IGNORED

Dead Space 3

Alan Stock

It's the most horror filled one yet*

horror includes the realisation of what has happened to the series

What has happened to it? Having read the reviews it seems that it's a good addition to the series with a mixed bag of new ideas. We were never likely to get another game like the original and, while it's not unreasonable to expect a better game, this hardly seems to be the disaster some people were anticipating.

Are they? I don't even know what those bits are, I assumed they were weapon packs and stuff, like in DS2.

DS2 had plenty of DLC at launch.

That video morrius posted makes it look like Gears of War.

Those sections don't look good, but all the reviews i've looked at (and comments online) indicate they are both short and infrequent, thankfully.

What has happened to it? Having read the reviews it seems that it's a good addition to the series with a mixed bag of new ideas. We were never likely to get another game like the original and, while it's not unreasonable to expect a better game, this hardly seems to be the disaster some people were anticipating.

But a bunch of people are trying to fit their responses to a predetermined narrative (it's a disaster) so any evidence to the contrary is ignored.

I think it's possibly going to be the weakest of the three in some regards, but 'weaker' than two really excellent high quality games like DS1/2 still leaves you with a pretty good game.

But hey people love hyperbole and it's either got to be the best DS yet otherwise it's an absolute failure as a Dead Space game, in all regards.

That Gamespot review is pretty positive.

''Playing solo, the tone feels like classic Dead Space, there are a few action heavy set pieces towards the start of the game but the bulk of the adventure is about isolation and terror''

Will you see anyone draw attention to comments like that when there's a juicy ''WORST GAME OF ALL TIME EVAH'' narrative to have fun with?

The reviews I've read suggest it's a solid but unimaginative Dead Space sequel peppered with spectacular moments, that's weighted down by a propensity for padding out what should be a ten-hour blast into a twenty-hour trudge.

Also, I've heard it takes about 4 hours for the necromorphs to really show up and replace the Church of Dudebro. Ahmoot.

The reviews I've read suggest it's a solid but unimaginative Dead Space sequel peppered with spectacular moments, that's weighted down by a propensity for padding out what should be a ten-hour blast into a twenty-hour trudge.

Also, I've heard it takes about 4 hours for the necromorphs to really show up and replace the Church of Dudebro. Ahmoot.

Well that's wrong for a start. They show up about 40 minutes into the game and that was with me taking my time. the first 2 hours or so have been very Uncharted/Gears of War, but now it's back to the usual territory for the Dead Space games (chapter 4 onwards) and I'm really enjoying it. The weapon crafting is also ace!

3/5 from Giantbomb, and it reads harsher than that score suggests.

http://www.giantbomb...-38270/reviews/

Unfortunately, I felt like the overall quality of the game began to cool rapidly the longer I spent on that damn ice planet. For one thing, physical setting aside, Dead Space 3's visual design is just drab. Remember how wildly varied the second game's environments were, how masterfully crafted its atmosphere? The frozen mausoleum, the overrun civilian shopping district, the gothic gloom of the Unitologist church: you always had some masterfully lit new area to marvel at. This game has two modes: industrial-military interior, and snow. The repetition goes beyond visual design, as the game engages in the cardinal sin of copying and pasting the same specific rooms over and over to pad out its level design. I lost count of the number of times I fought a bunch of enemies in the exact same explosives storage room, and while the problem gets so bad in the side missions that eventually I wished I'd stopped playing them, it also bleeds into the core story areas enough that everything just starts to run together after a while. There's also far less variety and creativity in the design of the enemy encounters than I remember from the last two games; after a few hours I felt like I could predict exactly when necromorphs were going to burst out of the air ducts, and exactly which ducts they'd come out of. There aren't a lot of new enemies, and even many of the series' old enemies are barely represented, as you'll spend the vast bulk of your time fighting the same handful of fodder necromorphs over and over... and over.

(Brad gave both previous games 5/5)

Did the VPN trick and am currently playing this solo offline.

The first chapter you start off and you are like 'what the FUCK is this ?' It's really not that good, you have a cinematic style sequence for a prologue and then the first chapter has you fighting humans. It makes sense from a story perspective but I didn't really enjoy playing it that much. But from Chapter 2 onwards, so far, it feels like Dead Space albeit much more faster paced. You are trudging along in a ship, killing necromorphs and doing quests. There's more to it than that but I'm trying to not really say too much, I did groan at one of the story 'developments' though. I am enjoying it so far but yeah, going from initial impressions only, it feels like the first two are better. The biggest problem is that it's got a cool atmosphere but I'm not finding it scary in the slightest, the necromorphs are just too well known now and you know what to expect 'Oh they'll jump out here!' or 'Theres an air vent...' etc However it still plays very nicely and shooting the necromorphs is fun. They feel even more deadly in this, there's no respite, they just fuckin run for you as soon as they see you. They feel more aggressive compared to the first two games. I'm not on the ice planet yet so I'm guessing that's where I'm heading next. I get the feeling this is where it might stop feeling so much like Dead Space. Weapon customisation seems very good and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can create.

I actually think it might be more fun going through it in coop first time, if it goes on for as long as reviews say it does then at least when playing along with a mate it'll be a laugh. However they've handled it very well, I don't feel like I'm missing out and there's no shitty AI following me, I really appreciate that.

Clippa, it's meant to have a close FOV, it's a third person survival horror action game. Nothing wrong with tweaking it to your liking though.

The Dead Space games are more horror action than survival horror though, especially the third one. I don't think I'd classify any Dead Space game as survival horror really.

Oh God, apparently reloading a half-full clip wastes any bullets left in that clip? I am FUCKED. I reload every two shots, it's a habit I can't break.

I didn't notice this and I'm exactly the same :D Seems to be plenty of ammo on normal so far and you really need it.

So, this seems like another Resident Evil 6 then. Fans of the series will probably like it and forgive it its faults, whilst the rest will get annoyed by them.

I'm not sure about that. I know plenty of Resi fans who said they'd never play a Resident Evil game again 6. I think it ended up doing quite a bit of damage to the franchise.