IGNORED

Les Miserables - Starring Jackman, Crowe and Hathaway

lordcookie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw this last night. It was too shiny and camp in places but every single time I started having negative thoughts like that something would come along make me bite my lip to stop blubbing.

I was all prepared to slate Hathaway as usual but my god, the prolonged close up shot of her singing I Dream a Dream and acting her little heart out's genuinely amazing IMO. I never knew she had it in her!

Éponine stole the show for me though. Had to keep my mouth stuffed with popcorn to keep the sobs in.

So yes, Crowe's a bit out of place but even he brings a weird vacant-eyed mono-mania to the role. Didn't mind Huge Action at all, in fact the only thing that really bugged me was Helene Bonham Carter reprising the only pantomime performance she seems capable of these days.

Could and should have been far more grimy but as a mega-bucks blockbuster it wasn't half bad and excellent in places. Weirdly more convincing than Lincoln as an informative historical drama too.

Yeah. Why he'd pick the goggle eyed alien looking warbler over Eponine is beyond reason. I can only assume he took a bump to the noggin or something as a child that messed up his view of the world.

Not really, Eponine is the savvy street kid that he's known for years, pretty much a female Gavorche. He doesn't view her as an object of desire. Costte is an ethereal mysterious vision of beauty that he meets and then is whisked away from him. Given Marius' character his behaviour is completely plausible. Even if 'ponine is hotter (and in most castings of Les Miz she is).

In the book Éponine and Gavroche are sister and brother but is that ever made clear in the musicals? Also in the book Éponine's a haggard waif with the looks of an old lady which makes Marius' feelings for her much more believable and her predicament even more tragic. Quite the opposite of the gorgeous creatures that play her on stage and screen.

Not really, Eponine is the savvy street kid that he's known for years, pretty much a female Gavorche. He doesn't view her as an object of desire. Costte is an ethereal mysterious vision of beauty that he meets and then is whisked away from him. Given Marius' character his behaviour is completely plausible. Even if 'ponine is hotter (and in most castings of Les Miz she is).

Yeah, I know...I was specifically speaking about this Eponine and this Cosette, though, cus Samantha barks is :wub: and Amanda goggle eyes is :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

I actually saw the stage show last night. The bloke who played Javert was amazing, whereas watching Russell Crowe sing was a bit weird - like seeing Pierce Brosnan singing in the 10 minutes of Mama Mia that I saw when I went in to the sitting room that time and my wife and daughter were watching it.