rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
lordcookie

Her - The new Spike Jonze/Charlie Kaufman Film

Couldn't even reach the end of this. So dull and drawn out. I loved the concept, the cast and what it potentially had to say but the reality was boring with an over emphasis on creepy. I'd usually lap up anything that Joaquin Phoenix is in but although there's no doubt this is an impressive acting performance his character was so annoying I just lost patience with him. A missed opportunity.

I saw this the other night - I really enjoyed it. But as Joaquin stands on the roof at the end of the film and stares, wistfully into the distance, I wanted him to say, choked up and barely on the edge of hearing,

"Who the fuck is going to organise my emails now?"

Warning: the following post contains gushing praise.

I really truly loved the film. I thought it was a beautifully crafted piece that had so much to say but all the while being enchanting and entertaining.

I felt that with every scene I was able to connect with and take away an inspiring thought or heartfelt message. It was filled with ideas that were perfectly executed. I've rarely experienced a world so cohesive that drew me in and guided me through the principal characters' journeys.

I especially loved Samantha. It's made me fall for Scarlett Johannson's voice :wub: Funnily I didn't recognise her voice for the whole film - perhaps it's because I've never heard her as a tender and loving companion. The films I've seen her in are either where she's some kind of smart know it all or as Black Widow.

The only issue I have with the film is:

where Samantha and Theodore have sex. I can't get my head around how Samantha has sexual desires. Can this be generated from knowledge alone?

• Upvote 1

Yes, if she is able to attain consciousness then why not?

I really need to stop thinking Amy Adams is Jenna Fischer is every film, I'm a retard.

Great film though.

• Upvote 1

The only issue I have with the film is:

where Samantha and Theodore have sex. I can't get my head around how Samantha has sexual desires. Can this be generated from knowledge alone?

She probably makes it so close as she can make it for herself, but she probably experiences something entirely different from a human's biological function.

The movie made me so depressed just now, and then I watched the forehead video and felt all better, thanks for that :lol:

It's been a while since I saw this so I might be misremembering, but isn't the whole "relationship-with-his-OS" a representation of his relationship with his ex-wife and an escape from processing his divorce?

He says at one point they fell in love, helped each other grow, and then one of them outgrew the other. Which is also what happens with Samantha. That's what I took the film to be about anyway. The OS stuff was a convincing sci-fi curiosity in the Black Mirror mold, but this was predominantly about a man recovering from a failed relationship. The end was hopeful as it hinted at a more meaningful connection with his similarly deserted neighbour.