IGNORED

Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Criterion, 2nd November, every format ever.

moosegrinder

I think the idea that studios don't release demos due to fear of a poor reception is a bit of a myth - im sure it has more to do with the time and resource it takes to build out a demo that could be spent on the final game. Of course I could be wrong in this instance though.

Gotters - while I agree a mistake-free race is important for those marked as hard, it is also possible to win when crashing once or twice. I've had a few events now where I'd been tempted to retry but stuck it out, only to have the police help me out by taking out a couple of cars in front that left me with a drag race to the line. That was good fun :)

The city does seem to be designed with little edges sticking out from buildings to catch you out in corners, but as far as I can remember thats always been a feature of this games and just means you have to learn the tracks a bit and use the brakes rather than slide round each corner against a building or barrier. Its definitely arcade, but it does want you to at least try and drive the tracks, which I personally like. More rewarding when you do get the win.

I'm not really understanding the dislike for this - maybe its because I haven't played Forza Horizon (not the full game anyway) so I'm not making direct comparisons. But for me this has been great fun so far in the few hours I've had with it and feels pretty polished.

Sounds very much like a Marmite game to me.

Right, talking about mixed opinions. Makes it all the more interesting though!

Still loving this game to bits, and I stand clear behind the 9/10 I gave it. Despite me recently driving Porsches (which wasn't that special considering I did it before), winning a competition (which I would enter and try to win with any game regardless of quality) and having the game a week early, I hope none of you see me as a biased journalist - the whole Doritos gate shook things up massively in the business, but let it be clear that my judgement of a game is NEVER influenced by anything but the quality of the game. Those of you here that truly know me, know that, I hope :)

Also, Need for Speed: Most Wanted keeps getting compared to Forza Horizon, while the only thing the two have in common are the launch window and the free-roaming structure. Had one game been released 6 months ago, no-one would have made the comparison. I try to see both as separate games, which happen to compliment each other, too.

Most Wanted definitely has some rough edges in the presentation department, with the framerate dipping on occasion. But to call the whole thing juvenile? It's nowhere like the shouty Need for Speed Underground/Most Wanted/Carbon style we had starting 10 years ago. Most Wanted is basically more in between the recent Hot Pursuit and Burnout Paradise, I reckon.

I find myself equal parts loving and loathing this.

It must do something right as I've sat and played it for a couple of hours this morning, a lot of that time thru gritted teeth, but I don't turn it off (which usually I would)

I think I was a bit harsh with calling it a 6 before, reckon its more of a 7 - the handling is sublime in places for an arcade style racer but there are faults with the package as a whole.

To those calling the game juvenile, can you please explain what you mean?

It feels and plays a lot like a game that a 7 year would enjoy immensely but not for someone who has been playing racing / driving games for years like most of us have here. In my opinion it lacks the maturity you get from previous NFS games , Forza, PGR & GT games. It seems to lack any kind of atmosphere and bottom line apart from the jumps, I just don't like it . I am usually quite forgiving about games and ignore most flaws but play this and then play Forza Horizon and tell me you can't tell the difference. Please bear in mind this is just my opinion , and I do welcome healthy constructive debate on the issue, sadly game has been traded and I spend my limited gaming time in Colorado.

Well, I'm game for a bit of arcade racer fun -- shame about the lack of hood camera though. Bumper cam seems v low to the ground, although it adds nicely to the already massive sense of speed. Looking forward to giving it a proper trot out after work.

I don't post much, but if there's no objections I'll add a few GTs here in the search for multiplayer fun.

Just spend some quality time in direct online multiplayer with moosegrinder and Gotters :) I had a blast, chasing each other around to the next event and figuring out new objectives every time.

Well, I'm game for a bit of arcade racer fun -- shame about the lack of hood camera though. Bumper cam seems v low to the ground, although it adds nicely to the already massive sense of speed. Looking forward to giving it a proper trot out after work.

I don't post much, but if there's no objections I'll add a few GTs here in the search for multiplayer fun.

Added! Joining us tonight? I'll be hosting from 8 PM on, possibly sooner.

I think the idea that studios don't release demos due to fear of a poor reception is a bit of a myth - im sure it has more to do with the time and resource it takes to build out a demo that could be spent on the final game. Of course I could be wrong in this instance though.

Well actually some company released a report a few years ago that stated that pre-release demos might actually be a bad idea, as they can reduce sales. You're better off releasing one way after the game has come out and you've gotten your week1 money or not bothering at all.

The game itself sounds a bit marmite, the pre-release demo for Paradise made it quite clear I wouldn't like the game and the scores didn't make me change my mind, and even when I played it again on the PC when EA gave it away once for free, I still didn't like it, so the initial impression from the demo was pretty much spot on (not saying it was a bad game, I just don't think much of aimless openworld games).

I only just remembered that I really didn't like Burnout Paradise at all, this sounds like (a slightly less good version of) that. With licenced cars instead of the daft fun cars Burnout games have. I had somehow forgotten my poor experience with that game :lol:

*Still hoping for them to make a proper sequel to Burnout 2, but would take a new Burnout Revenge or Takedown-style game*

It feels and plays a lot like a game that a 7 year would enjoy immensely but not for someone who has been playing racing / driving games for years like most of us have here. In my opinion it lacks the maturity you get from previous NFS games , Forza, PGR & GT games. It seems to lack any kind of atmosphere and bottom line apart from the jumps, I just don't like it . I am usually quite forgiving about games and ignore most flaws but play this and then play Forza Horizon and tell me you can't tell the difference. Please bear in mind this is just my opinion , and I do welcome healthy constructive debate on the issue, sadly game has been traded and I spend my limited gaming time in Colorado.

previous NFS game shad maturity?If you actually are citing a lack of structure or some lightweight plot elements i can understand, otherwise i'm at a bit of a loss.

Just spend some quality time in direct online multiplayer with moosegrinder and Gotters :) I had a blast, chasing each other around to the next event and figuring out new objectives every time.

Added! Joining us tonight? I'll be hosting from 8 PM on, possibly sooner.

it was very good actually and I can sense a governmental like u-turn coming on from me with this, it is a lot of fun, especially so in online

God I really hope you can drive fast cars really fast and powerslide around corners and race your mates and the AI Police and paint your cars and upgrade them and have *WHEEEEEEEEE* fucking amazing fun doing batshit mental jumps and crashes and shit.

In addition, I would very much appreciate the game including a suitable level of maturity whilst engaging in the aforementioned activities.

I only just remembered that I really didn't like Burnout Paradise at all, this sounds like (a slightly less good version of) that. With licenced cars instead of the daft fun cars Burnout games have. I had somehow forgotten my poor experience with that game :lol:

*Still hoping for them to make a proper sequel to Burnout 2, but would take a new Burnout Revenge or Takedown-style game*

I didn't like Burnout Paradise at all, either. I loved the last Hot Pursuit though, as much as I love this new Most Wanted.

God I really hope you can drive fast cars really fast and powerslide around corners and race your mates and the AI Police and paint your cars and upgrade them and have *WHEEEEEEEEE* fucking amazing fun doing batshit mental jumps and crashes and shit.

In addition, I would very much appreciate the game including a suitable level of maturity whilst engaging in the aforementioned activities.

:lol:

Fair enough that you don't like it - everyone is different. Doesn't sound like it's juvenile (at least not in the sense I would think it so), and simply more that you don't want this type of arcade racer.

I don't understand the immature comments either, it's no less "mature" than any of the other games listed. You can't tinker around under the hood of cars but as a streamlined, arcade racer it's incredibly well-made and accomplished. I've only played the single player aspect so far (for 3-4 hours or so) and don't really vibe with the negative feedback it's getting here - certainly enjoying it just as much as the last Criterion NFS effort.