IGNORED

Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Criterion, 2nd November, every format ever.

moosegrinder

Well, I've just finished it and unlocked the final car

Koenigsegg Agera R

and although I originally found the game a little disappointing when I started playing, I enjoyed it more, the more I played.

I still don't like the whole format of having to gain all the upgrades for each car from scratch so ended up only using a handful of cars throughout the majority of the game and I found that by the time you unlock a few of the mods for one car, you would be on to the next Most Wanted race. Just playing Multiplayer for a couple of hours gave me enough points to unlock the final 2 races too.

The cop chases also became fairly easy late in the game. You tend to work out their patterns and how to escape them fairly quickly. Once you have a car that outpaces them, they're not much bother. This is a shame. They only seem to bring out the SWAT vans when they block off the road and want you to go down a specific slip road during a race.

There's a lot of rubber banding with them too. For example, I had a wanted level of 6 but I ended up cruising along at a steady 100 mph to see what happened. There were 3 Corvettes in front who were all staying at the same distance from me and pushing into each other. Whilst they were originally dropping spike strips, they had stopped once I slowed down.

When I came to a standstill, they also stopped. No new cars came, the ones in front didn't move anywhere. I drove off slowly, they all dropped a spike strip at the same time, wiped each other out and I escaped the chase :lol:.

So yeah, I originally thought it was massively disappointing but it grew on me and by the end I quite enjoyed it, however, apart from multiplayer being great fun, I can't see much more that will make me want to come back and play it again in a few months. I'll probably unlock all the Pro mods for the final car and find the last couple of speed cameras and such, but that's about it.

PS. Single player completion time, 10h 43m, and that was taking it at a fairly leisurely pace and doing the Most Wanted battles as and when they came up.

What little I've played since picking this up earlier seems excellent. It looks great and handles enough like Hot Pursuit that it feels different to Burnout Paradise. Looking forward to getting into it.

Anyone else on PS3 add me for the Autolog.

PSN: GreenyGreenwell

Don't know about the PS3 version, but the 360 does, more so in multiplayer (well I find it does anyway).

Also, Instant Takedowns as a revenge perk in Multiplayer is horrendous, total game breaker imo. If anyone even slightly scuffs you, they go down. I racked up 12 takedowns in 2 minutes and was barely even moving. Not good, especially as everyone is creeping up on L30 now. It's going to destroy all the fun of multiplayer unless nobody uses it, and that's not going to happen with a group of randoms.

You are all mental. Burny Pee was bloody superb fun. It was Burnout 3 that was a load of hoary old bollocks.

I had some issues with Burnout 3 at the time as it was quite a diversion away from what I loved about Burnout 2. I'd take that over Paradise any day, though.

(And NFS:HP over both)

I don't understand why people are comparing this and Horizon? Other than the timing of their releases they're utterly different beasts, doing different things. The fact they both share the open world concept is incidental - it's like comparing Call of Duty and Battlefield 3.

To say that drifting is the only mechanic in Burnout/NFS is over simplification, but of course it's not a heavily physics/reality-based game so it's not going to play the same as Horizon.

Are they really that different? I don't agree but i've already compared it to HP which i prefer. If your paying the same price for two games of a similar genre, then all's fair to compare.

And i think you'll get more fun from your cash with Horizon then in this.

If you've got the money to buy both then you may have a point but not everyone has so given the choice between the two, Horizon does its thing better. That doesn't mean this is crap - but to me it doesn't offer much more then has gone before it because i've got plenty of other city racing games - so its effect is, IMO, subdued.

Whereas Horizon doesn't suffer that because it offers a better, more enjoyable handling model, with lots of cars on a wider variation of circuits. In fact the only real difference, short of locale, is it doesn't have police.

But to me they're pretty similar in many ways, therefore they're ripe for comparison.

I catch your drift, and in certain ways they could be compared, but in the end I think we wouldn't be having this whole discussion had the two been released more apart. It's like comparing Test Drive Unlimited to Burnout: Paradise - you can from certain points of view (similarly priced racing games in an open world on the arcade side of things - that's it), but it's a bit pointless really.

As for 'doing its thing better': Most Wanted wins that hands-down for me. Far more innovative as a video game (Autolog 2.0, very much variety in multiplayer), while Forza Horizon basically just lets you drive in an open world instead of on a track. Both are still great racing games offering strong experiences, mind.

But given they have been released very close, it means some people are going to be stuck in that dilemma.

If you were too take each game on its own merits then its, as i or you say, a pretty good update (the technical issues are odd given Burnout Paradise or HP didn't really have any - so in this respect it feels like a backward step) but it handles well and the racing is fine but - as a seasoned racer - there does come a point where we've played so many similarly styled racers on the 360.

But hey if it ain't broke...

Well after a worrying first 30 minutes this has now well and truly clicked with me..

It's a bit of an odd one at first as it basically just throws everything the game has to offer at you from the moment you start, which can be a little overwhelming.. but after a few events everything starts to fall into place, and the sheer scale of the playground that's on offer starts to hit home!

I had some serious reservations around how this would sit with me given my love for the original (and HP). Thankfully, after a five hour session, I really do think they have done a cracking job of fusing the two together. The races have all the heart in mouth moments that made Hot Pusuit such a joy, mixed with the option for classic Most Wanted 15-20 minute police chases across the entire map, all with seemless Autlog integration thrown in for good measure. It's just pure arcade racing crack!

The fact some people (judging by the ingame stats) appear to have written it off after just a couple of events is disappointing.. I'd certainly suggest sticking with it until you've taken down your first couple of Wanted cars.. If it hasn't grabbed you by then, then I doubt it will.

Oh and a special mention must also go out to the rather excellent soundtrack, don't think there's a single track I wanted to turn off!

So yeah cracking stuff, and I'm already dying to dive back in and start working my way up those Autolog leaderboards!

Has anyone who pre-ordered online with Sainsburys received their copy today? Post has been and mine has not turned up. :( I've had quite a few games from them recently and always arrived on release day, until today.

My Sainsburys preorder turned up when I got home from work (on 2nd November)

Just started this. Haven't gone through the thread, but on 360 every now and again I'm getting what I can only describe as a stutter/framerate sort of skip for a split second every now and again. Anyone else having that?

I also noticed this on my PS3....

Edited by aidey6

Not felt this out of step with a games reviews for a long time. It just isn't clicking for me - mainly because of the horribly punishing crashes which seems to be so counter intuitive to hooning around in an open world arcade racing game. It's just not fun smashing into walls when you're trying out a short cut or over cook a corner or smash into oncoming cars. Maybe I'm looking back on Burnout etc with rosé tinted glasses but I remembered the crashing having a point then here it just feels like a fun sapping pointless inclusion. I'm either allowed to drive round barely touching the brake peddle and just drifting and can bounce off things, or I'm playing a proper racing racing game where I'm looking for the apex and breaking accordingly and know I'll be punished if I hit something - this feels like a strange hybrid of the two where it's just not fun. Also I don't get the police chases - as a result of the aforementioned crashing to me they just become an irritation and end up turning it into GTA when I'm in the open world bits... Again if I'm in an open world piss about racer I want to be able to drive into the oncoming lane and only have to worry about traffic not be chased by a policeman for being naughty.

Multiplayer seems quite good fun and I imagine playing with mates it'd be ace but from the randoms I played with it just turns in a smash fest and not in a particularly fun way.

Shame as I was looking forward to this off the reviews as a companion to Horizon. But this heads to the trade in pile for me.

So yeah cracking stuff, and I'm already dying to dive back in and start working my way up those Autolog leaderboards!

I spent a good two hours and probably 30 or so attempts to beat your time of 1:02 something in Keys of the City, and I STILL failed. Will have to upgrade my 911 Carrera S :ph34r:

I totally smashed your time on a few other events, though!

Not felt this out of step with a games reviews for a long time. It just isn't clicking for me - mainly because of the horribly punishing crashes which seems to be so counter intuitive to hooning around in an open world arcade racing game. It's just not fun smashing into walls when you're trying out a short cut or over cook a corner or smash into oncoming cars. Maybe I'm looking back on Burnout etc with rosé tinted glasses but I remembered the crashing having a point then here it just feels like a fun sapping pointless inclusion. I'm either allowed to drive round barely touching the brake peddle and just drifting and can bounce off things, or I'm playing a proper racing racing game where I'm looking for the apex and breaking accordingly and know I'll be punished if I hit something - this feels like a strange hybrid of the two where it's just not fun. Also I don't get the police chases - as a result of the aforementioned crashing to me they just become an irritation and end up turning it into GTA when I'm in the open world bits... Again if I'm in an open world piss about racer I want to be able to drive into the oncoming lane and only have to worry about traffic not be chased by a policeman for being naughty.

Multiplayer seems quite good fun and I imagine playing with mates it'd be ace but from the randoms I played with it just turns in a smash fest and not in a particularly fun way.

Shame as I was looking forward to this off the reviews as a companion to Horizon. But this heads to the trade in pile for me.

Have you tried multiplayer with friends yet? It might just turn you around, like sort of with Gotters and Ryodi. I'll be hosting tonight from around 8 PM!

The one thing I noticed was that if you're on the wrong side of the road heading towards traffic the cars do NOTHING except flash their lights.

In other games they obviously swerve out the way which makes it a bit forgiving. Frustrating!

Does the frame rate suffer in ps3 and 360?

Digital Foundry say the PS3 is the most consistent with barely any drop below 30fps during gameplay. The 360 drops to the low 20s in some situations (heavy use of alpha effects).

The lack of a HDD install for the PS3 does mean loading takes around twice as long as the 360 (so restarting events is 15 or so seconds rather than 7-8 and there are spark effects missing on the PS3 version (when cars scrape along barriers).

tl;dr

PS3 has long load times, most solid frame-rate, missing sparks.

360 has faster load times, all effects, some frame-rate drops in heavy smoke, damage situations.

Dear U-1,

I will keep beating your scores as seen on Autolog. I'll be the gum under your shoe, the nail on your bike trail, the bug in your air intake. You will not lose me.

Yours,

Joe McSpeed

:lol: Time will tell Mr McSpeed, time will tell!

As for that Keys of the City event, it was one of those runs that only comes along once in a while.. once it all clicks its just :wub:

I'd also love to join for some online racing tonight, but it's the good lady's Strictly/X-Factor evening so I may have to stick to Autolog for the time being.

The surreal intros are certainly new - my Atom just got attacked by a stack of Police cars that had formed a tower of spinning swat vans :blink: I quite like them. :)

Yeah was going to mention those too.. They are a really nice little touch (and thankfully instantly skippable for when you are on your 20th retry!)

There's a speed trap event for some cars titled 'Gravity' I must have done 50-60 retries last night trying to hit the 140mph average speed with an end result of 139.6mph.

Tried it today and nailed it first time with an average of 150mph :coffee:

When it clicks its just perfect and is now giving me flashbacks of those perfect events on Hot Pursuit which ended up being incredibly addictive. I was pretty hopeless last night and homed in on every edge and barrier sticking out but today its all come to fruition and its feeling oh so right.

Absolutely fantastic game.

A lack of crash cam when you hit someone is seriously missing by virtue of the fact its very satisfying. I wonder if EA wanted it out so it wasn't connected with Burnout.

Its not very satisfying when it takes you out of your concentration zone and ruins the perfect run you're aiming for. For me it was the right decision to take it out when it comes to timed races/events.

Not getting on with this at all. They seem to have exacerbated the elements I didn't like in Paradise. The city looks very impressive but I don't find it fun to race around, having so many 90 degree angles might be realistic for a US city, but in (my opinion) it doesn't make for enjoyable racing. When you're hurtling along at 130mph it's far too easy to end up shooting down the wrong road in a middle of a race, at which point you might as well give up and concede last place. I wish they'd made more liberal use of the glowing virtual chevrons instead of having you rely on a GTA style mini-map. My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I feel that it's far easier to set off the crash camera than in Paradise (which is an issue in itself, I'm sure that someone at Criterion is very proud of their cinematic crashes, but I just want to get back to the bloody race).

A lot of people are saying that multiplayer is where it's at, but my experience is that you spend more time on busywork, getting to and waiting for events, than on the events themselves. While everyone is waiting it inevitably turns into dodgem cars and more than once I've been left facing the wrong way, or shunted down a side alley, when a race starts while everyone zooms off into the distance. Sorry for the negativity, I'm glad other people are having a ball with it, but after enjoying Paradise (although I had some issues with it) and Criterion's last Need for Speed game, this is a disappointment for me.

Its not very satisfying when it takes you out of your concentration zone and ruins the perfect run you're aiming for. For me it was the right decision to take it out when it comes to timed races/events.

They should have just left the takedown cam in and put an option in so you could turn it on or off.

Though having just crashed on the 2nd to last corner of Import Duty and had the computer start me on the boat and facing the wrong way I suspect it wasn't an aesthetic choice rather it was just glitching to hell and they had to pull it to make release date.

Shame really as I really like watching my handywork.

I suppose an option to turn it of would have been the best bet.. But Im with Revival, that although it looked nice, I lost count of the number of times it buggered me up in Hot Pursuit.. especially when you really start to push for beating Autolog times etc.