IGNORED

Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Criterion, 2nd November, every format ever.

moosegrinder

I'm really enjoying this. A lot of the stuff I was unsure about really works in practice - the lack of a takedown cam is a bit of a shame, but the racing is so fast and intense you can see why they took it out. I was worried that it would feel too much like Burnout Paradise as well, but that's not the case - it takes a lot of stuff from that game, but it takes as much from Hot Pursuit as well, so it feels like it's own thing, rather than just a remake of one or the other.

One question, though - how do you unlock the most wanted vehicles? It says you have to shut down your opponent in the most wanted races, which I assume means take them down, but I did that and nothing happened.

You need to win the race, then chase after them in easy drive once the race is over and take them down. They appear on your map as a black arrow.

Edit: Oh and I'm sure someone was complaining earlier about getting waylaid every time they found a new car. You don't actually have to get into a car to unlock it, just trigger the "jackpoint found" pop up. It'll be then available from the change car sub-menu when you feel like taking it for a spin.

Just started this. Haven't gone through the thread, but on 360 every now and again I'm getting what I can only describe as a stutter/framerate sort of skip for a split second every now and again. Anyone else having that?

I fixed this by switching the music from shuffle to sequential. Seemed to work for me.

With the PC version I improved the framerate by running RadeonPro and forcing all games to use vsync and triple buffering. Definitely made a noticeable difference. I could of setup a profile just for this game but I was being lazy.

Good work on beating my Keys of the City time Joe....

......but you may want to check again! ;)

I've barely moved on past the opening set of races thanks to bloody Autolog!

For fuck's sake. It took me about 50 bloody tries to be the first in my list to get below a minute, and here you are again!

So not going to spend another night trying. No, really. Tomorrow, you're going down 8)

With the PC version I improved the framerate by running RadeonPro and forcing all games to use vsync and triple buffering. Definitely made a noticeable difference. I could of setup a profile just for this game but I was being lazy.

Yeah there appears to be a problem with their AA method. One i don't recall existing in HP.

They should have just left the takedown cam in and put an option in so you could turn it on or off.

Though having just crashed on the 2nd to last corner of Import Duty and had the computer start me on the boat and facing the wrong way I suspect it wasn't an aesthetic choice rather it was just glitching to hell and they had to pull it to make release date.

Shame really as I really like watching my handywork.

I think its easy enough to remedy because you just have the game start you in the middle. What i always did with Burnout was too strike and move to the centre - i never felt the game put me at a disadvantage after returning to driving cam.

I think its easy enough to remedy because you just have the game start you in the middle. What i always did with Burnout was too strike and move to the centre - i never felt the game put me at a disadvantage after returning to driving cam.

Neither did I. Occasionally I would actually use it to my advantage in a race by intentionally going into a corner way too fast on completely the wrong line but make the turn by taking out an opponent: after the takedown cam played you'd have miraculously made the corner despite heading straight at a wall at 180mph.

Teleporting police are the most annoying thing about this game. As soon as you hear the dispatcher requesting SUVs you know two of three of them are going to magically appear right in front of you which if your escaping down a narrow road gives you no time to avoid them

Teleporting police are the most annoying thing about this game. As soon as you hear the dispatcher requesting SUVs you know two of three of them are going to magically appear right in front of you which if your escaping down a narrow road gives you no time to avoid them

This and the annoying rubber-banding AI I would say are massively annoying issues for me; the latter is worse than Mario Kart for rubber-banding. I see little point in taking down the Most Wanted cars, since they invariably catch you up very quickly.

It wasn't this bad in Hot Pursuit was it?

I've never seen a developer get so much prominence in the marketing of a game. Before Skyfall at the cinema they had an ad for this and A CRITERION GAME was almost as large as the game's title. Usually the most you get is a 'from the creator of'. EA might as well have called it Need for Speed: Honest, This Year's Isn't Shit.

Speaking of which, what's going to happen in the non-Criterion years. Do people still have to live in fear of Black Box, or maybe EA will copy their Bioware tactic and rename Black Box, or some other other studio, and in November 2013 and we'll be getting Need for Speed: Underground, Overground, Wombling Free from Criterion Albuquerque.

Oh, I'm already prepared for another pile of Need for Shit next year. We had the atrocious Need for Speed: The Run last year, which took out all the momentum the franchise gained with Hot Pursuit. (I did like Shift 2, but since that's officially a spin-off series now, I'm not counting it.)

We'll see. I'm really enjoying this Most Wanted and I hope to do so at least until the end of this year - which should be manageable considering the Autolog madness going on now :)

According to NeoGAF, the first week of Forza Horizon outsold all versions of NFS: MW combined. Apparently NFS:MW sold approximately 17,000 more that NFS: The Run (which itself sold around half of Hot Pursuit). EA putting out an absolute turd like The Run (I played it, seriously it was dreadful) may have put off a lot of the audience they won back to the series with Hot Pursuit Putting your big Christmas game out the same week as Assassin's Creed III wasn't the brightest idea either.

According to NeoGAF, the first week of Forza Horizon outsold all versions of NFS: MW combined. Apparently NFS:MW sold approximately 17,000 more that NFS: The Run (which itself sold around half of Hot Pursuit). EA putting out an absolute turd like The Run (I played it, seriously it was dreadful) may have put off a lot of the audience they won back to teh series with Hot Pursuit Putting your big Christmas game out the same week as Assassin's Creed III wasn't the brightest idea either.

And with Halo released a few days later too.

According to NeoGAF, the first week of Forza Horizon outsold all versions of NFS: MW combined. Apparently NFS:MW sold approximately 17,000 more that NFS: The Run (which itself sold around half of Hot Pursuit). EA putting out an absolute turd like The Run (I played it, seriously it was dreadful) may have put off a lot of the audience they won back to the series with Hot Pursuit Putting your big Christmas game out the same week as Assassin's Creed III wasn't the brightest idea either.

Its a very good point. I can only assume EA have some huge titles approaching Christmas because of all the games a racer on the 360 doesn't want to go up against its Forza. And whilst NFS is available on all formats, the 360 is probably its biggest earner.

As a racer we should be over the moon of course...but i think a week or two more would have seen it sell more.

Oh, I'm already prepared for another pile of Need for Shit next year. We had the atrocious Need for Speed: The Run last year, which took out all the momentum the franchise gained with Hot Pursuit. (I did like Shift 2, but since that's officially a spin-off series now, I'm not counting it.)

We'll see. I'm really enjoying this Most Wanted and I hope to do so at least until the end of this year - which should be manageable considering the Autolog madness going on now :)

A dead series right now mate - although EA retain all the rights SMS were able to at least keep the engine so i don't know if EA will get someone to revive it and if they did they'll only poke their stupid useless nose in it.

Oh come on. It was awful.

Sorry P-dogg - but it managed to be the only game with worse handling then TDU2.

The only thing great about it was the graphics (which i secretly liked). I suppose they did at least populate their levels with trains (and accurately too) - more then MW and Burnout P could muster.

Did you get it cheap? I hope you did then i'll shut up because it was worth it at a budget price.

Its a very good point. I can only assume EA have some huge titles approaching Christmas because of all the games a racer on the 360 doesn't want to go up against its Forza. And whilst NFS is available on all formats, the 360 is probably its biggest earner.

As a racer we should be over the moon of course...but i think a week or two more would have seen it sell more.

No, PS3 is the main platform for EA, has been for a while. Many games are developed for that in the first place and ported to the others (although the 360 version of MW has more visual effects, at the cost of the framerate, mind).

The release timing of Most Wanted is quite unfortunate, still.

Well I've just had a surprise, a promo copy's just been delivered all the way from the Netherlands (cheers, Joe :hat: ).

You guys' Autolog times better be good otherwise you'll be seeing an old favourite avatar of mine spreading like a disease across your leaderboards.

I think Black Box were quietly removed from developing Need for Speed games, after The Run (which I thought was OK, glacial loading times and general glitchiness aside). EA Gothenburg are apparently developing new games for the series, alongside Criterion.

Hot Pursuit fans, is this better?

Hmm. I'm really enjoying it but I wouldn't say it is better than Hot Pursuit.

I'm enjoying this, and I also enjoyed Paradise but I do admit that racing games do tend to work better with specific, memorable tracks which Hot Pursuit had in abundance. In fair Hot Pursuit really had the best of both worlds in that it was really all just one map but it wasn't based in a city and it really felt as if all these tracks had been designed separately and then stitched together to make the map.