Defiance - Watch the Show. Play the Game.

Yeah it's certainly not a looker on consoles. It's a bit brown looking and has some rough textures which aren't exactly helped by the generic style.

But it's very fast to get you in and once you've got the quad-bike you can bang about places seamlessly with zero loading and even when things get hectic on a Arkfall mission with loads of other players the game is more than up to it :)

360 version was a bit borked before, assets crucial to progression didn't appear with they should and you couldn't link up with friends. Shame as I wanted another little blast

I had that on the ps3 version. The biss battle on sniper ridge? Almost didn't happen. Sure there was a cut scene with missing audio assets. And then played a second time without rendering the boss, but if you stand around long enough the game catches up with you.

Saying that, invisible grenade spamming FTW!

can't resist playing it, opened up another area and really enjoying the exploring and the likes, voice acting is iffy but the core game is fun.

Yet to play the big open mp battles, they look really superb from what ive seen on vids and the likes.

PC beta has ended but believe the ps3 and 360 finishes on wednesday.

mentioned it before but they really have been fixing this super quick and addressing alot of occurring problems making the game run right. I like that rather than EA leaving you hanging for a week.

Loads more bugs - mostly assets not spawning which caused the 2 restarts, but also the aforementioned sniper ridge loop thing, invisible guns, you name it. Certainly looks rich in content (if not in variety of enemy) and it's one of those where you can see the gear other players are using and you think - if I keep playing, I'll have a bit of that!

I looted a grenadier and got a VOS plasma thingie, high rate of fire/damage.

Then I realised that while only two weapons plus grenades are equipped, I was still carrying my frontier shotty.

There's a perk that deals more damage to staggered enemies, too.

Did a couple of hellspawn crystal things, came second on two of them.

NO REWARD

well fuck you too!

Also, why are some people driving bintrucks instead if the quads? Seems daft...

The bin truck you drive as part of a mission SeanR , I have a pick up now.

Had some encounters with a few more mutant enemy types including one with a drop shield, hard as nails too.

Its a day one for me as you can see alot of love has gone into this over the 5 years, and really respect the way in which the bugs and niggles have been addressed with feedback on all the social channels.

Loving this so far. Had a couple of bugs, one stopped all enemies and missions loading so i had to restart.

ran to a crystal and shot the crap out of it with 22 other people. Finally destroyed it and my console locked up.

Enjoying this a whole lot more tonight, by getting on with the main quest line in a mixed solo / ad-hoc co-op way. Getting a blue weapon always helps of course. Looking forward to watching the show too to get a better feel for the background and story.

I finally got stuck again after defending some dude's farm from the bugs (critters, not the coding variety) He went off to get his stash and then just stayed there by a haystack and wouldn't move. Game over.

So I just pootered around a bit on the bike and explored the southern side of the map - and encountered the raiders for the first time.

The big feet bug was pretty funny too.

Still interested though.

I just keep getting "a sign in change has occured" whenever I try to join. Any ideas?

I had to delete my profile, then re-download it before it worked for me. Apparently if you sign in and out again a few times it should fix it, but that method didn't work for me. There's more info over at their forums.

Not especially interested in the game, but am intrigued (highly sceptical) about how the alleged interactivity between game and show will work. I can see show to game changes being easy and preplanned to implement, as they know where the show is going, but how could it reasonably work the other way? Seeing as this is presumably one of the main attractions, how can players genuinely influence the show in anything like realtime? Seeing as pretty much the whole series will be already done (at least from a script/principal photography perspective). Maybe big in game events will have a digital outcome and they shoot two sequences, and drop the appropriate one in during post production? Or maybe in-game outcomes from the next few weeks will go into the very end of the series or the next series (when for gamers it will be a distant memory)...

I thought opening up the beta this week was an inspired act. I wouldn't have given this game a second thought otherwise, but I really enjoyed it, despite the pretty basic gameplay - most quests seem to comprise go to location, clear out mutants, interact at 4 points and defend an NPC against a wave. There are other things to do however even in SP, and the entire map could be massive, judging by the area covered by the beta.

I am worried about bugs though given the single save structure - basic assets not spawning for example, which you can do bugger all about on a console. Having a huge server with dozens of players potentially accessing the same quests simultaneously sounds like a recipe for disaster.

2 weeks with the game then before the show kicks off.

my shopto copy has shipped and fingers crossed it rolls up tomorrow.

Received this which was encouraging as it mentions the 360 beta was earlier code

It doesn't matter when it arrives Dave, we'll all be playing at the same time next Tuesday :D

The more I played the beta the more it stuck with me, the combat got better with better weapons and it just stayed consistently fun for the whole time I played it. Hell I got more time out of the beta than I did with full purchases of other shooters!

Really looking forward to the full release now. From what I can gather things from the show can effect the game but I don't think it goes the other way as the writers of the show weren't too keen on that. Apart from that if the show ends up being shit and dies a death keeping them separate to an extent allows Trion to continue on with the game and do their own thing if needbe. As far as I know Trion own all game rights so the end of the show wouldn't mean the game dying out (unless its player count died etc)

What impressed me the most was the level of support shown by Trion throughout the weekend and on their forums. Constant communications with the fans and always updating. Was very nice to see and bodes well for the full game.

• Upvote 1

I thought the beta was really mediocre. Felt very old fashioned. Should be a free to play game this with in game weapon / armour purchases. I can see this bombing at retail. On consoles anyway.

I don't think it will. We have a shit load of pre-orders for it. Almost as many as bioshock.

I don't think it will. We have a shit load of pre-orders for it. Almost as many as bioshock.

Out of curiosity did this happen after the beta or before ? Just wondering how much effect the beta had on preorders. The steam bar for the 3 tier unlocks has shot up into the third tier now. Before it was barely moving. Now of course that doesn't mean they haven't 'bumped' it up a bit but still, ya never know! Maybe a lot of folk just enjoyed the beta.