rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
HarMGM

Rumour: Sega closing it's Euro branch, to focus on mobile and table games now

Oh dear, Gamekyo posted a little tidbit that indicates a bit of a massive shift for Sega.

For anybody that can read French, here is the original link:

http://www.gamekyo.c...-fermeture.html

Google translate gives us this:

Sega Europe to announce its closing?

On the eve of E3 2012, we are able to inform you, according to our credible sources, that Sega Europe will be finally closed in the coming months as well as all the local branches in Europe like Sega France. This is partly a consequence of the ineffectiveness of Sega's strategy over the past several years of developing games by western developers. At the same time, Sega will also announce, according to these sources, they will no longer develop AAA games on consoles, but will focus on digital games for cell phones and notably tablets. Sega's last big title developed by Creative Assembly will be presented at E3 2012 in a few days. Furthermore, remember that Sega has announced they will not be at Gamescom 2012.

So in conclusion:

-No more AAA titles from Sega

-Mostly iOS and Android stuff

-Bye bye consoles and PC for Sega

Gives new meaning to the phrase "Nintendo to go the path of Sega" doesn't it?

On one hand it IS still a rumor, but considering that Sega has not been performing that well and has announced that they won't be joining GamesCom, this doesn't seem to unlikily sadly.

I hate to say that marketing makes games but in the past few years I've only known that some of their games had come out after seeing them on the shelf in the local store (talking primarily DS here.)

Surely Football Manager and Total War are some of their few big franchises left? Would be insane to shut those down.

This would be the end for Sega.

Surely Football Manager and Total War are some of their few big franchises left? Would be insane to shut those down.

This would be the end for Sega.

Yes, and the mobile version of fm has made them more money than the full pc release.

Nah, doesn't make sense. For starters, they just opened a new studio not too long ago; "Hammerhit" or "Hammerstrike" or somesuch - there was news about it a while back. They've yet to release anything.

They have just laid off a load of people though, including a friend of mine who is a senior producer with like 8 years service. Its not looking good.

Man, this industry sucks now. Remember when you were young and all you saw were these magical games that made you happy?

These days it's all 'Company A made a pretty generic game and made billions. Company B made a great game and they're going out of business.'

So very awful.

• Upvote 1

What great"AAA" ( I hate that term) games have Sega made in the last two years?

Serious question. I can't think of any.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Binary Domain to start with.

Other games that come to mind, Shogun 2 and the Yakuza games, even if Yakuza isn't that popular in the west. You've got the Football Manager series as well which makes a fucking mint. I mean what exactly is a AAA title ? Are we talking about budget, game quality, popularity etc ?

With marketing it should have been big though.

I'm really not sure about that. I loooooove the game to bits as well but it's very japanese in its approach to its story and I'm not sure how well that would go down with your typical shooter audience. Not saying it wouldn't have been big, I'd love it to have been a massive success and spawn a sequel, but I don't think marketing would have guaranteed it but it at least would have had a chance.

Maybe if the characters had jaws like boxes and stared at each other for eight minutes straight during cutscenes saying the word 'fuck' over and over again it may have been marketable in the west.

Ah, and the robots would have to bleed for no logical reason.

/bitter

• Upvote 3

Man, this really sucks :(

I too long for the days when videogames were only made for people keenly interested in videogames (the core gamers?), when developers weren't running after every fad that came along and were allowed unfettered creative freedom by their publishers.

I always have wondered if videogames would still exist if they 'd never become the mass medium they are today, but had remained a bit of a niche like they were in the 1990s...

Never even heard of Binary Domain, so it fails the AAA Test already.

I'm certainly not surprised you haven't heard of it but I also highly recommend it anyway, might as well take this chance to pimp it :D

Sega haven't done anything special in last 5 years and it is sad to see games industry losing lot of talents development team over last 15 years. It is no wonder there are still some quality games coming out. What would games industry be like if the original team still develop games ie sensible software, bullfrog, bitmaps brothers, sega, lucasarts, and co.

Never even heard of Binary Domain, so it fails the AAA Test already.

Which is why the AAA category seemingly being the only one that matters to publishers is a blight upon videogames.

Binary Domain's one of two games that's genuinely impressed me so far this year. Dragon's Dogma being the other.

Oh, wait. Asura's Wrath was a very pleasant surprise given that it's a QTE driven experience.

• Upvote 2

Maybe Sony can take in the Yakuza team? The Yakuza series is a Sony exclusive anyway and they have a pretty big following in Japan at least. A new Yakuza title at or close to launch of the PS4 in Japan would bring in a decent amount of sales. But most importantly, I need my Yakuza fix - bad.