Zombi U - Not Zombie U, that's not the title.

Professor Puzzles

no true endgame?

I don't think that bit is actually true - all the demos etc so far include references to mission objectives and the like flashing up on screen. And the PR woman from Ubisoft said something like "you might only get one person through to the end" - which clearly means there is an end to get to. Perhaps though, if you reach the end with one person you simply then warp to try again with the next - so she was right in that you are trying to reach the end with as many different survivors as possible?

I'll stick my neck out - it'll have no checkpoints per se, you'll swap characters as you die, but it'll be otherwise pretty linear and will have some kind of level-type structure which allows for savepoints.

No checkpoints, any and all character progress lost after death, no true endgame? Basically some kind of infinite score attack thing then.

Sorry guys, but I'm going to call it. It'll be shit.

Feedback from those playing it is overwhelmingly positive....

No checkpoints, any and all character progress lost after death, no true endgame? Basically some kind of infinite score attack thing then.

Sorry guys, but I'm going to call it. It'll be shit.

This is exactly what Day Z does. It's fucking amazing. Seriously.

Feedback from those playing it is overwhelmingly positive....

Based on 10-15 minutes of play on the floor. I'm more worried what'll happen if you've been playing for 2 hours building up your character and inventory and then get surprised by a zombie and lose all your progress without a save game or checkpoint to go back to.

It sounds more relentless than Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, at least there you get to keep your XP, level, skills and goods bar souls/humanity!

It does sound interesting, I agree with that, but I genuinely wonder if the frustration won't hit the roof after your 3rd death or so.

You'd hate dayz then. I can see this being a slightly streamlined dayz type game. Obviously no where near as open world but with a good sense if freedom. Perhaps a nice return to good old fashioned survival horror. Also given the good reception the game is getting then we may see ubisoft giving the game more resources for a nice finally spit and polish.

Based on 10-15 minutes of play on the floor. I'm more worried what'll happen if you've been playing for 2 hours building up your character and inventory and then get surprised by a zombie and lose all your progress without a save game or checkpoint to go back to.

It sounds more relentless than Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, at least there you get to keep your XP, level, skills and goods bar souls/humanity!

It does sound interesting, I agree with that, but I genuinely wonder if the frustration won't hit the roof after your 3rd death or so.

I don't think it's quite that extreme. I guess it's a bit more like Dark Souls where you'll go back, but if you make it back to where you died you'll be able to retrieve what you had collected from the zombie of your previous character.

So Ubisoft were making a generic sci-fi shooter. Saw how amazing Day Z was and how it's exploded in popularity in hardly any time. Tried to rip it off.

Shame they have seemingly missed out on the fact that it's the intensity and stories you forge yourself in Day Z which makes it so brilliant. This just looks like Dead Island where you can ultimately go round hitting and shooting things with little trouble :(

Flesh-eating bobbies, on-fire Queens Guard zombies, Buckingham Palace in Buckingham where you have to 'find access to the nursery'.

Day one! Hopefully one of the bosses is a three-storey high Queen Mother with laser eyes. :omg:

Where a Zombie Prince Charles returns 'to the womb' like in HOTD Overkill

So Ubisoft were making a generic sci-fi shooter. Saw how amazing Day Z was and how it's exploded in popularity in hardly any time. Tried to rip it off.

Shame they have seemingly missed out on the fact that it's the intensity and stories you forge yourself in Day Z which makes it so brilliant. This just looks like Dead Island where you can ultimately go round hitting and shooting things with little trouble :(

you're talking shite

What? Have you even looked at the game? It has perma death and you can only survive one or two hits apparently.

You'd hate dayz then. I can see this being a slightly streamlined dayz type game. Obviously no where near as open world but with a good sense if freedom. Perhaps a nice return to good old fashioned survival horror. Also given the good reception the game is getting then we may see ubisoft giving the game more resources for a nice finally spit and polish.

Well, the cynical side of me says they've just put together some rushed ideas - a few good, and a few probably missing the mark - and a fashionable setting and don't bother to put a game in because it'll sell anyway. Ubi launch titles are seldom praised for their depth, polish or staying power. Although Shadow Wars was pretty good. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I wonder if people would be equally excited if this was a PS3 or 360 title rather than the only marginally interesting looking title in a dire looking launch line up.

I'd be more excited if it was a PS3 or 360 title, as I'd be more likely to buy it (not sure I'll get a Wii U). Ideally it would be released on the PC, though I do like the idea of using the gamepad for the inventory system.

What? Have you even looked at the game? It has perma death and you can only survive one or two hits apparently.

Have you watched the second video that got posted (no idea if it's the same as the first)? The way those commentators talk about how awesome and revolutionary the perma death stuff is makes me want to kick them in the cunt. Seriously. This is totally ripping off Day Z, and not in a good way.

It's not too dissimilar to how Zynga rip off other games that do well on ios.

Have you watched the second video that got posted (no idea if it's the same as the first)? The way those commentators talk about how awesome and revolutionary the perma death stuff is makes me want to kick them in the cunt. Seriously. This is totally ripping off Day Z, and not in a good way.

what is wrong with your brain

Didn't Day Z come out about a month ago?

Yeah, this is why I'm not entirely convinced this wasn't already in production especially if Ubisoft are going to release this for WiiU's launch (im assuming here). Could you really knock something like that up in a month and ready for E3, never mind a full retail release later this year ?

Day Z surfaced in the media during April.

That video Strategos posted clearly show how they have had the London setting sorted for a while. Add in some generic zombies and talk about how there is perma death and whatnot (things Day Z has already) and job done!

If this is just a massive coincidence then kudos to Ubisoft but I really doubt that..

NOW you're talking shit. Not everyone has a PC to run DayZ. Not everyone wants the fucking about with Arma II and files that currently go hand in hand with DayZ (which will change now it's going to be part and parcel). Just be happy there are more Zombie roguelikes in the world and chil the fuck out.

What is the opinion on the graphics for this game? They don't look above and beyond the current gen from what ive seen but perhaps the images we have seen is not the best showcase? Are there fancy effects going on anywhere ?

Edge is positive as well:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-2012-zombieu-wii-us-brightest-prospect

It's intriguing stuff, and brave from Ubisoft too, especially after Nintendo's conference leant more towards the casual than the core. This, by contrast, is about as hardcore as it gets, a sort of offlineDay-Z with no-one else around to spoil it for you. There's no indication of release date, but if this is on shelves on day one, Wii U's fortunes are already looking up.

Ubi really is the publisher of the show.

• 1 month later...