Zombi U - Not Zombie U, that's not the title.

Professor Puzzles

Oh right, so the only point to them is when you want to stop playing? Oh well.

I think the permanent character death is crap, on balance. It seems like a nice idea at first, but it's got pretty old now. I've died so many times I simply don't care about any of my characters, and I'd much rather this had a normal protagonist.

Noo:) the multiple characters are great, it makes me play a little differently each time. My last guy was a general, he was thorough and methodical, and would use guns whenever possible. He died under the palace:( My current guy's a pimp with a creepy laugh, so he just rushes in swinging the bat. Kind of hope he dies soon...

Just got to the nursery:) I've finished it in the demo, is the in game version different in any way?

Oh right, so the only point to them is when you want to stop playing? Oh well.

I think the permanent character death is crap, on balance. It seems like a nice idea at first, but it's got pretty old now. I've died so many times I simply don't care about any of my characters, and I'd much rather this had a normal protagonist.

Each to their own. I found having a random series of characters made me care for them more than normal, knowing that once they died they were dead forever. You the player carry on, but they don't. I found that mechanic quite affecting and I did my best to keep them alive as long as possible. I think I had seven deaths to my tally when I finished it. I felt sad for every one of them.

Perhaps I'd feel like that if I hadn't had more like 70 deaths*. Or if any of them survived long enough for me to even remember if I was playing as a man or a woman. It also just doesn't make sense narratively. The prepper tells you to go do something, you die, a random stranger generates on the bed, he just carries on talking to you as if you were the same person.

Maybe there could have been a small community back at the Safe House who know each other? That would be more affecting, as each character who died would be someone known to the others, and the prepper would be able to say "right, you've got to carry on where your friend left off". They could easily replenish the ranks when the twenty or so people started to run out.

* I exaggerate but I could do with the game giving me a break now. My weapons are gone, and restarting with just a pistol and that boring old cricket bat (at least give me a crowbar or something for a change!), is getting me nowhere...

This can be readily found for less than a tenner, so I think I'll give it a look. The punitive difficulty along with the keenness to make you replay lengthy sections puts me right off, but the clever use of the tablet controller, plus the generally positive comments about the gameplay are enough to draw me back. For less than a tenner it's got to be worth a look.

I think I might be done with this game. Traversing planks while one of those spitting zombies is having a pop at me = not fun.

Davros, you do know that if you don't manage to get your stuff back (you die again before getting it), it's NOT gone. All the game does is redistribute it over the map. That's what the CCTV is mainly for - tracking down where your stuff has gone if that happens. You never totally lose weapons - they are always there somewhere if you want to get them back. That's also why the manhole covers are so useful - you can actually get about most of the map really quickly using them.

As for the planks thing - surely you just clear out the room before trying them?

How, pray tell, do I clear out a room with a cricket bat when the spitting zombie is attacking me from a distance? My old character died in that room, and I had no hope of recovering the items there. Those 6 starting bullets went in no time just trying to get me back to that room with the planks!

I didn't know that about the weapons re-distributing though. How does that even happen, does a zombie courier company come in and take them around the place? So have I basically got to schlepp around the entire game world trying to collect all my old guns? You don't get another chance to collect them en route?

All this time I've been thinking "It's ok, there'll be another shotgun along in a minute". This explains why I haven't seen another! So to clarify, is there just one of each type of gun in the game, and when you lose them they just magically teleport to a random part of the game? That's...odd. "Fucking Stupid" would be another expression that comes to mind. Is it ever explained to you that this happens?

Also, is there an Easy setting? It's just too difficult for me, frankly.

I'd offer help and suggestions if I thought I could - but I used the cricket bat for 99% of the game, so the fact that you are saying you are so reliant on the guns means you're playing it completely differently to me (I went all patient and picked the zombies off one by one where possible). I can only think of a few times when they are really needed - and one of those is the arena that I think you're coming up to (which if you ever do get there I'm calling now you're probably going to just loathe by the sounds of it)

By the end I had so many guns and so much ammunition I was having to just dump stuff as all the spaces in the storage box were gone.

As for 'schlepping around' - no not really, you generally bump into most of your stuff again on-route to one objective or another I found.

The cricket bat is what I use mostly, but because it's so boring (I mean, it just is) I was tending to use the guns and other items just to break the monotony. But for about the last maybe 3 hours of play I've just had the pistol (and a magnum, briefly), so it's been the cricket bat non-stop. I do try and pick them off one by one, but again - boring. All you do is funnel them somewhere and take them out, but it's such a long and tedious exercise that I'd rather try and shoot them, or just...anything to avoid just standing there thwacking them for six. Those Riot Police ones are the worst, they take forever to kill. Why they couldn't mix up the melee weapons a bit I have no idea, it would have been so simple just to put an iron bar or whatever in as well.

I've actually not died from normal zombie attacks that often, it's been more frustrating "accidents" than anything else. Like trying to herd some zombies near a mine and having it take me out. Or falling off those damned planks trying to dodge that spitter. But mostly just having no resources. No health packs, no ammo, and not realising I could get my guns back.

Maybe I'll have a session tonight where I just re-visit all the old areas looking for my stuff. I do hate that I'm not enjoying this so much anymore, because I was at first. But it's just a very odd game in so many ways. The way the prepper shouts at your new character about what the old one did is just bizarre. I've also noticed the game re-uses all of the environments for the linking sections between the main areas, so it's starting to feel very samey, and it's not really scary. I'm starting to notice things like the poor animation and the way the zombies clip the environments etc, which is a pretty good sign I'm not immersed.

I think I'll give it one more session, trying to be as methodical as possible and re-gain my stuff. The zombies don't re-spawn in areas you've cleared, right?

On 9/29/2014 at 10:57, rgraves said:

I can only think of a few times when they are really needed - and one of those is the arena that I think you're coming up to (which if you ever do get there I'm calling now you're probably going to just loathe by the sounds of it)

Dear God you were not wrong! :lol:

I think this must be one of the most frustrating games I've ever played.

I sat down last night for two or three hours and scoured the entire map methodically, collecting guns, ammo, and health supplies, and also opening up a few secrets on the way. I found this actually pretty enjoyable. However I'm still unable to find what the CCTV is telling me should be present. For example, in Brick Lane Market Street there should be two guns, but I'm damned if I can find them.

No matter. I cleared the rest of the church area no problem once I had some guns.

And then...the arena section.

Whoever thought this was a good idea at Ubisoft should be fired. Preferably out of a cannon.

Having actually survived with the same character for a couple of hours, I felt like throwing the Gamepad after my first death in the arena. I think I died about 10 times in total, but it's a short sequence in hindsight, and eventually I got through. I was still absolutely fuming though, because I'd assumed I'd lost all my items. But here the game breaks its own rules, and I got my gear back. Phew!

But man, what a moronic sequence. It makes no sense at all. Some people you never meet lure you to their hideout so they can use you for sport in a Zombie Gladiator arena. What you do there is run around Benny Hill style until you can blow them all up with mines. You hear your tormentors get munched somehow, and get your gear back, and that's it - you just leave. It makes no sense tonally, is a complete dead end narratively, and is no fun whatsoever to play. Absolute shite.

So then it's back to the Doctor with the letters. I'd picked all of them up whilst scouring all the old areas, so I was able to head straight back to him. Then it was back to Buck Palace for the "point of no return" section. Except that I was still able to return to the safehouse at one point. Odd.

I made it to the final room ok, got the Panacea formula on my USB stick - and then got mobbed and died.

So game narrative wise I'm in the middle of the final "Quick! Get out! Escape! Klaxons are going off! Peg it!" section, but gameplay wise I'm back at the safe house, and I've now got to travel back to where I was in the middle of the big escape scene, bust in, and then escape.

When the game wanted to, it messed with this formula. The arena is particularly silly in this regard. They've committed to the perma-death idea, so they can't break that at any point. So when you die in the arena, the game teleports a new survivor directly into the cage you start that section in. Of course it does. Because if it started you back at the Safehouse and made you walk all the way back to the arena, only for you to die almost immediately and have to do the same thing again, you'd stop playing the game forever. So they know it's a bullshit section in which you are going to die, so they break their own rules. If you die here, you restart that section. You know, like all those GOOD games like RE4 do. But NOT if you die in the last room of the game. Oh no sir, back to the Safehouse with you. Even though we said this was the point of no return.

The structure of this game makes ZERO sense.

And now I think I've hit some sort of bug. The shortcuts no longer work, and the door to the one in the safehouse is locked. I tried to go back through the outside section at Victoria Memorial, but the door is barred like it was the first time I went down there!

Is the game borked? I almost hope it is so I can stop playing...

Ok, and I've now finished it. Had to walk back to the Queen's quarters, then peg it back to the Safehouse. Got shouted at by the Prepper for no good reason, then the credits played! Post credits I died getting to da chopper, and then the game just ended. That's it, can't reload my game to try again. The end.

What a bizarre game. I don't think I've ever seen a game plummet from enjoyable to shit like this before. Just. Wow. Absolutely shocking.

The arena is the worst bit of the game. It's where I had 4 of my 7 deaths. It is really a terrible bit of design and is one of the areas clearly showing it was a launch title.

It is a shame that it never sold more. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, and would have loved to have seen a sequel with a bit more scope. It's still one of the most unnerving and terrifying games I've played in ages.

On 10/1/2014 at 19:59, scottcr said:

I really enjoyed the arena bit... I don't understand why anyone perseveres with a game they don't enjoy. As soon as a game stops being enjoyable, stop playing it and play something else.

Because you lot kept going on about how fucking good it was!

That and I was enjoying it at first. I was pretty sure I was going to quit when the shortcuts locked, but in the end it didn't take long to reach the (massively anti climactic) ending.

It does have some good ideas, and in a way it's a shame they didn't get another crack with a sequel, as this feels very much like a first draft.

As an aside this whole "Screw you casual gamers! You die, you're screwed! It's all gonna be like Dark Souls now!" mindset needs to fuck off. When games started letting you drop the difficulty mid level, and adaptive difficulty started appearing, it was a big step forward. ALL games should let you knock the difficulty down if the player is struggling.

It's a shit design decision which narrows the audience for their game. If I'd been able to knock the difficulty down so that a Riot Police zombie took, I dunno, 5 hits instead of the 10 plus hits they normally take, I reckon I'd have enjoyed this game about 50% more.

At it's worst, a punitive difficulty level actually prevents people from playing 90% of a game. An option to knock the difficulty down (or up) does nothing to diminish the pleasure of those who like the game on its default setting, all it does is open a game up to more people. I say this as someone who completed Halo on Legendary several times. I would never begrudge anyone being able to play Halo on a lower setting, if it means they can actually experience the game.

But people could play Halo on a lower difficulty level. Bungie made that decision. In games like this, and Edge's Game of the Generation, Dark Souls, they made a decision to not offer that as they clearly thought it would be to the detriment of the experience they were trying to offer. Your are perfectly within your rights to think it's a shit design decision, but that doesn't actually make it a shit design decision, just one that you do not agree with. For the vast majority in this thread, the unwavering, punitive stance the game offers is what made it appeal.

We'll obviously it's IMO, do I really need to state that after all these years?

Fact is, if ZombiU had an easy setting, your experience, and the experience of those in the thread who also enjoyed it, would not have been diminished. You would just leave the difficulty setting alone. Mine would have been radically improved. It's win/win.

In the case of Demon's Souls the game was so difficult that I couldn't actually progress (after 9 hours of trying, as I recall). That's -1 sales for Dark Souls. What's the point in buying a game if I know it will be impossible? The fact that it's Edge's game of the generation is extremely depressing - because it's a game I will never be skilled enough to experience, and because it's elitist, and represents an unwelcoming, narrowing attitude amongst gamers.

Ok, and I've now finished it. Had to walk back to the Queen's quarters, then peg it back to the Safehouse. Got shouted at by the Prepper for no good reason, then the credits played! Post credits I died getting to da chopper, and then the game just ended. That's it, can't reload my game to try again. The end.

What a bizarre game. I don't think I've ever seen a game plummet from enjoyable to shit like this before. Just. Wow. Absolutely shocking.

This put me off a lot after 'finishing' the game, even though I really enjoyed the rest of it. And despite having weekly thoughts about returning to ZombiU, I never do, knowing I just don't feel like ploughing through the entire game once more with the risk of not seeing the proper ending again...

We'll obviously it's IMO, do I really need to state that after all these years?

Fact is, if ZombiU had an easy setting, your experience, and the experience of those in the thread who also enjoyed it, would not have been diminished. You would just leave the difficulty setting alone. Mine would have been radically improved. It's win/win.

In the case of Demon's Souls the game was so difficult that I couldn't actually progress (after 9 hours of trying, as I recall). That's -1 sales for Dark Souls. What's the point in buying a game if I know it will be impossible? The fact that it's Edge's game of the generation is extremely depressing - because it's a game I will never be skilled enough to experience, and because it's elitist, and represents an unwelcoming, narrowing attitude amongst gamers.

Again, I disagree with you arguing that the experience would be the same. It wouldn't be. It's supposed to be hard. That's how it was designed from the get go. And I don't think three games - this, Demons/Dark Souls represent an unwelcoming, narrowing attitude amongst gamers. Every game doesn't have to be for every one. They never have been.

Why wouldn't you have had the same experience? If there had been an easier setting, I would have had a different experience which was better for me. Your experience would have remained unchanged.

It's moot anyway, as the difficulty level is the least of the game's problems. I did finish it after all, albeit with around 40 deaths to your 7. Far bigger issues are the inane, repetitive melee combat, complete dearth of plot or characterisation, weak graphic design, bizarre shifts in tone, disjointed narrative, overuse of repeating areas, long loading times (often during combat!), poorly observed representation of London, teleporting objects, an over-reliance on scanning for said objects, and above all constantly being told off by that Prepper twat!

This put me off a lot after 'finishing' the game, even though I really enjoyed the rest of it. And despite having weekly thoughts about returning to ZombiU, I never do, knowing I just don't feel like ploughing through the entire game once more with the risk of not seeing the proper ending again...

Christ, good point. Even if I was considering playing this again, the notion of playing it for 15 hours in order to try and get the "good" ending and then falling off a ledge or something...man, that would suck balls.

I'm with Davros. I really enjoyed the tone, the world and the art direction. I don't have the skills, time to master it or patience to complete it and that's a massive shame because I'd really like to. Clearing an area and having a zombie spawn *through a wall behind me* and kill me is shockingly poor design. It's unfair and makes me angry. Dark Souls differs as you know that it *can* be done and there are no random surprises - it just has a very small margin for error. At least you kept your stats when you died as well. Resetting the characters in ZombiU was just bad design.