Zombi U - Not Zombie U, that's not the title.

Professor Puzzles

Without trying to defend the game you have to wonder if this game fits in with reviewers times. Thy have to complete a game in a few days at most rather than sit back an enjoy it. Something this game may require with its slower pace. I'll wait for feedback from the American launch.

I'm hoping this is like Left 4 Dead with more tension but we will see.

Does this mean the 92% it got in ONM was from Matthew Castle? He wouldn't dare pull another Red Steel after the controversy games journalism has been through recently, would he?

Chandra reviewed it.

I was wondering about some points in that video. It's fair enough about their only being the cricket bat as a melee weapon as a complaint buy why is he only ever using the bat by itself ? Why isn't he trying to knock a zombie over so he can stomp on it ? I'm pretty certain I saw info about where you can add power to your swing and it depends on accuracy as well. Surely if you had bullets you cap a zombie in the knees and then finish them off with the bat or various other ways of downing them with a bullet or two and then finishing them off ? He just seemed to be either only using the bat or only using the guns. Even from videos you can see their being quicker ways to kill off zombies.

The game's supposed to be full of items and things to find. It's about exploration and surviving the world (no matter how inane the quest itself might be) but I see no mention of this in the video and quite frankly it all felt like he just wanted it to be Left 4 Dead rather than a more considered approach where you have to approach every situation very carefully. It seems like a more 'physical' zombie game if that makes sense. From the pace, the way the character moves etc.

Now maybe the game is an actual pile of shite, I was suckered by Red Steel at the Wiis launch (though I didn't hate it but was disappointed by it) but it all felt like to me that he just had to rush through the game for review rather than taking the time needed to properly explore. Hell it reminds me very much of Day Z in a way and I'm also very curious about the online connectivity.

I'll have to rely on other peoples impressions though, can't afford a Wii U right now for various reasons :(

Seems the Brits (Edge, EG, CVG) like it much more than the Americans. Considering the Brits often have the better taste, I'm not going to switch to Nintendoland.

Watching the quicklook on Giantbomb it looks like their big horror fan of the group Patrick Klepek absolutely loves it. Thankfully it looks nothing like a Red Steel. *shudder* just something that has badly split opinion. (which interesting games usually tend to do even amongst forum folk etc)

In terms of UK/US reception, it's almost the opposite from the new Hitman.

Watching the quicklook on Giantbomb it looks like their big horror fan of the group Patrick Klepek absolutely loves it. Thankfully it looks nothing like a Red Steel. *shudder* just something that has badly split opinion. (which interesting games usually tend to do even amongst forum folk etc)

Patrick being stealth Brit confirmed. ;)

Polygon likes it as well.

http://www.polygon.com/game/zombiu/2678

ZombiU won't be for everyone. It's difficult. It's dark. It deftly juggles genre conventions to do the unexpected. And it's exactly the kind of title that gamers have come to expect from new console launches, the kind of game that makes new console launches exciting. ZombiU feels developed outside of blockbuster considerations, but it isn't a cheap, throwaway game. And more importantly, it shows that third parties can make good, unique games on Nintendo's new hardware.

Really interesting how polarised the reviews are. The fact IGN and Gamespot don't like it where as Eurogamer and Edge do is actually increasing its appeal. I suspect this means it's a genuinely original game that rewards patient and intelligent play.

I've played this for review purposes, and I'm seriously liking it on various accounts. It's far from the promising but very flawed Red Steel, and coming as a launch title from Ubisoft, I understand the low level of trust. But this is something else, really.

Seriously, it's quite good. ZombiU really does feel a lot like Dark Souls (just really slightly dumbed down) in terms of its core gameplay. The Wii U GamePad works great with it and makes for a good showcase of the hardware, too. Not to mention the graphics, which from time to time surely pass most Xbox 360 action games of today. I couldn't believe it at first, but the lighting's amazing, the game uses visual effects just right to set the mood and all with zero slowdown. Impressive!

The only two downsides for me are some nasty difficulty spikes and odd loading moments, which make the game a bit frustrating at time. But overall, it's a very solid action/horror game with plenty of atmosphere. I seriously can't wait to dive in the final version - might even call in sick with my friends so I won't have to spend my first Wii U-filled night playing Nintendo Land ;)

I'm only really interested in the WiiU for this game (for the moment anyway). Looking at a couple of lets plays this morning just for a bit of an idea, it looks suitably grim, tense and surival horrory. Also liking the Soul's vibe of it. The zombies also seem to take no prisoners if you get surrounded. Looking forward.

reading Eurogamer, it seems that everything they loved about it was exactly the reasons Mr Gamespot hated it....

The zombis are the best thing about ZombiU, a foe that's easy to manipulate but even easier to underestimate. In a straight one-on-one fight you'll rarely die to one, though their 'grab' move is an insta-kill, but it's a question of hitting them umpteen times with a bat before they go down - a satisfying, but terribly slow, process. You can see the problem. Any more than one zombi makes the bat next to useless, and firearms just attract more attention. It is this rhythm of a controlled engagement escalating beyond your means, often thanks to the bad decisions made while trying to deal with it, that turns an otherwise rudimentary combat system into something special.

This is an interesting part of ZombiU's design - the combat system is well-engineered and responsive but the guns are difficult to use effectively. Characteristics like kickback mean panicked trigger-pumping is terribly wasteful, but the essential headshots take time you rarely have. More often than not, you'll stand your ground and wish you hadn't. Every shot counts in ZombiU - especially the missed ones.

It feels a bit fanboyish to bitch about negative reviews when you are looking forward to a game, but some of the negative comments do seem to suggest that the reviewer is maybe missing the point.

In this type of game I don't really care about the plot, fetch quests or whatever. It's all about the atmosphere and that there are adequate combat mechanics. Hell if there was no plot at all and all I was doing was trying to beat my best survival time I'd be happy.