Zombi U - Not Zombie U, that's not the title.

Professor Puzzles

Gosh this is tense isn't it.

Managed to get my first character kiled failing to climb a ladder in the tutorial

I did exactly the same, made a pact with Philly that the first tIme we played we'd stick it on Survival mode and compare how far we got.... I must've lasted 37 seconds (not Nintendo seconds either!)... :lol: (On the same ladders as you I suspect)

They have created a cracking world that is drenched in atmosphere, (i cant think of a recent game that has come close either). I didn't think I'd be too affected by it but i totally found it getting to me. Very good stuff so far.

As others have said, this is polar opposite to L4D, it's a genuine post apocalyptic-shit your pants-fight for survival.

Reviewed badly by folks who didnt get what it was

Yep, pretty much.

Lines like 'its bollox, you only get a cricket bat for melee' is like saying 'its bollox, in resi evil you only get a knife for melee'

It's not the point of the weapon at all.

I don't get the hate for the graphics, I think it looks great! Maybe I'm just sucked into the whole thing...

I don't get the hate for the graphics, I think it looks great! Maybe I'm just sucked into the whole thing...

I don't get it either. The graphics are perfect and compliment the atmosphere brilliantly. Especially the weather effects and that crap all over your screen when you face a light source. Sound is used very well too. Especially from your character as you do melee combat. Right down to distressed panting at the end.

I've only had about 30 mins of this... Thought the graphics were really nice. The scanner was a wow moment, the shadows looked great too. I've noticed a lot of banding though when it's really dark... Or is that my telly?

The sound really got me... Becoming really frenzied as I stoved in a zombies head

Quite impressed by this. It looks rough as owt, but the game itself is exactly what I wanted L4D to be.

I wouldnt say it looks rough as owt, sometimes it can look pretty decent and im liking the dirt filter, will it win any gfx awards not likly but it pulls off the atmosphere very well.

I was one who stated that the graphics were not that great and I stand by that. Thing is I dont consider it to be a big detrimental comment as the graphics and the atmosphere do blend really nicely to make a very tense experience. The graphics don't detract from the game one bit.

It's only if you consider the Wii U as a machine that is 6 years more advanced than its's current rivals AND it is being used as a system seller for the 'next generation' that you might expect it to be showing us what the machine is graphically really capable of. If anything it feeds into the Nintendo ethos of gameplay and innovation over graphics which is precisely what Nintendo should be shouting from the rooftops. Our machine has got this innovative new controller and THIS is how it can work.

Just to say AGAIN. having headphones in the pad is brilliant on this. THE PREPPER COMING IN YOUR EARS.

This is what the machine is graphically really capable of, Nintendo machines are now a generation behind graphically. How would you rate the graphics if it was on 360/PS3?

No it isn't...

But people at dismissing a lot if amazing ambient lightning and weather effects too

I was in a dark place for a while... Thankfully I recovered.

I don't think you should expect games to look a big jump over this one, though. It's nothing special in the looks department. In fact, it looks like Condemned (which was a looker in 2005).

Not even something as simple as Mario runs in 1080p, etc.

You'll die trying to get it (well I did) - too many bloody zombies still mulling about the area.

Best leg it into the supermarket and try and start again restocking - its gone man.

I seem to have triggered a bug after dying trying to escape the supermarket - the game seemed to recogise my new character had made it home but then wanted to send the back to Brick Lane but with no clear objective as I've cleared them all.

Graphics were quite good in this. Not far advanced of current gen or anything, but stable and perfectly suite.

Not sure I can play this on my own. When there are two or more zombies I'm paralysed about how to deal with it. Fighting seems impossible, running terrifying. I thought I'd man up more in the event of Z day, but no, I'd last two seconds.

I'm loving the game, but I hate the fact that when a zombie grab you, it's game over for your current character. There's no way to escape, no way to fight back. Feels slightly cheap. I don't even know why they implemented a health bar, because when dealing with zombies I either kill them without getting touched or I get grabbed and die instantly.

And it's obvious that the characters are created randomly, because my current character's occupation is supposedly 'dancer' even though he's a fat, balding, unattractive fuck :lol:

SLIGHT SPOILER

You should have the syringe by now, which helps when fending off a grabber. I've only died once this playthrough - through a zombie grab. Annoying indeed, but said syringe should fix that. Remember to refill it, mind.

Cheers to you for becoming a zombie near the supermarket though. Dealing with it netted me loads of ammo, health and flares :hat:

Also, funnily enough I didn't like the young blonde female survivor in boots (... she lacks strength, okay?) I reincarnated as after dying that one time. But as she's keeping up for quite a while now and everso slightly becoming a good shot, she's growing on me. Now I genuinely hope she can sit out the ride!

Should start to remember her name, too...

If you've got to the Royal Bunker you've probably seen something, but (and this is particularly relevent to Spainkiller)

I don't think you're supposed to know what they mean yet. If you are then we've both missed some document or something that tells you what the symbols mean. They show up on one of Dee's letters in the notebook but only on the image, not in the text when you open the letter to read

. So yeah, no spoilers if you've been using your scanner correctly :P

This game totally gets that sometimes nothing happening at all can be scarier

Im finding this game tough going and im only an hour into it which means i faced a few tutorial zombies and a single lone zombie near the first CCTV camera you have to activate. Last night i saved the game because a map ping showed a room with a bunch of zombies in it. Turns out they were rats.

Left 4 Dead always told me who i'd have in my group of friends of a zombie outbreak ever happened but compared to this thats more a mess about. A single zombie in Left 4 Dead does not scare me, in fact you can have fun just pushing them around. In this a single Zombie terrifies me, i know im not safe until they are completely dead and even then i'd rather go and stay in the safe house. If Left 4 Dead was a film, it'd be Shaun of the Dead, a light hearted comedy romp through zombie filled streets. This is 28 Days Later where a single zombie milling about is cause for huge alarm.

I've not died yet but the lack of items worries me like Resident Evil where i try to horde stuff in case i die and the darkness i absolutely hate. My iphone gives off more light than the torch, i just want some brightness because the darkness makes this game a lot 'tougher' than id like.

So does death ever mean your game is ruined? What about all the skills you can get, do they transfer over in death or do they only build up as you play as a character?