Your Worst Game Ever?

Guest Penguin_Lad

Guest Penguin_Lad

Thanks to Wallzy for inspiring this post, after his fantastic post in the Online forums.

So what's the biggest stinker you've ever played?

For me, it has to be South Park on the N64...for several reasons.

I first saw it on the shelves in Computer Exchange on import, and asked the guy behind the counter whether it was any good. He said "yes, it's great...and it's South Park!".

At the time I had more money than sense, so I handed over £60 for it...

Imagine my horror when I got home and played the first level. Wave after wave of turkeys. Ironic really...

I tried the multiplayer mode with my friends, but it was hardly Goldeneye.

I was pretty crushed. I hardly ever, EVER buy games on the name, or hype, or the recommendation of someone else without trying it myself first.

£60. Awful, awful game. Abusive use of licence (hora for the industry). Friends laughing at me for buying it.

+ The Official Nintendo Magazine review, which was something like 90%.

It still hurts today.

'charlies angels' on gamecube, there isno excuse at all for the 'consistent' ubisoft to release utterly iredeemable crap like this in 2003.

This is the game that 'enter the matrix' is made out to be.

This is the game that has finally replaced 'the fabulous wanda' as my automatic response to this question.

ICO.

Stupidly I am still playing through it just so I can moan about it in threads like this. Before people woudl tell me that I haven't given it a chance, but now I have got to outside the bloody castle they can't exactly say that anymore. Once I can complete it I can moan away.

It really is supremely shit with the worst camera I have seen in a videogame ever.

Turok 2 - Absolutely loved the first but I found this to be a crushing disappointment.

Mario Sunshine - A large step back for the Mario games. Crap camera and I thought the water pack to be a poor substitute for genuine platform skill.

GTA:Vice City - Give me Liberty anyday. A much more interesting place to cause mayhem.

Guest Penguin_Lad
ICO.

Stupidly I am still playing through it just so I can moan about it in threads like this. Before people woudl tell me that I haven't given it a chance, but now I have got to outside the bloody castle they can't exactly say that anymore. Once I can complete it I can moan away.

It really is supremely shit with the worst camera I have seen in a videogame ever.

Play some more games...

Guest Penguin_Lad
Mario Sunshine - A large step back for the Mario games. Crap camera and I thought the water pack to be a poor substitute for genuine platform skill.

GTA:Vice City - Give me Liberty anyday. A much more interesting place to cause mayhem.

I am going to delete this thread. ;)

Well done, do you want a medal? I bet you've got every issue of EDGE as well. ;)

I didn't buy it for years due to that plastic bag it used to come in. Surely that had to be one of the worst marketing ideas ever. It was more expensive than anything else and you couldn't flick through it in Smiths.

Guest Penguin_Lad
Hmmm, I dunno. I try not to buy bad games!

Errrr, Azure Dreams.

God knows why it's worth so much. It's vile, vile!

I really liked it - it was hardcore. :S

Perhaps I just like all games. Hmmm. Except South Park, and Celebrity Deathmatch.

Errrr, Azure Dreams.

Perhaps I just like all games. Hmmm. Except South Park, and Celebrity Deathmatch.

Maybe I didn't give it much of a chance, I thought i'd really like it, but it was horrible.

Guest Penguin_Lad
I didn't buy it for years due to that plastic bag it used to come in. Surely that had to be one of the worst marketing ideas ever. It was more expensive than anything else and you couldn't flick through it in Smiths.

Hey EDGE is cool. They even revitalised the magazine by making it a SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SHAPE!

Genius.

Without a doubt, its the first PS2 Gun Survivor game.

I hastily spent about £50 on the US import the day it came out without reading a single thing about it. At the time I was a big fan of lightgun games and the Res evil series so I thought it would be a dream come true until I played the thing. ;)

Ended up trading it in for a fraction of its price and never EVER told anyone Id bought it...until now!

......and as for those who have quoted Vice City, ICO and KOTOR- Youve either A] havin a laugh B] not understood the question or C] never experienced a TRUELY bad game.

Guest Penguin_Lad

Errrr, Azure Dreams.

Maybe I didn't give it much of a chance, I thought i'd really like it, but it was horrible.

It's an extreme Marmite game. It's certainly not great, but I loved getting new characters, getting up higher levels in the tower etc.

Of course the problem with it was the extreme randomness...if you were lucky you could get miles up the tower, if you weren't you could waste 20 minutes or more.

Then of course there was the "Cheat prevention" save, which meant that you couldn't just reload your game. It was a harsh, harsh game, and I loved/hated it, but overall I found it an intruiging little experiment, and grew to like it a lot.

......and as for those who have quoted Vice City, ICO and KOTOR- Youve either A) havin a laugh B) not understood the question or C) never experienced a TRUELY bad game.

Yes I have. I have been playing computer/video games for over 20 years now. It is simply a measure of how bad I think the game is and how sad I am that I am forcing myself to play through it just so I can argue about it on websites.

Errrr, Azure Dreams.

It's an extreme Marmite game. It's certainly not great, but I loved getting new characters, getting up higher levels in the tower etc.

Of course the problem with it was the extreme randomness...if you were lucky you could get miles up the tower, if you weren't you could waste 20 minutes or more.

Then of course there was the "Cheat prevention" save, which meant that you couldn't just reload your game. It was a harsh, harsh game, and I loved/hated it, but overall I found it an intruiging little experiment, and grew to like it a lot.

Maybe it is worth another go then.

Actually, I deleted my save last night.

I had a PSone Combi for Christmas and want a new RPG to play on it.

Maybe i'll give it a go. I think I didn't quite get the combat the first time I went into the tower, so gave up.

Guest Penguin_Lad

Maybe i'll give it a go. I think I didn't quite get the combat the first time I went into the tower, so gave up.

What's a PSone Combi? is that NTSC or summat?

Surely you've got FF6 or summat? Xenogears? Anything else you've not tried?

This is a PSone combo...

It's PAL though. No xenogears on this!

010910bl.jpg

ICO.

Surely you're being a bit daft here?

Ok, you may not like it, but you're saying that in all your years as a gamer Ico is your worst game ever.

If so, then that leads me to one of a number of possible conclusions:

1 - You've not played many games or have not been a gamer for very long.

2 - You truly have been lucky, and have only played truly wonderful games.

3 - You're trying to do a bit of stirring here.

4 - You really don't like it, but rather than have a good think about what naff games you've played over the years you'll mention the current game that you don't like.

Anyway....

My nominations (there are a number I loathe in equal amounts) for the worst game ever are:

LA SWAT (Spectrum, 1987 Entertainment USA) - Truly awful vertically scrolling shoot-em-up in a similar style to Commando. You walk up a street shooting people, get to the end of the street and then you get the `Game Over` message. Truly crap!

Dragons Lair (SNES, year? Elite) - Really poor platformer where you control the most inertia ridden character I have ever had the misfortune to direct. Running, jumping, attacking and general platform navigation were nigh on impossible. My brother used to take the piss constantly out of me for this one.

Dangerous Streets (Amiga, Flair) - Our dear friend Stuart Campbell declared that this could be the game to kill off the CD32. In some respects he wasn't wrong. This game was so bad that the slowdown not only slowed the action on screen, but the music too! One of the characters had a special move where they could transform into a god damn box. Truly awful.

All of the above are far worse than Ico (which I love).

Rob

This is a PSone combo...

It's PAL though. No xenogears on this!

010910bl.jpg

Ive got one too ;)

Oh yeah and back on topic, Lost Kingdoms on the GC is poo too