IGNORED

Your Worst Game Ever?

Guest Penguin_Lad

I also am stunned that anyone could pick games like Ico, Mario 64 etc as the WORST game they have ever played. I can understand people not liking them, but worst game? no way as their are a helluva lot worse out there - but each to their own.

But as someone else has also said, I rarely buy games without really researching them first. Games are too expensive for me to buy on the off chance that I will enjoy them. I don't pirate games either, so that avenue isn't open. Thus the chances of me buying a duff game are quite slim.

Call me weird, but I try to avoid games that are known to be really bad. Having said that, one of the few times I did jump for something that got bad reviews , I loved it (the aformentioned LED Storm on the Amiga).

My worst game is probably Myst. God I hate Myst, the entire game was like a personal insult directed specifically at me. I started playing it but couldn't get anywhere in it because the puzzles were so rediculously obscure. And it was so slow getting anywhere. And the graphics, while technically (for the time) impressive, were completely uninspired.

But for some reason, mainly defiance, I wanted to complete it. So I got a guide off the internet. First I retrieved all the red pages. I put them in the red book and the guy trapped inside killed me. So I reloaded and got all the blue pages. The guy in the blue book killed me. So then by putting together two halves of a note (that are on other sides of the world two each other) I found out I could arrange some switches on the hub world to get access to the secret final book (which was something I could have done from the very beginning). And my reward for putting up with this shit game? I go into the final book, expecting some amazing stuff but instead there's just some old guy sitting at a table and he says "Oh, hello. You didn't free my sons in the books did you? Yeah, they'll kill you if you do that. Anyway, I'm a bit busy, so piss off" (paraphrasing).

God I hate that game.

Chiller by Mastertronic.

If any game could be spectacularly overpriced at £1.99, this was it. Absolutely irredeemable and worthless, with no good features whatsoever.

Utter, utter garbage. The gaming equivalent of Spawn: The Movie.

No way? I remember it quite fondly for some reason. Don't recall much about the actual gameplay but for some reason my nick name at school was Chiller because of this game.

God damn this is difficult to think of an actual 'worst' game. There's so many that I've not liked or been disappointed by, but 'worst' => BAD, which is really hard since gaming is so subjective (that's not controversial is it?).

I made a pretty abysmal game for the BBC, but because I made it it's obviously not my worst.

Guest Penguin_Lad
Chiller by Mastertronic.

If any game could be spectacularly overpriced at £1.99, this was it. Absolutely irredeemable and worthless, with no good features whatsoever.

See once again the Spectrum version was rubbish, but the C64 seemed to be far superior. It was a pretty arse platformer, but the music and general better-ness of the C64 version was astounding...they were virtually different games.

Which version did you have?

Pitfighter on the Megadrive. Digitised crap that had a fair bit of marketing at the time if i recall. Slow, stilted, corn cob up the arse action that thinking about it now was a precurser to Mortal Kombat. SF2Turbo wupped it's ass...

I was going to say that, but even that game had redeeming features (for me). You could lift up carts/motorbikes and throw them at your enemy! Also I liked the money piling up on a forklift truck at the end of a fight. Or something, it was funny.

Chiller by Mastertronic.

See once again the Spectrum version was rubbish, but the C64 seemed to be far superior. It was a pretty arse platformer, but the music and general better-ness of the C64 version was astounding...they were virtually different games.

Which version did you have?

I had the C64 version and remember it being pretty good.

ICO.

Stupidly I am still playing through it just so I can moan about it in threads like this. Before people woudl tell me that I haven't given it a chance, but now I have got to outside the bloody castle they can't exactly say that anymore. Once I can complete it I can moan away.

It really is supremely shit with the worst camera I have seen in a videogame ever.

I would personally like to register my disgust at your opinion, nothing personal, and of course you're entitled, but it's things like this that I feel I have to say something about.

Man, this is childish. Oh well, sorry.

Well I believe ICO is a mediocre exploration/puzzle game made brilliant by beautiful surroundings and having to protect Yorda.

Were a person to not appreciate these two elements (which is fair enough) I can understand them saying it's the worst game they've played. PARTICULARLY if they were expecting something incredible after reading many people's high opinions of it.

The thing that struck me about ICO is the atmosphere. It's lifeless. And the story hardly grabbed me either. I really didn't care who this kid with horns was, I didn't care who Yorda was. I really couldn't be bothered to get them out of the castle. They were so plain and featureless.

The thing that struck me about ICO is the atmosphere. It's lifeless. And the story hardly grabbed me either. I really didn't care who this kid with horns was, I didn't care who Yorda was. I really couldn't be bothered to get them out of the castle. They were so plain and featureless.

And we should all love the game because it all looks so beautiful. Or so people keep telling me.

I'm sorry but I want a playable and interesting game as well.

Worst game ever? Joe Blade on the Amiga. A combat game so shit that the screen would freeze whenever you pulled the trigger so that the game could play the same, repetitive machine gun noise.

For about 2 seconds.

I really, really hated it... and whenever anybody asks what the worst game ever was, it immediately jumps to the fore. Thankfully, I only borrowed it. In exchange for Syndicate.

Fucker.

Dragonriders: Chronicles of Pern.

I may have got the name wrong, but point is, it was pure shit. You couldn't see where you were going, you didn't know what the fuck you were supposed to be doing anyway, and the controls were fucking terrible. You had to press forward to go forwards, no matter where the camera was pointing at. If you're facing towards the left of the screen you have to press forwards to keep going left.

What the fuck were they thinking?

It was so shit I didn't even get onto the combat section. If there was one.

Friday 13th on the Spectrum. Absolutely awful. Top down view of some white blob walking around a house plan with other coloured blobs and NO idea what you were supposed to do (which I suspect was avoid the coloured blobs til one got you). Shocking.

For what it's worth, Ico is a work of art and one of the very few games I've bothered to complete. For it to be discussed in the same thread as some of these true pieces of digital excrement is just stupid by any standard or opinion.

Summoner and Shadow of Memories stand out from this generation as being shite and very poor to play.

SMS is also a very crap game compared to SM64 and a terrible follow up.

Burnout was also naff.

But the worst game of all time for me is probably Turok ( the first one )

I just thought it was fucking terrible.

Ive played a lot of bad games, but one that sticks in my mind is "Ultraman" on the SNES. What an Awful piece of crap. It made me want to kill myself for purchasing such a shitty game. I ended up swapping it for Barts Nightmare, but was only just a bit better.

Of recent times: GoDai:Elemental Force on the PS2, released by the now infamous 3DO. Metacritic rates it at 27, one of the lowest scores ever. Here some choice cuts from reviews:

This game should be avoided by all means.

Barely playable.

Godai sucks in ways that mankind was never intended to know, and exposure to its sheer awfulness will leave deep emotional scars that may never completely heal, even with years of intensive therapy. Stay away. Stay far away.

I played a demo of it on the OPM2 coverdisc, and it really is that bad. I'd advice anybody to check it out for educational purposes.

Click here for more info...

From the past, I remember a VERY bad Carmageddon game for the Nintendo64 which was unplayable and features Zombies with green blood. What a huge pile of shit that was, unbelievable. It had the framerate of a slideshow and the physics of a firstgrade retard on a graphical calculator.

Pitfighter on the Megadrive. Digitised crap that had a fair bit of marketing at the time if i recall. Slow, stilted, corn cob up the arse action that thinking about it now was a precurser to Mortal Kombat.

I remember the old Sega Pro magazine hyping Pitfighter constantly for some unknown reason. Mortal Kombat definitely deserves mention though, I've always though it to be a truly appalling game, yet I remember the trashier magazines such as Gamesmaster fell over themselves to praise it and the risible sequels. (Even Edge, who I thought knew better, gave MK2 a 9/10 rating.) Post-SFII, there was no excuse for such a stilted, uncontrollable fighting game. KIt was never more than typical American trash, really.

Anyway, the worst game I have owned was Goemon for the Game Boy - it was released in 1998 and had the same artwork as its N64 cousin. Utter shit. I reached the first boss, which turned out to be an unbeatable Track 'n' Field button masher, and promptly chucked the cartridge away in disgust.