Your Worst Game Ever?

Guest Penguin_Lad

Ignoring the rest of the series, which was dire and no mistake, Mortal Kombat II was frickin' excellent and Shang Tsung in MKII remains one of the greatest characters in a game ever, far better than one-round random-fighters like Inferno or Edge Master.

Edge were spot on, as were all the other mags that praised it.

Why is MK2 better than MK3? Or MK Trilogy? MK Trilogy is the greatest Mortal Kombat game I know of.

MK 3 introduced a really rubbish chain combo system and the diabolical run button and generally drowned under the weight of its own stupidity - it just sucked out all the fun of MKII. IV was lame beyond belief and V a turgid attempt to marry the series to the likes of Soul Calibur.

I wasn't including MK Trilogy in my statement as that's something of a bizarre compilation of all the 2D games, isn't it? Doesn't it just throw in characters from all 3 but they still use their original combat systems (so characters from I are horribly limited etc)? It seemed too based around MK 3 so I avoided it like the plague but admit I may well be doing it a disservice...

Anyone who played games throught the 8-bit days had spectacularly shite games coming out of their ears. I honestly couldn't recall the number of awful budget games I played. One of the worst offenders was a Mastertronic game called Rapid Fire. Even in my forgiving, patience-of-a-saint youth I knew to the very core of my being that it was cack.

And Molecule Man. In fact, any number of charmless isometric adventures that got shat out in the wake of Knight Lore and Head Over Heels.

Space Reporter Ulala:

If you didn't like the run feature and combo system from 3, then you're not really doing MK Trilogy a disservice by saying MKII is better*. Fair reasons for preferring MKII. It took a while, but once I got the hang of running and combos, MK3/UMK3/MK Trilogy really opened up.

*MK Trilogy featured all the characters that had appeared up to when it was released, but to keep the game balanced, gave everyone the ability to run and a few combos. You wouldn't like it! :ph34r:

I really liked MKTrilogy too. I had it on the Saturn (I think) and I really enjoyed it. As did my mum, bizaarely. Like Jim says, once you got used to running, it wasn't that bad, although if you preferred MKII to MK3, I wouldn't advise you to rush out and hunt a copy of it down.

I remember sticking the cheat in to watch all the animalities, babalities etc etc, and I'd just watch all of them in this 20 minute long sequence. No idea why I did that, but I used to do it all the time.

*MK Trilogy featured all the characters that had appeared up to when it was released, but to keep the game balanced, gave everyone the ability to run and a few combos. You wouldn't like it! ;)

Heresey! Sacrilage! Lots of other words I'm probably spelling wrongly!

No, couldn't never come to grips with that - Sub-Zero apart, they all seemed ridiculously complicated and not as much fun as creating your own. I loved pulling off a devastating flying kick > mid-air fireball > bicycle kick > uppercut with Liu Kang...

worst game ever = Nightmare creatures 2. It looks like its made in someones bed room.I couldnt be bothered to return it to the shop, I broke the cd in half and threw

it in the trash.

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer cash over a broken disk any day. ;)

And get pointed and laughed at by the Nerds that hang out in the store for buying such a shitty game? ;)

Ignoring the rest of the series, which was dire and no mistake, Mortal Kombat II was frickin' excellent and Shang Tsung in MKII remains one of the greatest characters in a game ever, far better than one-round random-fighters like Inferno or Edge Master.

MKII was utterly brilliant. Although I never learned Shang Tsung...

Reptile was my fighter of choice - B,B,D,LP fatality fans. I hated Ultimate MKIII - the only game I have ever traded in in 12 years of gaming. Although I then re-bought it for the Mega Drive instead of Saturn to play as Rain...MK Trilogy for the record never came out on Saturn - PSone and N64 as far as I recall.

Worst game though - Andretti Racing on Saturn. You could turn round and crash into each other in a McDonalds sponsored car...and that was the limit of the gaming fun. Awful game with absoloutly no redeeming features in my book.

As for the people name-dropping big games in here - surely you understand they are exceptional pieces of work? If you hate SM64 fine - I cannot stand it. I literally *hate* it. I keep going back to it - but I can only stomach it for 30 mins at a time. Suggesting its the worst game ever though is ridiculous - Tonic Trouble is a considerably worse game. Showing off that you've not played many bad games is all well and good - but surely just not posting in the thread if you haven't played any bad games makes more sense?

MKII was utterly brilliant. Although I never learned Shang Tsung...

Reptile was my fighter of choice - B,B,D,LP fatality fans. I hated Ultimate MKIII - the only game I have ever traded in in 12 years of gaming. Although I then re-bought it for the Mega Drive instead of Saturn to play as Rain...MK Trilogy for the record never came out on Saturn - PSone and N64 as far as I recall.

That was the thing - master the other characters and you had more or less mastered Shang Tsung. Someone's kicking your ass? Hold them off with the fireskulls then morph into Reptile and vanish and smack them down from various angles while they pummel thin air. Switch back, morph into Sub-Zero, fatal freeze them continuously, morph into Kung Lao, jump back and pull off the angled decapitation hat toss for ultimate sick-ill-l33t skillness. Or just hold down LP for the whole fight and unleash Kintaro on their ass.

Shang Tsung was The Man. A move for every occasion...

Of recent id say....

The New Goemen GBA game!!!

Lets just say its based more on the PS2 game rather than the Classics... Embisumo is Female.... goeman is a tall fellow... and the graphics and gameplay is just sooo poor.... a huge dissapointment... what where KCET thinking @_@;...

Hmm..I remember a hell of a lot of cack from the 8 bit days. One of the worst offenders was the conversion of "Outrun" that I had on the Amstrad 6128. Sensation of speed? It felt like you were driving a milk float. Backwards. And what was that whining sound. I think it was supposed to be the car engine but it sounded like a cat trapped in the exhaust.

Funnily enough, driving the American muscle cars on PGR2 gave me a bit of Outrun deja vu! ;)

Other than that, probably "ET" on the Atari VCS. I played it for about 1 minute, got trapped in the pit and couldn't get out again. What a load of shit.

Of recent id say....

The New Goemen GBA game!!!

Lets just say its based more on the PS2 game rather than the Classics... Embisumo is Female.... goeman is a tall fellow... and the graphics and gameplay is just sooo poor.... a huge dissapointment... what where KCET thinking @_@;...

Um, pix pls?

worst EVER? jesus.

must be that launch PS2 game, futuristic racer thingy. Jap version was called HRESVELGR (yes really); I forget what the PAL version was renamed to... *googles* JET ION GP, that was it. yeah. hateful piece of code.

anyone mentioning SMS, GTA:VC, Ico, M64, anything like that, or even my favourite hate-directing-games KOTOR and TS2, is in the wrong thread.

Why?

Come on, in PL's on words, it's about my worst game.

As I have said a bazillion times before, I can see why so many people rave about it.

But, for me, in terms of fun, gameplay, stuff you had to do etc etc

i hated it. I have never played a game that i hated playing so much.

Why is that so hard to bloody understand?

This makes out like I hate it, I don't really, but in terms of (as i have said before, over and over) "fun" it is my most fun free gameplaying experience.

then go and play Croc or suchlike.

you don't like platformers - fine. but at least pick a shit one. I can't stand anything KOTOR stands for, but I'm not listing it as my worst game ever because there are a million examples of GENUINELY, UNSPEAKABLE SHIT GAMES which should be in this thread.

namedropping *big game x* in this thread is all about *not having played most genuinely poor games in x's genre*

What, so these people should go out and buy some shite games and play them, just so that their opinions fall into line with yours?

Lost Kingdoms 2.

Worst. Game. Ever.

Cant be worse than the first.....can it? ;)

Are you on drugs? Lost Kingdom is nowhere near the 'worst game ever', and although the sequel is poo, no way is it anywhere near 'worst game ever' either.

Airwolf on the ZX Spectrum comes pretty close. as does GoDai Elemental Force on the PS2.

Lost Kingdoms 2.

Worst. Game. Ever.

Are you on drugs? Lost Kingdom is nowhere near the 'worst game ever', and although the sequel is poo, no way is it anywhere near 'worst game ever' either.

Airwolf on the ZX Spectrum comes pretty close. as does GoDai Elemental Force on the PS2.

Dunno, as far as I remember I enjoyed Airwolf a hell of a lot more than the hour or so I spent with Lost Kingdoms (its sat unplayed on my shelf ever since)

Sorry maybe I should have posted this in the "what game did you enjoy the least?" thread instead ;)

Lost Kingdoms 2.

Worst. Game. Ever.

Dunno, as far as I remember I enjoyed Airwolf a hell of a lot more than the hour or so I spent with Lost Kingdoms (its sat unplayed on my shelf ever since)

Sorry maybe I should have posted this in the "what game did you enjoy the least?" thread instead ;)

That's what it's there for!

Guest Penguin_Lad
Lost Kingdoms 2.

Worst. Game. Ever.

This thread is the same, it's just worded differently. Somehow it turned into a boiling spite filled pot of foolishness...I'm probably partly to blame, but I thought I was being slightly cheeky with my first few replies.

And Molecule Man. In fact, any number of charmless isometric adventures that got shat out in the wake of Knight Lore and Head Over Heels.

I was only thinking of adding this to my list of shite games this morning.

How long could you last for? I think my record was something like 40 seconds or something.

I played the game twice before it went on the shelf, never to be loaded again. A friend of mine also had this and used the tape to copy some decent Spectrum games on to instead.

Rob

Lost Kingdoms 2.

Worst. Game. Ever.

This thread is the same, it's just worded differently. Somehow it turned into a boiling spite filled pot of foolishness...I'm probably partly to blame, but I thought I was being slightly cheeky with my first few replies.

It's not the same.

You obviously haven't read (played) enough threads (games) of this topic (genre) before.

Go and do it know! You now, even really crap ones!

You'll be a better forumite (gamer) at the end of it!