IGNORED

Videogame series you've fallen out of love with

Oh Danny Boy

One of my favourite games on the original xbox was Fable, i followed its progress from its Project Ego days and it sounded so ambitious it was hard not to feel excited, being a hero in a magical world, encountering rivals and becoming famous all the while you're getting older. Making a mark of a young tree only to return to see that its still there even though the tree was bigger and older, rasing a family etc. Well none of that emerged in the final game but i must have been one of the very few people who weren't disappointed. What i discovered was an enthralling RPG with bags full of charm and an imaginative game world to explore. The combat was great, i liked the freedom to make bad or good choices and thus shape my own characters reputation in his world, i loved the fact that what ever moral direction i took my character the inhabitants of Albion would respond by either cheering me or feeing from me. And the final satisfaction of being an all powerful hero and mayor of Bowerstone...

I hotly anticipated Fable 2 when i short video of it was shown to announce it at E3 years ago, i was hoping that with the power of the 360 that maybe this Fable will be more like the Project Ego it was supposed to have been. Unfortunately i went off gaming for a few years and only went back to it last year, although Fable 2 was one of the first games i picked up when i did. I was slightly disappointed that Fable 2 was more like the original rather than trying to fulfill the Project Ego promise although i really liked the game still. The environments were as imaginative as the original although with the added grunt they looked very beautiful, the old Fable charm and British humour was still in there and now you can have children and there was the extra dimension of trying to keep your spouses happy. Although i missed the guild quest system and the rivalry between heros that was in the original. What i most disliked was the dog, i remember Molyneux talking this up as a revolutionary aspect but all it did was simplify the game. RPG's need to encouarge the player to explore the world for secrets etc what the dog component did was neglect this as its sole purpose was to alert you to any hidden objects off the main path, basically eliminating exploration from the game. But i enjoyed it although it was an even more easier game than the hardly difficult original.

Then i played Fable 3, everything started well, a great opening sequence, the world looked more beautiful than before but then it came to the gameplay...it was broken. I couldn't believe how Lionhead got it so wrong, the already simplified combat and upgrade system was somehow considered to complicated and thus truned into the most basic and dull system, treating its players like simpletons and destroying any actual enjoyment. I was shocked at what my beloved Fable had become. And even worse that bloody dog was back! I couldn't play on after 2 hours.

And now i see the Fable series is to continue as a Kinect style on rails shooter its a shame of how a series which started with so much promise and potential has ended up the way it is.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who has fallen out of love with a series

Call of Duty.

Whilst CoD4 is still my most played game ever (275+ hours), I gradually played each sequel less and less. The introduction of over-powered kill steaks and the always inevitable corner campers stopped making the game about PvP and more like PvE.

Ninja Gaiden is the obvious one for me, there aren't enough big budget challenging games anymore. Max Payne at least had a go but it doesn't take much to master it, whereas the first two Ninja Gaiden games rewarded hundreds of hours of play.

Ninja Gaiden, definitely. Superb franchise that took a real nose-dive in quality when Itagaki and some others left.

Gears as well, it needs fresh blood. Seems People Can Fly is on the right track by doing things a little differently with Judgment.

Metal Gear, specifically number four. The fact that you start with an abundance of gadgets at the beginning. The joy of the previous games, especially the PS1 version was acquiring new equipment as you went along. MSG4 didn't seem to have that survival/stealth feel to it. Plus the bosses were horrible and the story/cutscenes lost their charm.

I came in here to say Animal Crossing, and I am most definitely out of love with it in every objective way I can think of, but then I just thought about turning it on and hearing that gentle theme, and realised I'm still completely in love with it.

Stupid Animal Crossing.

Final Fantasy.

I fell completely in love with them during the PS1 years, and went on to complete every main entry from 1-10. Gave 11 a fair push too. 12 then came out, which I struggled with. I've restarted it multiple times, and entirely failed to enjoy it. Since then each new one has failed to grab my interest. I think the emo-lite characters and overly schmaltzy storylines/dialog killed it for me.

It's a big shame to say it (considering my history with the game series) but I have grown bored somewhat of the Zelda games. I've played most and enjoyed most. But since Ocarina my interest has wained. I've got all the Zelda games released but some still remain unplayed or near-completed.

Skyward sword.. whilst i initially enjoyed it, i really think has become too long in the tooth. It needs a huge change. The Zelda games have become far too reliant on fetch quests - they generally are boring and are only there to pad the games length out.

It needs a big change, perhaps change the formula and dont have the same old storyline. It's been done to death (mind i shouldnt really speak as im not sure on the endings on a few of the latest games).

Tekken and Ridge Racer, both peaked in their PS1 incarnations Tekken 3 was a masterpiece and every version since has got progressively worse, Ridge Racer Type 4 was absolutely superb in fact I wish there was HD updates for these games on the 360 I'd put some moon points towards them.

Zelda - The last few have been utterly soulless IMO

Metroid - metroid 3 followed by other M? a crying shame.

Halo - A decline in the game's SP that started with #2. Reach was decent.

Call of Duty- Too many.

Nintendo... is the only way I can put it. I don't know if it's a change in gaming tastes (although, even as a kid I pretty much played everything from cutesy platformers to wargames and simulators), but Nintendo as a videogame developer have become completely irrelevant to me. Not even through their hardware and business decisions, which I have admittedly been very critical of in recent years. I loved the old Mario games, devotedly played SMB 3 and World to completion and thought SM64 was a work of genius. I've never been a particular fan of Zelda games but I loved Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time. F-Zero on the SNES and N64 were great, and while I've never quite fell in love with Super Metroid I always enjoyed my time with it (I preferred Zero Mission actually).

Something has happened along the way. Mario Galaxy was a blip in the downward cycle and I thought it a real return to the glory of Mario 64, but Galaxy 2 failed to inspire me, and despite loving the old 2D ones I'm completely disinterested in any of the 'New' titles. Same goes for Zelda, anything that's happening with Metroid or F-Zero. Never cared for stuff like Pikmin or Animal Crossing. Basically Nintendo have nothing to offer me any more from their entire core series, and it's not because I'm into Shooting Man Games these days - I don't play those either - and I don't think it's that worn old chestnut of 'growing out of games' because I've put 130 hours into Diablo III so far and I've recently loved the Arkham games, Red Dead, Mass Effect, and plenty more.

So I don't know what it is, but in my heart of hearts when I look at anything from Nintendo I know that I'm not interested anymore. Of course, a consequence of this is also that I've no interest in Nintendo hardware either, as their first-party games famously sell those machines. It's weird, it's like I don't even consider them part of the pastime I'm into.

It's a big shame to say it (considering my history with the game series) but I have grown bored somewhat of the Zelda games.

Same here, but only for the 3D ones. The "pure" ones, I still crave more of.

Metroid - metroid 3 followed by other M? a crying shame.

Are you discounting all the Prime games?

The Resident Evil series for me. I was a huge fan of the first three, but I was disappointed with RE:CV's washed out graphics and tired gameplay. RE4 was massive jolt in the arm for the series and even though I was skeptical at the swapping of survival horror for action it became one of the best games I'd played (I bought a Gamecube specifically for it, then the PS2 version). Then RE5 came out with the awful inclusion of an AI buddy and I was suddenly 'meh' over anything new. There was an RE game came out a few months back and I didn't know a thing about it (I still don't), and after seeing footage of RE6 I just know I'll not be buying it.

The old RE games had their time but I'd like to see a return to it's survival horror roots.

Same here, but only for the 3D ones. The "pure" ones, I still crave more of.

I do prefer the 2d ones .. Are you including the DS ones? I liked phantom hourglass but left it for months and I'm not sure what to do. Spirit tracks is still sealed , and I never did finish the gbc / gba games .

I guess I just don't like investing huge amounts of time into games anymore really .

Tekken and Ridge Racer, both peaked in their PS1 incarnations Tekken 3 was a masterpiece and every version since has got progressively worse, Ridge Racer Type 4 was absolutely superb in fact I wish there was HD updates for these games on the 360 I'd put some moon points towards them.

Shut your whore mouth.

Ridge peaked with the incredible PSP games, with the glorious Vita version clipping at their heals. The fact I've both on my Vita make it officially the greatest gaming device ever. Ridge Racers 2 is an H(igher)D update of all the PS1 games.

Tekken 2 is possibly my most played game ever, and Tekken 3 was an improvement on all levels. Tag and 4 were duds, but 5 was a fine return to form. 6 was the worst of the lot, mind. Tekken 5 DR on PS3 still gets an airing at my house. For a supposed quick cash in, it still looks the business, with native 1080p graphics and AA, it trumps Tekken 6 and VF5 in the looks department by some margin.

The Resident Evil series for me. I was a huge fan of the first three, but I was disappointed with RE:CV's washed out graphics and tired gameplay. RE4 was massive jolt in the arm for the series and even though I was skeptical at the swapping of survival horror for action it became one of the best games I'd played (I bought a Gamecube specifically for it, then the PS2 version). Then RE5 came out with the awful inclusion of an AI buddy and I was suddenly 'meh' over the anything new. There was an RE game came out a few months back and I didn't know a thing about it (I still don't), and after seeing footage of RE6 I just know I'll not be buying it.

The old RE games had their time but I'd like to see a return to it's survival horror roots.

As much As I enjoyed the original resident evils , I very much enjoyed 4 and I did like resi 5 - single player was ok but co op was probably my fave co op experience I've had . I'm hoping resi 6 is decent , although some of the gameplay looks a bit fiddly .

Racoon city was a crap spin off , it's not even made by capcom . Think those spin offs do more harm than good to the francise ( it's not the first time that type of spin off was made , the ps2 got loads and they were all mostly crappy and canon to the series )

Mario Kart for me. Played the sweet merry fuck out of Super and have been consistently disappointed ever since.

In fact, I'd extend that to the entire karting racing sub-genre. I've played loads of the bloody things and nothing, nothing, has come close.

Mario Kart for me. Played the sweet merry fuck out of Super and have been consistently disappointed ever since.

In fact, I'd extend that to the entire karting racing sub-genre. I've played loads of the bloody things and nothing, nothing, has come close.

Even the GBA and DS versions?