IGNORED

Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

He says that AAA games are completely unaffected by the people Gamergate are attacking. So why are they attacking them again?

I had a horrible realisation last night that I'd seen Gamergate's tactics - anonymously hound people until they shut up, leave home, or lash out, then use that against them - before. It's the Scientology MO.

It's weird to me that in the interview he boasts about developers wanting to go where the money is, so triple A games will not die. Imagine if GamerGate were campaigning against the film industry: worried that Transformers won't get another outing; that French niche films about homosexuality like Blue Is The Warmest Colour get wide-critical acclaim.

This industry is so backward.

I have no idea what is going on with all this gamergate stuff (it doesn't really seem to be a thing over here in Japan, thankfully), but this turned up in my Facebook feed (thanks Ed!) and it is the most idiotic thing I have read all year (and that includes the extensive humblebrag by someone quitting Google and the socialite who had a meltdown because she wasn't allowed into an onsen because of the rules):

http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/11/xbro-interview-gamergate-numero-dos/

Mental.

The odd fact, however, is that the anti-gamergate side mostly features bloggers, writers, feminists and general anti-gamers, so their relevance to our industry is thankfully insignificant.

That certainly does sound odd. Maybe someone should send them Doc G's list.

I have no idea what is going on with all this gamergate stuff (it doesn't really seem to be a thing over here in Japan, thankfully), but this turned up in my Facebook feed (thanks Ed!) and it is the most idiotic thing I have read all year (and that includes the extensive humblebrag by someone quitting Google and the socialite who had a meltdown because she wasn't allowed into an onsen because of the rules):

http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/11/xbro-interview-gamergate-numero-dos/

Mental.

What a bunch of bullshit

#Gamergate has more or less maintained its stance and goals, and that is a pretty impressive thing for a leaderless, de-centralized movement.

:lol: and could you explain what those are?

Anti-gamergate people have come up in arms against us and there’s a clear schism in the community right now. The odd fact, however, is that the anti-gamergate side mostly features bloggers, writers, feminists and general anti-gamers, so their relevance to our industry is thankfully insignificant.

Ah, the party line. So insignificant that you'll join a movement opposing them and hide behind a pseudonym.

As far as the highest level of pro-GG in the company, I would dare to say that there is a certain individual at the top of the top that is aware of GG and quite supportive of it.

I get the feeling he's trying to insinuate that Phil Spencer supports it. Having met Phil and spoken to him on a number of occasions, unless he's changed drastically in the last few years I really doubt this.

Other than that, our studio lead is supporting this movement as well and has done so since the beginning.

Ah the vagaries of language, what does your studio lead support? As I've mentioned in the past their are few more critical of the games press than game devs, most want to see a lot of improvements. Just cause they want that doesn't mean they're hitching their wagon to your hate ride.

(I would like to keep their specific identities undisclosed for the time being as to not encourage targeted harassment against them).

we wouldn't want anyone harassed now would we...

And, to finish this lengthy answer, I present you with my favorite quote by our studio lead in regards to my concerns that somehow, these kind of people might make it in the industry.
“Why are you so upset? You know we don’t hire professional victims, only professional developers.”
I refuse to believe that line was spoken by anyone, ever.
And that's ignoring the crap about the witch hunt against him, and hiring practices. And jesus christ the "leave poor ubisoft alone" shit at the end... it makes me embarrassed to be associated with this industry.

it makes me embarrassed to be associated with this industry.

This has basically been my feeling for the past few months. I've never been as mortified about being a fan, student and developer of videogames in my life. GamerGate conforms to and reinforces every negative stereotype I've read that people associated with videogames and previously waved off as nonsense.

The comments to that XBro interview are great. Lots of people assuring him that the Xbone isn't that bad, and saying they will think about buying one now that MS has come out as pro-GG, like they think XBro is Bill Gates or something.

When it first came out a few days ago I did ask a GG dickhead why anyone would give it any credence, considering 1 - it's totally anonymous and and 2 - nothing it divulges in any way works as confirmation that the author is genuine (no info that would only be known to genuine MS devs). Apparently they have some secret confirmation system which they don't tell anti-GG people about, but "trust me, this is real".

Apparently they have some secret confirmation system which they don't tell anti-GG people about, but "trust me, this is real".

Like the totes-real-Nick-Denton Facebook thing, I imagine.

There was a picture of one of the "I made this" launch team Xbox pads next to a post-it note of his username. By the investigative journalistic standards of GamerGate, that's gold-standard proof.

Gamergate is all for ethics in journalism, and so there's simply no way that they'd lie in a piece of journalism. What more proof do you people want?!

Actually it's about Ethics in games journalism and any journalism that talks to anyone in games. Ethics is all about not talking to girls because they have cooties, Ethics is about making sure that the stereo type of a gamer is preserved and it's clear that you call yourself a gamer because you are a shut in loner who lives in his "mom's basement" also don't mock them for that it's not Ethical.

Like that totes legit Gawker Facebook leak.

Like the totes-real-Nick-Denton Facebook thing, I imagine.

Two posts, minutes apart, referring to the same thing with the same use of "totes".

I mean, how deep does the SJW conspiracy rabbit hole have to go before Gloria Gaynor supporters are vindicated?

I would genuinely lol if Phil Spencer openly said that MS hated all to do with GammyGoats and they worked out who Xbro was and he got totally binned for suggesting MS were on their side.

Although it comes across as so terribly fake that I can't imagine it being given any credence.

I forgot to buy NeverAlone out of point last night as well, must do it later...

I forgot to buy NeverAlone out of point last night as well, must do it later...

Speaking of...

...from https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9580-ethics-and-journalistic-integrity/page-114

There's a component of gamergate that has insisted that the "right" person needs to review games. So someone who's not into JRPGs shouldn't review a Final Fantasy game, or an SJW shouldn't review a Baoynetta. So when a person of Native American descent reviews Never Alone, a game about Inuit culture...gamergate (#notallgaters*) thinks he shouldn't have reviewed it because he's biased. Because how can a Native American objectively review a game that stars a Native American?

*To be fair, there are plenty of people in the thread disagreeing with the OP, but there are also people fully on board with the sentiment that Daniel Starkey shouldn't have reviewed it.

That shirtgate thing was such a pain in the arse. The guy has horrible sense of both fashion and decorum, but it was drummed up beyond belief by both some feminists AND to an even greater extent by misogynists/MRAs.

I couldnt believe the reaction to this it seemed so misguided in the sense that it seemed it could only be bad for feminism. Is it really an equal rights issue and is the reaction all that moderate? Would there be such an outcry if they were avengers superheroines or anime girls or something? And I'd assume, if the tears were real, that they were over it possibly affecting the friend who made the drawing. (supposing all I read is true about that.) Admittedly some of the outfits are a bit iffy though but still. That gamergate comparison is hilariously muddled!

Saw this Sargon video linked on KotakuInAction and seeing as I'm feeling procrastinative and someone from gamergate has finally made a video that's less than three days long (just eight minutes!) I watched it.

I literally have no idea what the guy's point is supposed to be. It's cut together footage of Alexander, Sarkeesian and Wu talking in various places and saying precisely nothing that is controversial and little that is even arguable. I think it's a perfect reflection of a movement that has no idea what it's for, what it wants, what it is trying to say, or how any of it should be done.

Just throwing this out here in support of my earlier point - L. Ron Hubbard, 1966:

(1) Spot who is attacking us.

(2) Start investigating them promptly for felonies or worse using own professionals, not outside agencies.

(3) Double curve our reply by saying we welcome an investigation of them.

(4) Start feeding lurid, blood, sex, crime actual evidence on the attackers to the press.

Don't ever tamely submit to an investigation of us. Make it rough, rough on attackers all the way. You can get "reasonable about it" and lose. Sure we break no laws. Sure we have nothing to hide. BUT attackers are simply an anti-Scientology propaganda agency so far as we are concerned. They have proven they want no facts and will only lie no matter what they discover. So BANISH all ideas that any fair hearing is intended and start our attack with their first breath. Never wait. Never talk about usonly them. Use their blood, sex, crime to get headlines. Don't use us. I speak from 15 years of experience in this. There has never yet been an attacker who was not reeking with crime. All we had to do was look for it and murder would come out.

Does this read like a Gamergate op or what?

I believe that tweet is part of a thing he's doing now where he's looking into bringing some legal action against the International a Game Developers Associate, who have listed Randi Harpers auto twitter blocker as a harassment prevention tool. Randi is @freedsbgirl on twitter, and has been a target of theirs for a bit (it's not about women though!), especially since she created this. I believe it works by automatically blocking users who follow a certain key number of people in gamergate. So for example, if you were following Adam Baldwin, Milo, and Roguestar, you'd get blocked. If you were only following one of them, you'd be fine.

Naturally, gamergate were up in arms at the idea they can't shout their bullshit at whoever they want, cite their free speech being taken away and other dumb shit, but now it's actually been listed as an anti harassment tool, they are properly losing their shit over it. Of course, Cernovich is "on it", and lots of armchair lawyers are making up shit as to why it's illegal or actionable, forgetting that twitter is a private service and they aren't entitled to shit.

I have no idea what is going on with all this gamergate stuff (it doesn't really seem to be a thing over here in Japan, thankfully), but this turned up in my Facebook feed (thanks Ed!) and it is the most idiotic thing I have read all year (and that includes the extensive humblebrag by someone quitting Google and the socialite who had a meltdown because she wasn't allowed into an onsen because of the rules):http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/11/xbro-interview-gamergate-numero-dos/Mental.

YOU'RE WELCOME

*fades back into the ether*

GamerGate appear to be trying to crowd source a book.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12pVu8KX8lACSUpKaVo-_JyLDaS3m6GAyUCt_7JqcIhI/mobilebasic?pli=1

These people have no idea how Internet warfare works. We can say 'war' all we want, but this is an unfamiliar battleground to them, something they will easily get confused about. We need to explain to them what an internet war is, how 'battles' are fought, specific fighting(arguing) techniques used, and how 'battles' and 'wars' are ultimately won. Make websites like cities, objectives open for capturing, which is done by removing/converting the 'citizens'(users) there. A battle might be fought over an article, and people attempting to prove it's validity, or directly attacking (shitposting/spamming out/Dos-ing) a different website. We need a good analogy here.

People need to dig up some info to get brainstorming. The latter part, containing the continuing happenings, needs to be put off from completion until #GG is completely over. Hopefully well finish it in a year or so. Wont take that long. Really the only limit is however long GG lasts.

:facepalm:

The aim of the first chapter:

We need a good intro, something that makes the reader go: Ah hah!

Realize that an intro is the books first impression, it is very important to encompass a large idea, into a digestible and easy to comprehend statement.

So we get scintillating suggestions like:

Christopher Poole, or better known by his online name as moot, created 4chan in 2003. Moot was 15 at the time. So then, what is 4chan? 4chan is an extremely popular western-based anonymous imageboard oriented around Japanese cartoons. It is an Americanized version of 8chan, a Japanese imageboard. Moot created the site by translating the 2chan code from Japanese to English, making 4chan almost completely identical to 2chan. However, Poole made a very significant change which has become one of 4chans most defining features; 4chan was created without an archive. When threads reach a bump limit, they traditionally are archived, so people can search through all old posts and read them. When a thread is created, the current one at the bottom of the bump list is deleted. A new comment on a thread counts as a bump, and refreshes the thread, keeping it from falling behind and being deleted. Once a thread is gone past the bump limit, its gone. All data is erased and no archive is saved. No one, not even the administrators can recover said threads.

:lol: I can't wait to read more about an imageboard.

A sub-culture fueled by the outright need to express ourselves in a matter that is genuine, no norms, no deviance, no going back, once you taste true freedom its like youve found what Free-Speech was all about during the formation of the colonial USA. (other countries with free-speech with similar implications)

The ability to practice what is a human birthright, without fear of being prosecuted publicly for dissentful words or distasteful opinions; true unabated freedom.

However, during the progression of the years of tasting freedom, the freedom to speak out despite culture, despite societies norms; an occurrence arose a strike at that which we held to the utmost of standards: freedom to speak out, and video games.

Oh, to be that self important & deluded.

CH 4: A brief history of the Social Justice movement in the US (include backers and key players). [might want a brief definition/history of cultural marxism and its ties to the social justice movement] throw in definition of oppression olympics for good measure.

words to define: privilege, oppression, racism (SJW definition)... more?

Begin by outlining SJWs stance on the issue, try to follow on with their idea that patriarchy is everywhere. We could outright dismiss it because its accusing human cis males of being, well, human cis males, or we could follow up on their line of thinking - if we do, explain that its not mens fault women can look like/BE sluts or trans or shit like that, its jews/ruling classs fault. Be extremely cautious here, its a slippery slope.

Describe SJWs influence in comic books and the like and how it came to be, list reasons why gamers started to show active resistance in light of attempts on their hobby. Outline why SJWs are wrong, support it with evidence, mention the statement of equity feminist, Christina Sommers, on the matter. Make a brief remark on how various delusions that SJWs perpetuate are be encouraged by gaming press, follow on it in later chapters.

In the beginning someone should write about opressed people vs. their oppressors, which would be nerd/internet/4chan culture, vs. normalfags. Women vs. men, niggers vs. humans, but then say it's anons vs. normalfags etc.

CH 5: Five guys. Start off with a background to gamergate. Lay the framework to explain everything that is happening. Explain that conflict started when Literally Whos ex-bf Eron went public with all that was going on. In his blog post he mentioned that Zoe (supposedly) slept with five guys for publicity and/or connections. Later on it was proven to be at least 3 guys, and only one actually mattered (no direct proof for other ones), but the important thing is that this blog post was a catalyst for what happened. While an article could be dismissed like other articles like that (I remember there being blog posts on journo insiders in 2012/2013, anyone know what it was?), it generated a wave of publicity when mundanematts video about it was DMCAd by someone claiming to be Literaly Who. People started looking into it and found a lot of shit on this - IA, mundanematt and other outspoken youtubers made videos about it and made this blow up in gaming presss face. This marked the beginning of what was called the cold war.

CH 6: Story gets blown, damage control now. Talk about various escalations by the SJWs. Suggest the idea of celebrity nudes leak as a potential false flag. (include factual DARPA/DiGRA information)

Gaming presss reaction to peoples accusations was handwaving the issue, censoring it when they could and harassing/discrediting #gg when these tactics didnt work. Turns out, these people didnt bother to cover up, so in time a lot of proof showed up, things that deserve a mention - insert quotes from that reddit soundclouds recording, blatant harassment/retardation from neofag, transcript of DiGRA conference, supposed bestforum for hardcore gamers and gaming media, people from gaming press began to attack the identity of gamer(10 articles on the 28th alone), saying that it needs to go and that videogames are meant for a larger audience. It discredited them even further when people took it as harassment, and even if you look at it another way it was wrong - people who grew up on hardcore - TRULY HARDCORE videogames were fed easy cinematic product because its trending. These people (SJWs) wanted to inject their ideology into videogame. SJWs actions were illogical and their behaviour could be at best described as children throwing a tantrum. So people migrated to 4chan, started having hourly #GG threads here. - most of people on twitter who were responding to criticism were attacking in return, discrediting people or outright pretending not to care about this issue when they were met with such accusations - PROVIDE PROOF HERE, SCREENCAPS REQUIRED. CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. Also provide some proof of #gg side being retarded for the sake of an argument, but if you dont count newly-made/used accounts it wont be much. Also, point out blatant double standards in tactics they use - we cant doxx any of them but they are free to do so, we cant slander them, but they can, they were slandering people and when people were pointing out fallacies in their logic they blocked them just to have a last word - all because of news outlets cherrypicking sources for their articles. Turn their gamer ethics argument against them and dont allow them to use the oh both sides have their faggots card by using overwhelming amounts of evidence - We need lots of evidence here. Screenshots, factual connections. leave Jewspiracies out of it unless you have concrete to back it up. This is the meat of this story, dont fuck it up.

CH 7: Moot sells out. Talk about his new jewess girlfriend, the censorship of threads, the mass exodus from 4chan to other places. Present facts - moot posts without a trip since 28 June 2012, http://archive.moe/_/search/username/Moot/tripcode/!Ep8pui8Vw2/capcode/admin/

present facts for the opposing side of the argument - may have been mods/other admins, these screencaps of that mod who was supposedly purged, explain that while we lack decisive evidence (moots trip, #faggot => !Ep8pui8Vw2) to figure out that its him, there were connections (his private twitter, @THE_REAL_MOOT) that lead from him to SJWs - his friend and supposed-SUPPOSED-girlfiend work at gawker. While again, no decisive evidence (there cant be any in the first place, except the twitter), the correlation of the facts that we have (screencaps and moots relation to gawker) is very, very suspicious.

CH 8: Nostalgia chapter. Talk about all your fun times here. Pissing on the /sp/ janitor.

Have

CH 9: Looking to the future Talk about the growth of our new chan. Dont mention it by name. How new admin is currently based but may indeed be getting dropped in the future, if he gets compromised. In fact, dont mention it at all. Newfags and all that.

-Just my opinion; looking to the future should be more about free speech and less about which specific website we use, because this whole SJW bullcrap didnt just happen here. Theyve been affecting education of all levels with their PC bull, as well as newer institutions such as atheism. The less we talk about any newchans the better.