rllmuk
Unofficial Who

Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

I am fairly sure she uses the term "prostituted women" which, I think, is an equally acceptable term if we're going to get all SJW about her use of language.

Surely language which literally objectifies a woman is the least acceptable term? Prostitute has negative connotations, but at least it's an active term, rather than the pure passive vehicles that 'prostituted woman' suggests.

• Upvote 1

Surely language which literally objectifies a woman is the least acceptable term? Prostitute has negative connotations, but at least it's an active term, rather than the pure passive vehicles that 'prostituted woman' suggests.

"prostituted" is accurate though, I think, because the specific virtual women Anita was referring to were street-hooker types who (particularly in these sleazy video game worlds) are generally controlled by someone else such as a pimp and "prostitution" is something that's happened to them, rather than something they're doing. When trying to be politically correct with language to describe a minority group, I don't think the idea is to try and make situations which are actually quite desperate and sad sound empowering by choosing the most active-sounding pronoun, just to avoid hurting the feelings of the person being described. If that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

I was hoping the documentary would be a example of a solid argument, you know with studies and numbers that counter what Anita is saying. For example there are a few times where it's implied that she's doing it for the money, so I wish they would break down her costs for the series (which has been put out the to public) and find faults/lies with those statistics. Instead you get a "She said that there was no Zelda game where you are the princess but there is!" To which the 'SJW' reply is "Yeah in an obscure CDI game that nobody played" to which they could then show evidence that the CDI Zelda game was wildly popular and not as obscure as we're led to believe. The other example was something like "She said that in Hitman the strippers are just there for decoration and to murder but you don't even have to do that. The player can avoid murdering them if they choose to." Well, at least record footage of the game and show us how easy it is to avoid. Still stupid but still something...

Nobody has uploaded the full film yet but someone has uploaded part of his long drawn out conclusion at the end where he addresses any 'SJWs' who may be watching;

• Upvote 2

My favourite bit was the trippy bit where the visuals go all cosmic and we're flying through space looking at stars and planets, and things, for some reason, while Jordan delivers some sort of half baked monologue about how feminist video game criticism is threatening to hold the human race back from enlightenment or something.

Comments much funnier than article.

Just read an article about why you need to be a feminist as well as a humanist that was worth sharing as a future reference point for rebuttal purposes.

Or just point them to the humanist wikipedia page and explain how humanism is nothing to do with gender issues.

(haven't read the article yet, will do later - but it always annoys me when they take the "I'm not a feminist I'm a humanist" angle.

Anita had a meeting at google to talk about ways google could help combat online harassment over the past couple of days. It wasnt just her though, the group included Zoe Quinn, Randi Harper, and several other people who've had run ins with GG,

Whatever you are imagining GGs reaction to be, I'm fairly sure you're not imagining it as mad enough. Cuz dey mad.

• Upvote 2

Zoe Quinn & Anita Sarkeesian have each just spoken at the UN as part of a report on Cyberviolence against Women and Girls

24 SEPTEMBER

Launch of new UN report on Cyberviolence against Women and Girls
Just ahead of the SDG Summit and 12th meeting of the UN Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development the Commission’s Working Group on Gender, co-chaired by Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, UN Women Executive Director and Helen Clark, Administrator, UNDP, will launch an important new report entitled: Cyber Violence Against Women & Girls: A Worldwide Wake-Up Call. The event will also feature guest speakers including Irina Bokova, Director-General, UNESCO; Doreen Bogdan of ITU; Baroness Beeban Kidron, U.K. filmmaker and director of the film ‘In Real Life’ about teen experiences online; along with cyber violence survivors Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn; Madeline di Nonno, CEO of the Geena Davis Institute for Gender & Media, and Roberta Cocco of Microsoft Europe. Media are encouraged to attend, and one-on-one interviews can be arranged upon request from interested media.

- See more at: http://www.unwomen.org/en/news/stories/2015/9/un-women-at-the-un-general-assembly#sthash.1drKB3dD.dpuf

so expect to see more vitriol shortly

• Upvote 2

I would like it if any of the GG-sympathising members we might have here would come in and try to explain their their views. I wonder if we have none at all (seems unlikely) or if its just that they know they wouldn't change our minds on anything so wouldn't bother. Whatever it is I hope it isn't that they are here, but are ashamed of their views and don't want to go rllmuk-public with them.

We've had them come in and try to explain their views, then leave spitting with rage that we don't agree with them.

To be honest I think there's quite a few things said by the likes of Anita S and others that are cobblers but that they also do have a point overall. What makes me want to poke my own eyes out is the utter cretins on both sides that make any sort of discussion on the matter have a high chance of just turning into a slanging match. Recognising that neither side will really listen to the other because there's too many idiots on both sides makes me not want to bother engaging and instead watch this thread every once in a while. If I didn't see this thread I wouldn't even know about this whole GG thing.

This thread definitely gives off a pretty one sided echo chamber vibe. This is coming from someone who occasionally checks the thread and who broadly agrees with the whole thing Anita and co are after.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The problem is you say anything against Anita and the beta white knight SJWs that fill rllmuk pelt you with negs. Then they wonder why the thread is a right-on echo chamber. /awaits negs to prove me right

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 24

beta white knight SJWs

:lol: are you alpha then? How are people on here white knights if these women are defending themselves and articulating their arguments in the face of abuse?

• Upvote 2

The problem is you say anything against Anita and the beta white knight SJWs that fill rllmuk pelt you with negs. Then they wonder why the thread is a right-on echo chamber. /awaits negs to prove me right

For someone who has repeatedly posted in this thread that people should say what they want on the internet, online abuse isn't real abuse, and you even wished aids upon someone for something, you sure do whine about negs.

• Upvote 2

I'm hardly alpha myself but compared to the majority of rllmuk I'm macho as fuck.

You can still be a white knight and defend someone who doesn't need defending if you feel you will score SJW brownie points in your chosen community.

It's valid to await negs when it's the answer to the topic being discussed. Why is this thread an echo chamber? Because of rllmuks rep system.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

For someone who has repeatedly posted in this thread that people should say what they want on the internet, online abuse isn't real abuse, and you even wished aids upon someone for something, you sure do whine about negs.

I'm not whining about negs, I'm pointing out the fact that's the reason you don't get anyone going against the rllmuk consensus in this thread. I originally said in here that both sides are as rubbish as each other, and that somehow made me a pro GG guy apparently.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

My biggest issue is that it's almost impossible to critique the Fem Freq videos thanks to the moronic Gamergaters as everyone gets lumped in with their ridiculous shit.

I wasn't happy with their attitude towards Fair Use, for example. I also find that, though I think the tropes of women in videogames are well identified, that perhaps the well is running a little dry in the last few vids. Some of the criticism aimed at violence in games that leaks in occasionally is also academically groundless - there is simply no proof that it is bad for people.

I do see McIntosh stating anti-game violence comments on Twitter all the time and it reminds me of the video nasty moral panics of the 80s.

There's absolutely no reason you can't critique them, if anything the GG nutjobs give a good contrast to show you're actually debating the points. They want discussion and discourse. It's not happening if you call people beta white knight SJWs though.

Why? Those phrases existed long before GG.

But it's a completely pejorative term isn't it. Basically you are saying everyone in here is a muppet, and they are trying to win brownie points with women. It's hardly likely to put people in the right mood to take anything you say in good faith or bother to converse with you.

• Upvote 1