rllmuk
Unofficial Who

Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

There's a big push for him to do an Australian tour.

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/timblair/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/the_year_of_milo/

Excellent Breitbart columnist and jazz hands scholar Milo Yiannopoulos is 16 days into his year of revolutionary cultural libertarianism:

It stands against any authoritarian, from the Right or the Left, who sucks fun and freedom from the world like some kind of vampire without the cool factor, and who uses faux grievances and exaggerated victimhood to get what they want. Cultural libertarianism rejects the fainting-couch feminism and race-baiting of the Left in favour of deliberately provocative joyfulness and exuberance. It also predicates facts over hurt feelings, versus the social justice crowd who want to turn harrowing anecdotes into “lived experience” — which we are then expected to treat like scientific data.

While college campuses retreat into safe spaces, emotional coddling and treating the leaders of tomorrow like primary school children, cultural libertarians think of new ways to provoke and offend people. In a culture of control, conformity, and coddling, cultural libertarians are the true counterculture. 2015 was the year victimhood and hurt feelings became social currency — but cultural libertarians are putting an end to the madness.

It’s all part of Milo’s Dangerous Faggot tour of 2016, which aims to take down the social justice warrior movement:

If you take their crybully pronouncements at face value, social justice warriors believe, with all the fervor of a paranoiac, that they are helpless, fragile things, buffeted by sinister structural forces they are powerless to resist. They believe that their opponents possess power that, if used ruthlessly enough, could eradicate them. What do you say we prove them right?

Quite so. Milo should bring his tour to target-rich Australia.

Meanwhile That Dragon Cancer is taking a lot of heat.

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/gamers-have-become-the-new-religious-right-8069235

For instance, That Dragon, Cancer has just come out, a game I’ve been avidly waiting for more than the last two years. It’s a game about navigating the world of parents whose son is diagnosed with a rare and deadly form of cancer as a baby. The game was inspired by the experiences of creators Amy and Ryan Green, whose son, Joel, lived to the age of five after being given only four months to live when he was one.

It sounds like a beautiful bit of interactive art, and as someone who has watched way too many people lose to the dragon I had a personal interest in playing it once I get paid this weekend. Unfortunately, Feminist Frequency gave the game a good review, and so of course the horde has descended on Steam to flood the forums with cries of “feels-marketing” and saying the Greens immoral for not donating profits to cancer research. Bear in mind, none of these people have actually played That Dragon, Cancer. They just hate it because a bunch of other people they normally pick on all got together and said it made them feel something.

"uses faux grievances and exaggerated victimhood to get what they want"

This from the man who says a Liberal media conspiracy stealing his Twitter badge is the most important issue in free speech right now.

• Upvote 9

Because if they'd had free speech they wouldn't have made that, the same people would totally have made that 11 billionth brown corridor military dystopian near future shoot em up that we so desperately need.

• Upvote 1

Imagine being someone who thinks they're hard done by compared to someone whose kid died of cancer, because the dead child's parent made a game about that experience and you're afraid that this might somehow result in the next Gears of War being slightly less violent.

To be fair, some of these people are the same people now defending that Ralph dick for repeatedly hosting guest columnists on his "news" site who write articles slagging off women involved in Gamergate which amount to personal insults and calling them sluts or ugly. This includes an article about how a guy who was quite involved in GG lost his girlfriend after she committed suicide, and one of their friends said some words on twitter where she mentioned that they were both involved in GG, and one of the guest writers wrote an entire column to call her an attention whore trying to capitalise on someones suicide to boost her popularity. The same article ended with a message to the grieving boyfriend with and image of the "I choo choo choose you" Valentines Day card Ralph gave Lisa that time in the episode of the Simpsons, which seems weird until you know she killed herself by standing in front of a train. The writer on twitter then apparently sent the boyfriend a picture of a dead body on a train track.

Apparently not posting that article would have been against free speech and tantamount to censorship, and sending her boyfriend pics of train related shit and dead bodies is just dark humour, and while it may not be to everyones taste, not sending it would have been censorship too. Or some shit. To be fair, quite a few GG bods are speaking against him, but the amount that are ok with this shit because of "free speech" is pretty sad.

Free speech and being civil to people aren't mutually exclusive though and having free speech doesn't mean the right to be a complete dick.

I don't even know how those two things could have ever been confused, it's mental.

• Upvote 1

The whole freedom of speech and censorship thing gets on my nerves really.

These people keep insisting that them coming under scrutiny for being twats is censorship but in true censorship they'd never get their say, they'd never get a platform where they can get their views out there in the open and they certainly wouldn't be able to complain about coming under criticism either.

They have rights and they are expressing their right to be twats. The people who do not like them being twats however also have equal rights to rebut such behaviour. You can do something but no action is without some form of impact on someone else, it's why a lot of laws exist in the first place.

• Upvote 1

It's actually Ros Social Warrior, she just doesn't only fight for justice. Hence not liking these fly by night SJW's only putting in effort in a narrow area within the vast social war battlefield.

• Upvote 3

The whole freedom of speech and censorship thing gets on my nerves really.

These people keep insisting that them coming under scrutiny for being twats is censorship but in true censorship they'd never get their say, they'd never get a platform where they can get their views out there in the open and they certainly wouldn't be able to complain about coming under criticism either.

They have rights and they are expressing their right to be twats. The people who do not like them being twats however also have equal rights to rebut such behaviour. You can do something but no action is without some form of impact on someone else, it's why a lot of laws exist in the first place.

And even then Twitter removing a badge or even banning him outright is neither censorship nor a free speech violation.

Because the government aren't doing anything. A private business deciding they don't want something in their house is no more censorship than it would be if Milo tried to stop me standing on his coffee table all evening repeatedly calling him a cunt.

• Upvote 2

Sorry, seemed funny when I was in work

That is the response I get from my internet manchild friends when anything like this comes up. For any with bingo cards they also identify as libertarians and like the red pill in a non-ironic way. I really need to find new people to play Rocket League & Civ with

• Upvote 1

The future of the series has now been outlined;

2015 was our first full year as a nonprofit, and throughout the year I assessed what Feminist Frequency’s short-term and long-term goals should be. After seeing the goals and scope forTropes vs Women in Video Games balloon far beyond my initial imagining, it's important to me to set reasonable expectations for future projects. So, I spent a fair bit of time last year laying the foundation for FemFreq to grow. I continued and expanded our advocacy and consciousness-raising efforts, worked on a complete overhaul of our logo and website, and put together a great team who have been diligently helping me prepare exciting new programming to launch this year.

I’m really proud of the work we have done with Tropes vs Women in Video Games; we took traditional feminist media criticism and developed our own framework for analyzing and deconstructing games via an accessible and engaging format that appeals to a wide-ranging audience. As I’ve talked about before, this project took on a life of its own beyond anything I could have conceived of on that spring day 3 1/2 years ago when I hit publish on a modest Kickstarter. As with many early Kickstarters that were wildly overfunded, we expanded the project accordingly, increasing its scope with each stretch goal. I was so excited that you were so excited about feminist media criticism. By the time we started creating the episodes, however, it was clear the project had become an ambitious beast. Each trope started becoming its own multi-part miniseries that took months and months of research and writing and production. So here we are, over three years later, working on a project that I thought was simply going to take six months to complete.

The reality is that Tropes took over my entire existence, both personally and professionally. For me, the work of Feminist Frequency has become synonymous with constant daily harassment, death threats, bomb threats, intense public scrutiny and profound violations of privacy that have spilled over into the lives of my friends and family. Along with all of this came an impossible pressure to never get any detail or fact wrong; even when our research was impeccable, harassers would act as though we were lying and start wild campaigns to generate more hostility toward us and our work.

The enormous amount of stress caused by the harassment, along with how the project unfolded, took a huge toll on my physical and emotional health. I have been dealing with depressive tendencies for the better part of my life but with my physical health declining and the added pressure of this project, my depression became quite intense. Looking back from a place of greater clarity and balance, I don't know how I managed to survive from day to day, let alone how I continued to step into the public eye online, in newspapers and magazines, and even on national television. Many of my personal relationships were strained or collapsing, and getting out of bed every day felt like climbing up a mountain. There was no end. I was going to be doing this tropes project forever. FOREVER.

In short, I burned out. In some activist communities we talk a lot about burnout because so many of us sacrifice our health, our relationships, our personal lives, in order to try and make positive change in the world. But I don’t believe this needs to be an either/or situation. I realised there had to be a way to balance my health and this project I deeply believe in. That’s why I’m making a change to how I complete this project, and I think you will like it.

xBzc9L6.png

And we are currently working on:

• Bonus Video: Top 10 Common Defenses of Sexism
  • Classroom Curriculum and Lesson Plans

We plan on completing Tropes vs Women in Video Gameswithin the year but it’s going to look a little bit different. Instead of incredibly long videos that focus on one trope and deconstruct hundreds of examples, we are going to break it down into smaller bite-size pieces. We’re going to publish shorter, more focused episodes, by taking the theories and concepts from the remaining tropes and presenting them in 5-10 minute long videos around a very focused topic. These are the topics we will create (titles might change):

JKTYusu.png

I’ve been working hard with my team and am excited to show you the new format - With no further ado, here's the first episode. I hope you enjoy it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

No PN 03?! She's no gamer! :quote:

While the video is sound, it seems a bit odd to pick out Batman as being a game where it's impossible to get a look at a man's bum because it's purposefully obscured. Doesn't he always wear a cape?

Yeah, I felt myself being a bit like "hmmm, really?" during the first half, especially when they seemed to have the player angle the camera right under the butt of Lara. It's not like that's the game's camera is it?

The main point I got from it was that both male and female butts can be displayed but for males it's never a pronounced/obvious butt. Lots of games have women's butts that are not pronounced/obvious but some DO, why are men's butts NEVER pronounced/obvious? Right, so there is a good question there but I can see many of the GG crowd will be so angry about the 'cherry picking''and not be able to think beyond that.

One of the less irritating videos, it's a valid point. Isn't the issue one of diversity? In that all female protagonists having the same body shape, much in the way all the male characters she highlighted are muscular and/or designed to be attractive, rather than the butts themselves being the issue. If FF/Sarkeesian can't relate to a character in a game because they have a pronounced bum, does that say a little about their preconceptions? It's a body shape of many women, it's not an entirely unrealistic depiction, those games will sell more based on the attractive design of the protagonist. But yes, de-emphasising the arse unless appropriate is a reasonable request of developers... with regards to Catwoman, isn't it a character traits of hers as a femme fatale, so actually appropriate for her character?

I was faintly amused at the use of Assassin's Creed as an example, seeing as it's a series that has always been careful to make sure its female leads are treated the same way. Look at the comical lengths it goes to to cover up its female protagonists' behinds!

But otherwise, yeah, it's a reasonable observation, albeit one that is effectively just a subset of the wider 'female characters are dressed and framed in a more sexualised manner than male characters' issue which must have been covered by Tropes... by now, surely? It's been going for long enough now that I can't actually remember everything that's been covered.

No PN 03?! She's no gamer! :quote:

While the video is sound, it seems a bit odd to pick out Batman as being a game where it's impossible to get a look at a man's bum because it's purposefully obscured. Doesn't he always wear a cape?

I was thinking that PN03 would have been the ideal example of this issue, yeah. As for Batman's cape, in the comics/cartoons it's generally a lot lighter, flaring around and showing off that sweet, sweet bat-arse with far less effort than would be required in the games (though of course the cartoonists rarely frame it with the camera directly behind bats), so it's still a valid example.

If FF/Sarkeesian can't relate to a character in a game because they have a pronounced bum, does that say a little about their preconceptions? It's a body shape of many women, it's not an entirely unrealistic depiction, those games will sell more based on the attractive design of the protagonist.

Well, for one thing it was made clear that the 'body type' wasn't the only issue here - in fact, I'm pretty sure she doesn't mention it once in the video, only issues of costuming, camera angles and the way that characters carry themselves. Rather the whole is off-putting - when your character is dressed revealingly, coded to walk in a slinky manner* and framed with camera angles that emphasise their arse, then it's clear that the character is being presented as titillation to the player, and that, as titillation, that's going to distract you from any other aspects of the character.

As you say, limited expression is an issue for male characters too, albeit that they tend to be presented as being some variant of tough guy heroes, and are rarely characterised beyond that, but that hardly takes away from the argument that female characters tend to be presented as sex objects. I would be very happy to see a similar series done about the tropes the male characters tend to fall into, as I find that male characters I can identify with come around even less often than female ones!

*one of the recurring sources of unintentional comedy for me and a couple of friends is those games which have female protagonists who walk with massively accented sway despite wearing, you know, flat shoes, meaning the character must be putting a hell of a lot of effort in to maintain their unnatural gait.

It's definitely a "thing" that third person games with female protagonists tend to overly focus on butts. The character and custom design, their movement and idle animations, camera angles, it all adds up to something pretty undeniable. Maybe she could've used some gender-swap videos to help illustrate her point:

I'm disappointed though that she doesn't see equal-opportunity ogling as the way forward. That's kind of where TV and film are headed.

• Upvote 3

Just remembered that no one commented on a point I tried to bring up a week or two back: Why doesn't Anita decide to show posses/negs on her videos? Comments I can understand but surely there's very little achieved out of hiding how many misinformed clicked a red button. That's it's own form of censorship, you could say. Knowing what the YT community thought, for better or worse.

The other thing I raised was that apparently on the FemFreq live streams no one is allowed to talk in the chat/you get automatically banned (the video made it seem that way). Which again, can understand to a degree but Twitch far more so than YT is made out of it's viewership talking during, you know, live streams.

• Downvote 4