IGNORED

Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

I recognise most of the things in that picture, including the unfortunate inclusion of a Trump book but who is that framed picture of? Should I know that person? Looks like someone from original 90210 or something like that. Doesn't look like it quite matches up with the rest of the geekier stuff?

3 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I recognise most of the things in that picture, including the unfortunate inclusion of a Trump book but who is that framed picture of? Should I know that person? Looks like someone from original 90210 or something like that. Doesn't look like it quite matches up with the rest of the geekier stuff?

It's that Milo guy from Breitbart.

3 minutes ago, Liquid Myth said:

It's that Milo guy from Breitbart.

:lol:

I genuinely don't know if that is or not, even though it could well be him from a few years ago from my memory of him being a dyed blonde eejit and is the sort of amazingly narcissistic thing that he would do, at the same time, it's almost too idiotic for it to actually be real, let alone for someone to have bought and put on a shelf.

It is him, isn't it? :(

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I like this conviction that all these doofuses have that they're being attacked by rainbow-haired emo hipster genx slacker hippies. (Not just Persson, but the whole ensemble.) I had intellectually come to terms with the fact that somehow our generation of superhero-loving video-game players with our mainstream high-budget sci-fi TV shows would nevertheless wind up becoming stuffy old fusspots like the generation before. I assumed it would be a kind of glacial process where you don't realise it until years after it has already happened, but here we are. You wake up one morning and the guys who write Penny Arcade have become our generation's answer to Richard Littlejohn.

Actually, that's it isn't it? I don't think I've seen quite that written down before. But you've nailed it. 

1 hour ago, Mr Cochese said:

Whenever I see someone wearing a backwards baseball cap now, I pinch myself to make sure I didn't just dream the last quarter of a century.

I might be totally unfashionable and not 'with it' in various senses of the phrase but I really don't understand the backwards baseball cap look, it looks fucking idiotic. I thought it looked idiotic in the 80s and I've worn a few baseball caps in my time and not once did I think it was ever a remotely a good idea to turn it around as invariably, everyone that wears them like that looks like a dick.

Even worse is the way that now cap makers have the logo on the back and they don't have those button re-sizing bands because they know people wear them that way around.

I'm tempted to start a thread for forumites to post pics of them wearing a cap backwards just to see if anyone looks even remotely passable in one. Even Milo, who despite being a huge, malodorous bell-end isn't exactly an ugly chap, still looks like a donut with a cap on like that.

Zoe Quinn has made a statement about the case she dropped

http://blog.unburntwitch.com/

The good news is that it’s finally over. The courts ruled that I acted within my rights, and dismissed his appeal as moot. I had gone into this asking that the court drop this and let me move on with my life, and they reassured my legal right to do so. My ex wanted to use me to set first amendment case law - what happened was a ruling that reassured the rights of domestic violence survivors to modify and terminate their restraining orders if they’re causing more harm than good. This was the outcome I wanted - not just for myself, but for anyone else that’s tried whatever they could to get away from their abuser without fully realizing how the legal system might make everything worse.

31 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Dyed hair really gets to these fuckers, doesn't it? What a bizarre thing to obsess over.

My best guess is it's something to do with women changing their appearance for themselves instead of with the intention of snaring a choice male, like the charming denizens of Kotaku in Action.

But who knows. They're a bunch of loons.

I feel like the dyed hair thing is in part down to a kind of subconscious homophobia where these people associate non-natural hair colour with people who associate themselves with pride movements or sub-cultures which they find disconcerting even if they aren't openly homophobic themselves. This seems like an extreme leap but I don't think it is uncommon to find people who aren't comfortable with "queer" concepts.

That's what I've gathered anyway, even my sisters boyfriend (who is a really nice guy; disclaimer) got in trouble for this in college because he assumed another student was gay because he had pink hair.

I remember it entering the Gamergate lexicon when some MENSA candidate dug up a paper (lone paper) that they used to tenuously connect dyed hair with mental illness, and used this to attack Zoe Quinn because she had dyed hair. They've been on it ever since, to the point where Milo was posting some pseudoscientific claptrap about warning colouration on the Breitbart tech blog and they were lapping it up. Literally the untested unsupported hypothesis of some guy who failed his way into being a tech editor, and they think it's the good shit.

For a group that's supposedly defending rationality and logic in a world gone mad they'll sure absorb any bullshit that vaguely sounds like it agrees with them about that one woman they don't like.