IGNORED

Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

1 hour ago, Mentazm said:

I thought the dyed hair anger stems from the person thinking they're a unique beautiful "alt" snowflake when they are just conforming to alt stereotypes and being unoriginal?

"Argh! You're not a beautiful snowflake, you're just a regular dickhead like me! Argh!"

What a fucking world.

I went to see David Baddiel last week, he has a pretty interesting show about his parents (his mum had a torrid affair for a few decades). One of the minor themes of his show was about the policing of acceptable speech, and Twitter outrage was a part of this (he gets a lot of it for making jokes and for being a Jew). It's the first time I've heard Social Justice Warrior used in its non-GamerGate context.

I think it's a tricky one for comedians in particular because they're accustomed to performing to a self-selected audience who go in knowing that they're going to try to get something or other out of it, whereas on Twitter they're essentially performing to an audience of everyone, including people who aren't predisposed to be open to a particular joke. You give the benefit of the doubt to someone more readily when you've turned on their TV show or paid to be in their audience than when a random retweet appears in your timeline, basically.

People are getting this material completely unsolicited is the base issue, I suppose. It's like the difference between making a dead baby joke to your friends at the pub and a dead baby joke over the PA system at the supermarket.

Combine that with comedy's inevitable capacity to cause offence - because so much of comedy is about subverting norms and challenging the accepted - and you have a very challenging new environment.

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

People are getting this material completely unsolicited is the base issue, I suppose. It's like the difference between making a dead baby joke to your friends at the pub and a dead baby joke over the PA system at the supermarket.

Pretty much, there's a Reginald D Hunter show that ends with a really horrific rape joke that he turns into a joke about women drivers.

And you just got that sentence out of context, and it sounds horrific. It sounds horrific to me and I've seen the show.

But on that room on that night he utterly sold it, it relies on several callbacks to earlier part of the shows and a fairly serious force of personality to make work as a closing line of a show.  He pulled it off 100%.

But had he attempted any part of it on Twitter, without the context. I don't even want to think about it.

His actual tweets were innocuous. E.g. he repeated a joke from his 10 year old about Red Bull doesn't give you wings, it gives you diabetes. And then had to deal with lots of tedious hand wringing about how Hactually Type 1 Diabetes is caused by some auto immune thing, and how dreadful it's is that a young boy would make light of such an awfulthing. Or at least that his joke should have more accurately specified Type 2 Diabetes.

And then lots of stuff where social media activists would bring up Netanyahu in his @replies to irrelevant things, purely because he's a Jew.

There was a minor theme about how anger and outrage are like a volume control to turn up our personality and reach on social media. And then how that the sum total of outrage was limiting the acceptable range of conversation. Which fed into the main theme of the evening, which was how people's real lives and personalities are much broader and more challenging than the things we say about them in polite society. Which linked into emails from his mum about how her "clitoris is on fire" and her interest in golf.

Anyway, it was odd to hear SJW outside of this thread. 

25 minutes ago, Graham_S said:

how people's real lives and personalities are much broader and more challenging than the things we say about them in polite society.

It's kind of like we've gone full circle and the internet, instead of providing heterogeneous spaces people can escape to that fit their personal norms thereby freeing them to self-express, is now providing one homogeneous space that everyone has to:

a) be on their best behaviour in

b) fight over

The global village. Except the village is from a British sitcom or 1950s suburban America.

I didn't make my main Twitter private as any great act of self-liberation but I'll confess to feeling much more comfortable talking in that carved-out private space, than when I use my other account on Real Twitter. 'Cause you're on full broadcast mode.

Anyway, I'll have to look out for that set if he's ever touring nearby.

Earlier that day I was being told of a local primary school kid who had clammed up and got really uncomfortable during a "what you did at the weekend" class conversation / piece of work. And it became clear that even as a tiny child it was clear to them that their usual weekend as part of some Lahndahn rough boxing circle wasn't acceptably middle class talk for polite school society. 

6 hours ago, Mentazm said:

I thought the dyed hair anger stems from the person thinking they're a unique beautiful "alt" snowflake when they are just conforming to alt stereotypes and being unoriginal?

It's just straight up conservative dislike of anything that is different or tries to stray from the mainstream. The way they joke about it is exactly the same way that people with very conservative views mock anything that is in any way "alternative" or "counter culture" or whatever. 

A lot of it also seems to be related to a certain amount of jealousy, in regards to it being bitterness that these people didn't have this sort of thing, or could dye their hair whatever colour they wanted when they were kids, so are pissed off that anyone can do it.

Similar to how a lot of people who are complaining about people talking about safe spaces or being free with their sexuality turn out to actually be more bitter that they didn't have a safe space when they were young, or weren't allowed to put a skirt on at school if they wanted to, so why should these other people be able to? I couldn't no one else can sort of mentality.

I don't know at all how true it is but I think some of that is definitely in GG - "I'm a geeky guy that was shunned for it when younger, so how can women now join in to this thing that was all mine" and that kind of thing.

39 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

I've gotten pretty used to seeing the term SJW in all sorts of places. Also the term cuckold which I've noticed has taken off as the new "white knight" in terms of usage.

I kinda wondered where "cuck" had come from. It seems to pop up a lot on awful pro-Trump/UKIP subreddits.

37 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I kinda wondered where "cuck" had come from. It seems to pop up a lot on awful pro-Trump/UKIP subreddits.

That one's just plain misogynistic. It implies that a man is less of a man because he is subservient to, or in some way emasculated by, his female partner, therefore intrinsically implying that the relationship between men and women should be dominant/submissive, in the natural order of things. 

3 minutes ago, K said:

That's the worst thing I've ever read, and I've read Ready Player One. 

You should read Armada. I'd go as far as saying Ready Player One is an utter masterpiece by comparison.

Yeah, I only read it as some people on Twitter were presenting it as a well written, balanced, think-piece.  I am now seriously wondering why I'm following them.

Edit: was a reply to Alex's post