rllmuk
Unofficial Who

Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

11 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

How does reading work?

Going to guess they made themselves out to be saviors of all things requiring justice perhaps? I don't remember it that way.. They tended to ramble about censorship (whilst doing unneeded terrible things towards people, certainly).

• Downvote 7

On 6/23/2016 at 01:54, Rudderless said:

It'd be daft if GG meant you couldn't ever use '-gate' to refer to scandals any more,

It would be welcome, though.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, NEG said:

Going to guess they made themselves out to be saviors of all things requiring justice perhaps? I don't remember it that way..

Did the whole "actually it's about ethics" meme pass you by?

37 minutes ago, NEG said:

Going to guess they made themselves out to be saviors of all things requiring justice perhaps?

Literally the one thing they said they were out to save was ethics in games journalism.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Did the whole "actually it's about ethics" meme pass you by?

Aha. In which case any number of people should be boo'ing Pewdiepie/those related for not disclosing, not just GG. Much like the whole CS:Go gambling thing everyone and their mother made a video about during the last week.

Had the doxx'ing thing or similar terribleness happened to anyone this year?

Edit: Okay, I see the point of poking at them in particular when I just saw Alex's post.

• Downvote 12

I actually looked on Kotakuinaction, assuming there must be some kind of uproar about this.

Turns out they're more concerned with Kate Gray (who used to do videos for Xbox On) saying nice things about Nintendos localisations of some game because she used to work for an official Nintendo magazine.  Not Nintendo themselves.  A Nintendo mag.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I actually looked on Kotakuinaction, assuming there must be some kind of uproar about this.

Turns out they're more concerned with Kate Gray (who used to do videos for Xbox On) saying nice things about Nintendos localisations of some game because she used to work for an official Nintendo magazine.  Not Nintendo themselves.  A Nintendo mag.

Don't get me wrong, KIA is a horrible place (see, for example, their response to Nottinghamshire Police classing misogyny as a hate crime). But they have mentioned this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/4skeb2/sjws_on_trollxchromosomes_desperately_try_to_do/d5a4wii

Have you read any of those links though?  It's mostly people making excuses as to why this isnt actually a big deal, patting themselves on the back or turning it around to complain about games journalists.  I only looked at the first one I found, so you're right they have mentioned it, but not in any particularly meaningful way.

*to be fair to Pewdiepie, I dont think what he did was particularly terrible, and apparently he did put it was a sponsored vid, but it was one of those things where if you didnt expand the description box, you wouldnt see it.  That said, if Zoe Quinn had done a video with the exact same thing, they would be going furious about it.  It's the hypocrisy that bugs me about it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

That said, if Zoe Quinn had done a video with the exact same thing, they would be going furious about it.  It's the hypocrisy that bugs me about it.

Exactly - a few discussions on KIA and the odd subreddit annoyed at ~actual~ corruption vs screaming outrage, death threats and horrific abuse levelled at a few women daring to write about, make or analyse games..

So I've been a supporter of Anita's work, I don't always agree, but I least understand her point of view. However, I have had to unfollow her on twitter due to her claim that this is a "great article".

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/07/12/pokemon_go_vs_the_racism_and_sexism_of_the_outside_world.html

Now, I know the games industry has a major issue with sexism, racism and a variety of other isms, but to me that read like something you'd see in the Daily Mail (in fact I'm going to take a wild guess and say there already is). It's the usual finding a bad thing in something that brings many people joy type of story that really annoyed me more than I thought it would. Am I wrong here?

Yes, I could've posted this in the Pokemon Go thread, but I thought I'd get better responses here. :)

• Upvote 1

There's some provocative statements in there, but I think it's more about a reminder how seemingly innocuous activities are still different for women/non-whites etc., rather than Pokemon Go being inherently bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seems like a pretty good article to me, and I absolutely can't imagine the DM running a piece dealing casually with systemic racism and sexism, unless they've really changed a lot while I wasn't looking.

It's not a piece that's finding a 'bad thing' in something people enjoy, it's a piece using Pokémon Go as a means to highlight the different experiences and issues that different groups face when engaging in the same activity. I mean, you're welcome to not enjoy the article, but it's not really doing what you've painted it as doing!

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Gambit said:

So I've been a supporter of Anita's work, I don't always agree, but I least understand her point of view. However, I have had to unfollow her on twitter due to her claim that this is a "great article".

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/07/12/pokemon_go_vs_the_racism_and_sexism_of_the_outside_world.html

Now, I know the games industry has a major issue with sexism, racism and a variety of other isms, but to me that read like something you'd see in the Daily Mail (in fact I'm going to take a wild guess and say there already is). It's the usual finding a bad thing in something that brings many people joy type of story that really annoyed me more than I thought it would. Am I wrong here?

Yes, I could've posted this in the Pokemon Go thread, but I thought I'd get better responses here. :)

It's not that bad.  Just points out some obvious precautions that people need to take with the game.

Women need to be little more cautious for their own safety.  Yeah sure. No massive controversy there.

Same with the black guys (mostly in the US admittedly).

It's not a particularly good article either to be honest. Points out some pretty obvious things but maybe they're obvious to me since I'm a non white in the UK and sometimes you have to be aware of what you're doing and how that might be perceived by others.  It's not fair but shit, I guess that's life.

In other news.

"New Cabinet Minister Andrea Leadsom brands men looking after child 'not sensible' in case they are paedophiles"

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14622261.New_Cabinet_Minister_Andrea_Leadsom_brands_men_looking_after_child__not_sensible__in_case_they_are_paedophiles/

Better late than never I suppose..

Doubtless his supporters are already frothing at the 'injustice' of yet another poor white man being victimised!

The fact he had around 400k followers is most depressing though..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MDY said:

Better late than never I suppose..

Doubtless his supporters are already frothing at the 'injustice' of yet another poor white man being victimised!

Known moron Louise Mensch wants Twitter to be brought up in front of US Congress as a bad monopoly and something something something free speech. 

• Upvote 1

I was actually encouraged to hear that he only had c.400,000 followers to be honest. I muted him a long time ago after an exchange over how he couldn't be misogynist because he was gay. But his presence on somebody's timeline has proven to be a great character reference when deciding whether somebody is a git or not.

• Upvote 3

Milo's biggest crime was being a self aggrandising attention whore. He never believed a word of what he was saying. He just latched on to whatever right wing issue brought him the most publicity. He practically admitted so on his last JRE appearance.

• Upvote 1

If you act like a massive dickhead in public constantly, but you have your fingers crossed behind your back, can people really call you a massive dickhead?

(Yes)

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Mentazm said:

Milo's biggest crime was being a self aggrandising attention whore. He never believed a word of what he was saying. He just latched on to whatever right wing issue brought him the most publicity. He practically admitted so on his last JRE appearance.

I was living in hope that it would at some point become advantageous to Milo to drop Gamergate so they could see that they never really had his support, but it's become clear to me that there are some hardcore supporters at the core at movements like that that are just totally immune to anything that goes against their way of thinking.  If Milo was to totally renounce GG tomorrow they would find some way of interpreting it in their favor, & it's this totally immunity to contrary points of view that I find quite scary.

• Upvote 2