IGNORED

Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

While I thought it was a bunch of nonsense when it was first announced, some of the videos actually made me reconsider some things I took for granted before and while some of the "hard feminism"/PC stuff still makes me cringe and there were some badly researched or interpreted examples rolled out, there were definitely some eye openers, the main one the realisation there is indeed a lack of strong, female lead characters (not counting the S&M dominatrix leather clad look femme fatale with a roundhouse kick cliche) which now at least  seems to be on the uptake.

37 minutes ago, K said:

Mild critique of female roles in games: get this off my screen immediately.

Don't know where I said that. People are free to do as they please. Just don't start crying when you get some blow back from the manbabies of the internet because you really should have seen it coming going in. 

1 hour ago, Mentazm said:

Don't know where I said that. People are free to do as they please. Just don't start crying when you get some blow back from the manbabies of the internet because you really should have seen it coming going in. 

The internet and its manbabies can go get fucked to be honest. 

This is somewhat of a controversial opinion but I really wish that linking your online personas to your your ID/passport/social security number was mandatory so that people would be less inclined to send out death and/or rape threats (they sort of have a system like that in China, make of that what you will). I mean obviously it's a grey area (can you still call someone a cunt then?) but fucking hell... some of these fucks are beyond clueless. While I'm a 'free internet' supporter first and foremost I feel like the ease of use of the medium has caused people to be completely oblivious as to what effect they actually have on others.

I mean you wouldn't yell out rape threats to people on the street or send out letters or whatever (most of us wouldn't anyway). I hope that in the future most sites have AI moderators running in the background which insta-ban you the moment you so happen to resort to being a complete and utter twat.

52 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

I find them both as bad as each other. Two sides of the same coin. But you aren't allowed to say that around here.

Discussion of mysogyny in video games Vs actual criminal threats against women.

You think those are two sides of the same coin? Are you insane?

This is something I really disagree with though; nobody should have to accept to be threatened with death/rape/assault/harassment for airing an opinion some find offensive. In fact, if there's one thing the GamerGate movement showed, it's that Anita Sarkeesian definitely has a point when she states there's something rotten in gaming culture. If anything, these vocal opponents have ironically done more to damage gaming culture and the image of gamers than Anita and her "army of SJWs".

She started it though.

Just now, Illyria said:

Are you daft? You think that side of gaming didn't exist until Anita started releasing her videos and pointing out things about videogame culture that warrant discussion? REALLY??? :lol: :lol:

Have you ever talked to a woman, any woman, and her online gaming experiences before?

Didn't think so.

You should know your place...

...on Dust 2, in pit, and defend A for fuck's sake! 

3 minutes ago, Illyria said:

Are you daft? You think that side of gaming didn't exist until Anita started releasing her videos and pointing out things about videogame culture that warrant discussion? REALLY??? :lol: :lol:

Have you ever talked to a woman, any woman, and her online gaming experiences before?

Didn't think so.

The issues were still in games to some extent, but the right wasn't organised in gaming until Gamegate/Milo//Breitbart/Alt-Right. They arose around the same time, both gathering momentum from the other. She's probably partly responsible for Trump getting into office.

In Mentazm's defence I think what he's trying to say (not very well that is) is that he's disappointed in the ways the movement (maybe as a whole) has caused more segregation instead of bringing people together. 

Most of us here are rational thinkers and don't feel the same way but unfortunately Mentazm himself is sort of proving his own point.

amirite mentazm? ami?

Just now, Gambit said:

Can you all stop replying to Mentazm please. He's trolling you all.

Ah I knew something was up. My alarm bells started going off when he said something about Anita being partially responsible for getting a president in office. 

6 minutes ago, VN1X said:

In Mentazm's defence I think what he's trying to say (not very well that is) is that he's disappointed in the ways the movement (maybe as a whole) has caused more segregation instead of bringing people together. 

Most of us here are rational thinkers and don't feel the same way but unfortunately Mentazm himself is sort of proving his own point.

amirite mentazm? ami?

I don't think he's trying to say this at all  :lol:

3 hours ago, Mentazm said:

The main issues TLOU had was it was very brown with repetitive gameplay. I didn't notice any issue with Ellie being weak.

Now these videos are finished did the series actually accomplish anything other than make Anita rich and famous? When they started we were twenty years past Lara croft having giant tits, Anita really had to dig deep and often went to Japan, a completely different culture and ruleset, to prove her point. And even then she had to pull some incredible mental gymnastics to jam them into her worldview.

The lasting legacy is a fractious gaming scene, and the memory of gamergate.

I think she opened a lot of people's eyes to the fact that there is a lot of latent and not-so-latent sexism in a large number of games. We know that this criticism has been taken on board by a good number of developers and, although I don't play a huge number of new video games these days, from what I have heard, this has led to definite instances of developers making conscious decisions to make their games more inclusive. I don't see the gaming scene as particularly fractious - Gamergate was just a bunch of noisy "snowflake" kids butthurt about the idea that someone would dare to criticise their hobby. It doesn't bear any relation to "gamers" as I know them - everyone on here, and all of my friends/family who love video games. 

Anita may have got a few details wrong, here and there, about some of the games she was talking about, but to be honest I couldn't give a shit about that and I don't think that it in any way proves that she doesn't understand the issues around gaming and inclusiveness. 

3 hours ago, Mentazm said:

Why is rllmuk mostly happy with the demonisation and destruction of male sexuality?

On a similar note I'm reminded of, listened to a podcast recently where both members of a couple were disturbed by Lego City (Wii U) of all things, but the point was valid. Every single male in the game is apparently 'stupid' for the sake of comedy and every female represented as 'clever'. What's that telling our kids that the game is aimed for, that you grow up to be stupid?

This stuff is certainly not being covered in equal measure right now as it is towards females. It's not popular to do so.