IGNORED

Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

2 minutes ago, clippa said:

Yeah, but if the media is a reflection of it's societies culture, you get something that's more real than reality, you get the stark sharp relief of our ideals and values.

Maybe Joe is right, we're coming at this from the wrong direction. We're trying to reverse engineer, warp the reflection in the mirror, hoping that it'll somehow change us when really we should be concentrating more on what happens in the real world and the rest will follow.

There's no value in talking about anything unless you're going to entirely uproot society at foundational levels. OK.

Christ, a woman made some videos where she said some video games have some imperfect representations of (and to) women. That's all.

1 minute ago, clippa said:

Yeah, but if the media is a reflection of it's societies culture, you get something that's more real than reality, you get the stark sharp relief of our ideals and values.

Maybe Joe is right, we're coming at this from the wrong direction. We're trying to reverse engineer, warp the reflection in the mirror, hoping that it'll somehow change us when really we should be concentrating more on what happens in the real world and the rest will follow.

If you have a sink you want to empty, you need to turn off the tap as well as pull the plug.

1 minute ago, clippa said:

giphy.gif

Omfg how can you fall for Ramone's trolling, this is hilarious.

You need to work on both. BOTH. There is not one, simple right way to address the issue. You need to work on it from different directions, you need to work on it on every damn level.

@Fry Crayola put it better than I can.

I want to give people a look into how women are treated online. This is not OK, and I'm doing my best to show that.

https://mic.com/articles/176903/female-overwatch-player-harassed-for-16-minutes-uploads-it-all-to-you-tube#.vZT8SAQW2

But of course, according to NEG she should have just logged off or something...

7 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

https://mic.com/articles/176903/female-overwatch-player-harassed-for-16-minutes-uploads-it-all-to-you-tube#.vZT8SAQW2

But of course, according to NEG she should have just logged off or something...

Nope, person did the best thing possible in this case. There's a difference between in-person and not in person, in regards to the previous instance you mention.

Nap, it's not about dissenting voices. Jesus, read through the last few pages and you'll see me defending Neg because even though I agree with basically nothing he says, I don't think he was trolling. Dissenting voices are fine.

Ramone however is a smart guy who merely likes to troll and therein lies the difference. If he would seriously engage in a discussion, fine. But that's not what he does, and he only has himself to blame. I didn't report him though, for what it's worth.

At the risk of feeding the obvious trollboy.

How do you think we make social progress if not by questioning underlying attitudes? And pointing out evidence of these attitudes? Such as these tropes?

4 minutes ago, Illyria said:

Imagine being a woman, reading his posts - would you think they're fun, even knowing that he is not to be taken serious? Tell me. Or would you rather roll your eyes in frustration at the obvious trolling which adds nothing worthwhile to the conversation. (Hint: It's the latter)

I don't know, I've been taught not to think about women as a homogeneous group but as individuals with different opinions and responses to various situations.

1 minute ago, NEG said:

If only we had a 'serious' folder.

Hey, this is the first post of yours I've peeked at since blocking you. 

Hope you spend the rest of your days alone and full of regret. 

Just kidding! 

12 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

I don't know, I've been taught not to think about women as a homogeneous group but as individuals with different opinions and responses to various situations.

Bloody hell, stuff like this shows it's not the thread that's up its own arse.

All I was pointing out was that Clippa's understanding of Ramone's "humour" might just be coloured by the fact that he's a male and I wanted him to look at it from another perspective. Y'all just like playing Devil's advocate.