Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

But that's because you are male, and presumably intelligent and socially skilled. I've certainly had people be crude on social media to me, and in person, and in written notes.

I can think of several examples. On eBay forums I had guys PM me suggestive stuff. One said I sounded like the kind of person who "wore a Laura Ashley dress with no knickers" and suggested things he'd like to do with me if we met up whilst his wife was away. When I first set up my myspace profile I had a string of guys send unsolicited PMs along the lines of "nice tits, fancy a fuck?" before I figured out the privacy settings, and then similar on facebook. Even here I've had various comments that simply wouldn't get made to a male poster, most of which I've found pretty humorous. The only sexual content I can think of that bothered me was in person: At work I saw a man aged about 50 and within the first hour of meeting he talked about problems in his relationships and how his ex-girlfriend was frigid, explaining "if I'd just pulled you in the pub we'd be fucking on these tables by now, but she never wanted it at all" and went on to tell me in more detail what he'd be doing with me in his sordid imagination compared to what she would let him do, oblivious to the disgust that must have been written all over my face. I ended the session and fed back in my letter (which was copied to him) that he lacked social judgement and had made sexually inappropriate comments. I didn't see him again.

I just don't understand how men (or women, there are doubtless some who act similarly) can act like this towards someone they haven't got to know yet. Surely even someone with terrible social skills must see that it's not exactly a surefire route to success. I think that people who send 'nice tits, wanna fuck?' messages to strangers are disgusting. I'm far from a prude, I just have manners. I'd at least buy them dinner first. :)

If she'd told him to back off, she'd get a call in from her boss asking why she's being rude to the public when it's her job as a PR to answer questions nicely and politely. Can't win this one, it's not her behaviour that needs to change, it's his.

If she'd told him to back off, she'd get a call in from her boss asking why she's being rude to the public when it's her job as a PR to answer questions nicely and politely.

What absolute twaddle. As if anyone would get in trouble for asking someone who was behaving like that to wind their neck in.

What absolute twaddle. As if anyone would get in trouble for asking someone who was behaving like that to wind their neck in.

I've been in that situation - being told to "be nice to clients" and "always come across as friendly", with the implication that personal boundaries < institution's image.

Happens lots.

A Friend of mine is a UK sales manager. Aside from all the chaps at various clients coming on to her. She had one instance where another woman was really quite forceful in coming on to her. When I asked her why she didn't tell her to fuck off, she replied that it was far easlier to just go home and have a drink than to face the wrath of her boss if she lost the account. It went on for months.

Aye, and even working in a decent workplace it can seem daunting to report anything in case you've misread your managers. The last place I worked I had to actively encourage a workmate to report a colleague who was acting improperly towards her (commenting on being aroused around her, making various suggestive comments and intentionally getting changed in front of her when they went out on site), as she was worried that she wouldn't be taken seriously as a reasonably new employee. As it was she did eventually report his behaviour, and he was cautioned then fired for gross misconduct (when he was investigated following the complaint it was found he had stored pictures of his member on the network drive), but without encouragement she might have let it continue for fear of her report backfiring.

It's depressing, but it is understandable that people can feel pressured not to report things, even if, in fact, their employer would turn out to back them 100%

I've been marveling over this image all day. It's hilarious, I could write paragraphs and paragraphs breaking it all apart. So much wrongness. Yet the 'Male Initiative Group' who posted it and many of their members thinks otherwise...

1535410_619632774764987_365466524_n.png

This morning I replied on their facebook thread for that photo;

"Only 44 men have died a year making bridges and enabling hairdryers for women? We better never moan about women because 292,000 of them die every year trying to give us children."

but that's just one tiny point, so many more to make lol

Not games related but I thought it was worth posting this here

http://storify.com/EverydaySexism/sky-sports-news-live-q-and-a-with-beth-tweddle-twi/slideshow

:(

Can't Twitter just set up rapid response death squads, or something? Admittedly, allowing a private company to eliminate human beings without recourse to the judicial system is probably a step too far towards the dystopian, but let's face it, it would be quite a bit better than the 'report' button.

Spoken like a true pimp.

New people arrived in the thread felt that this was not an important topic, had already been done to death or was no more important than the sexualised depiction of men in video games

Sexualised depiction of men in videogames? Really? I mean men are rarely represented as anything other than psychopaths or murderers in games but they're not really very sexy are they? Dante notwithstanding, obviously.