IGNORED

5.1 Sound In Games

DJ Sack

Its great, been playing a bit of PGR, with some techno tunes and the volume up high, the whole room was vibrating with every crash and gear change. Gah its brilliant you can actually feel the car as it goes up through the gears, the music pumping making the floor shake with every beat, i can hear cars coming up behind me, and even if i cant see them infront or in my mirror, i know they are to the side of me.

Brillaint, everyone needs one!

PGR2 is also very good at getting the sound of the car right depending how you are looking at it, look at the car from the front and then move the stick left and right. It just sounds right.

Best 5.1 track is still HALO though IMO apart from the very weak centre... what's that you're saying Cortana ?

Also good are Project Zero and Crimson Skies

I'm being a bit thick and behind the times here I know, but I don't quite know what 5.1 sound is.

Is it simillar to have a home cinema type set up? Are there 5.1 dedicated speaker systems or something?

Sorry, I'm stuck in 1993. Please help.

Best 5.1 track is still HALO though IMO apart from the very weak centre... what's that you're saying Cortana ?

so it's not just my Halo then

yes 5.1 is

Front centre

Front Left

Front Right

Rear Left

Rear Right

with the .1 being the sub

Pah you people need 7.1, 5.1 is so 2001.

Actually what is 7.1? I've got 6.1 and i'm wondering where the other speaker goes?

PGR2 is also very good at getting the sound of the car right depending how you are looking at it, look at the car from the front and then move the stick left and right. It just sounds right.

Also good are Project Zero and Crimson Skies

Hmm never really thought halo used it well, for the music it certainly did and the noise, but most sounds still appear to come from the front. I guess it being an in the head view could be the reason.

7.1 is just 6.1, with the rear centre duplicated to give a big wall'o sound. THere's not additional audio information.

HA! I knew I'd find somet technobabbly type thread even out here in the serious gaming area.

My personal favourite use of 5.1 was the PL2 sound effects in Eternal Darkness. Lights way down, sound way up, pants way browned.

and chintz, I've written this up on me webby if you want a backgrounder

You don't want to know :ph34r:

Just as long as it's not the sub-woofer ;)

My parents are getting a new TV tommorow, but can any TV be 5.1 compliant? I noticed a cheap 5.1 system too and I might be able to twist their arms (or just get it myself), but if it's not compliant with the TV obviously there's no point.

Just as long as it's not the sub-woofer  :ph34r:

My parents are getting a new TV tommorow, but can any TV be 5.1 compliant?  I noticed a cheap 5.1 system too and I might be able to twist their arms (or just get it myself), but if it's not compliant with the TV obviously there's no point.

completely seperate. it's like asking if a TV is xbox compliant. you just run the sounds from your individual system direct to the decoder, no going to the TV at all.

Well according to my 7.1 amp manual it looks like this

....... L.............C..............R...........SUB

.SL................MAN...................SR

.........SBL....................SBR

But what's the point of having them either side if they are just duplicate channels? If they were seperate then that would be a good set up.

cos they give a good mono field of something behind you but large, rather than a single point.

That's also the layout you should use if you have a single rear centre channel.

Popo - Some TVs can actually decode 5.1 themselves and have all the speakers etc, but they ain't very good at it. Other than that, TVs should come without any speakers in my opinion and just be used as a display.

The only other 5.1 compatilbity thing I can think of is whether the top of the TV is flat enough to stick yer centre on :ph34r: