Which console had the best/worst launch games?

Surely Sonic Adventure shouldn't be there as a "good" launch game; it was a dreadful mess even back then. Hilariously so now, when you try to play it again on XBLA.

Playing Sonic Adventure on xbla this weekend and its still awesome, sure it has its flaws but back then it was amazing and it is still the best 3D sonic to date.

Oh and the Chao :wub:

Here's one for you - I wonder if there's something interesting in taking game console launch titles, and seeing how they compare to games across that console's lifespan. For example, the 360's launch lineup wasn't bad, but all of those titles were surpassed by later ones. Conversely, if you take the N64, some of it's earliest titles ended up being the best available for the machine's entire lifespan.

Playing Sonic Adventure on xbla this weekend and its still awesome, sure it has its flaws but back then it was amazing and it is still the best 3D sonic to date.

Oh and the Chao :wub:

I'm glad you got so much of enjoyment out of it. I'm still annoyed though that the Dreamcast version is superior; the Xbox version is a conversion of the PC one that has a lower draw distance and poorer shaders. In like-for-like screenshots you can see a huge difference.

EDIT: I managed to find this, from way back:

sadventure1.jpg

The original Gameboy was pretty special.

There are one of two tunes you should be humming about now :D

250px-Tetris_Boxshot.jpgSML.jpg

Did you know Goaty that Tetris wasn't a launch game for the Game Boy in Japan? They had Super Mario Land, Alleyway and Baseball. Not quite the same without the tetromino-dropping wonder really. :(

I didn't buy many consoles at launch (only the GBA, 360, Wii, 3DS and Vita come to think of it). Out of those I'd say the 360 had the best launch and the GBA the worst. Looking at the games of other systems the Playstation was probably best, with the Nintendo 64 real close. I guess the GBA is still the worst, unless you count in failed formats like N-Gage and CD32.

360 and PS3 were pretty weak, lists here: http://en.wikipedia....0_launch#Titles, http://en.wikipedia....L_launch_titles

The only thing worth still playing on there is Condemned, really.

Geometry Wars was...nearly....very nearly worth buying a 360 for by itself.

...Was what I mostly played the first 6 months.

Actually, I really liked it at the time. In retrospect it was a bit ropey, but it was high-res, 60fps, had real-time cutscenes, a pretty awesome J-cheese intro... Certainly before you got to play it, you'd be excused for thinking it was going to be really, really good - plus for Sega fans, the diehards from the Megadrive and Saturn days - we'd went a whole console life cycle without getting a proper 3D Sonic game.

Amen. Mind was blown as it was everything I could have ever wished for. :3

I'm not sure how many of the titles were there for launch, but the Dreamcast selection kept growing like mad in quality over a very short space of time. Amazing stuff.

The DC's Japanese launch in November 1998 wasn't that great (Virtua Fighter 3tb, D2, July, Godzilla Generations, Pen-Pen Tri-ice-lon).

But by the time it launched in the US and Europe nearly a year later, it had built up a decent list of titles that either came out along with the console, or within a few months of its release: Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Sega Rally 2, Marvel vs Capcom, Hydro Thunder, Power Stone, House of the Dead 2, Sega Bass Fishing, TrickStyle and NBA 2K.

I agree with you: one of the most remarkable things about the Dreamcast is how quickly it built up its library of well-regarded exclusives. There was just over two years between the DC's Japanese launch and the announcement that Sega would stop hardware production and port its games to other consoles, and within that time we had Ecco the Dolphin, Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online, Metropolis Street Racer, Virtua Tennis, Chu-Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Virtual-On OT, and Jet Set Radio. :wub:

My fondest memory of the Dreamcast (and I'm in danger of sounding like Clippa here) is that all the games I saw in the launch window were 60fps - Shutoku Battle, Soul Calibur, VF3TB, Sonic Adventure, Sega Rally (even though its framerate was a little inconsistent)... I finally thought we were going to have 60fps as a standard. How wrong I was. :(

I think you're getting FPS mixed up with Hz. Most games had 60hz modes but very few were 60fps. Sonic Adventure was 30 (SA2 was 60fps and you instantly notice the difference), Sega Rally could only do 60fps with a cheat code that removed all the trackside graphics, shutoku battle may have been 60fps. Just having 60hz mode was lovely though.

The PS2 lineup totally underwhelmed me, then a friend got one and I played SSX, which blew my tiny mind. The graphics, physics and style melted my fucking eyes. But yeah, overall not so great.

You only need three good games to have one of the best launches ever, most have two if they're lucky.

So...

Top Ten Console Launches:

2 Good Games:

#10: PlayStation 2

SSX

Tekken Tag Tournament

#9: PlayStation

Ridge Racer

Wipeout

#8: Nintendo Entertainment System

Excitebike

Super Mario Bros.

#7: Game Boy

Tetris

Super Mario Land

#6: Nintendo 64

Pilotwings 64

Super Mario 64

3 Good Games:

#5: Sega Dreamcast

Power Stone

Sonic Adventure

Virtua Fighter 3tb

#4: SNES

Super Mario World

F-Zero

Pilotwings

5 Good Games:

#3: PlayStation Vita

Wipeout 2048

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Everybody's Golf: World Invitational

Rayman Origins

MotorStorm: RC

#2: Microsoft Xbox

Halo: Combat Evolved

Dead or Alive 3

Project Gotham Racing

Jet Set Radio Future

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X/3

WINNER: 6 Good Games:

#1: Nintendo GameCube

Burnout

Crazy Taxi

Luigi's Mansion

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader

Super Monkey Ball

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

That is a very flawed system!

The Snes's 3 absolute stone cold all time classics are NOT part of a worse launch than the vitas five pretty good games.

The thing is most consoles before the current gen where released in he USA or Japan months- if not years before us. THis allowed us to generally not be starved for decent games for a while - which was a issue this gen.

THe N64 with Mario 64 was pretty great - that game alone kept me entertained for a month or two. Even speed runs and glitches were fun to me with that game .

Before then I had never got a new console a launch - but thankfully there was a huge wealth of good games when I did buy them.

Today , games are so throwaway and plentiful that's find I difficult to be enthusiastic about new releases.

I am considering a wii u , but Ive bought every nintendo console/handheld since the N64 days and by the time I do play a game I really want - the machine is considerably cheaper. I think for once I might wait..

I think most consoles struggle to live up to the pre-release buzz come the release, which is why I no longer buy at launch.

My favourite launch day, or in fact the only one I really thought delivered in a big way was the Gamecube. Super Monkey Ball, Wave Race Blue Storm, Luigi's Mansion and Star Wars Rogue Squadron II really blew me away in terms of delivering what I wanted from a console.

The worst PS2. Although even that did have the mighty SSX, which I played until I sold the PS2 many many years later.

The N64 had Mario 64. Mario fucking 64. The most amazing game ever released at the time, and one which used the new analogue stick perfectly! Pilot Wings 64 was chuffing fantastic and looked utterly beautiful for its era. And about a week after launch came Turok and then ISS64. Turok hasn't aged well, and nor really has ISS64, but at the time they were the very pinnacle of their respective genres.

Maybe if you count all the 'good' games, other consoles shine, but if you count landmark titles which couldn't be played anywhere else, the N64 wins handsdown.

No chance. The machine was overpriced and pissed off early adopters with massive price slash. Games were absurdly expensive, Memory paks impossible to find for the first month. Games were old school 50hz bordered conversions, the machine couldnt output RGB. Mario was good for fans (not me, I bought it on import with Turok and Wave Race)..and the machine was pretty much starved until Mario Kart and Starfox. The other launch titles were shite too, with the worst version of Mortal Kombat ever, and stuff like MK Mythologies coming shortly after.

tl;dr, Mario 64 doesnt make a launch the best.

50hz Ridge Racer 5, Onimusha, Dynasty warriors, and green screen RGB DVD playback. Contender for biggest let down launch ever, not counting the absurd stuff like Gizmondo.

The N64 had Mario 64. Mario fucking 64. The most amazing game ever released at the time, and one which used the new analogue stick perfectly! Pilot Wings 64 was chuffing fantastic and looked utterly beautiful for its era. And about a week after launch came Turok and then ISS64. Turok hasn't aged well, and nor really has ISS64, but at the time they were the very pinnacle of their respective genres.

Maybe if you count all the 'good' games, other consoles shine, but if you count landmark titles which couldn't be played anywhere else, the N64 wins handsdown.

Contrary to this, the N64 is the only console/handheld that I've bought and sold, then re-bought later on, due to the abject software line-up in its first few months of its existence. I purchased the console with Mario, but I knew one other person who owned an N64 at launch. They bought pretty much all the launch games, so I got to experience them

Mario 64 was worth the price of admission, but it was the only great launch game. The N64 was hampered more than any other console with the shonky PAL versions, due to the generally sluggish games and low frame rates. Waverace had no sensation of speed, and held up very poorly against the raft of nippy Playstation racers that were available at the time. I had the same issues with ISS64 finding it like running through treacle when compared to ISS Deluxe or ISS Pro. Both of which were better games anyway.

Torak has always been utter shit. I didn't even have the mental hurdle of the £70 price of the game in my mind when playing it, as I borrowed it. The only way you could say it was at the "very pinnacle of their respective genres", was if its genre was 'FPS game available at N64 launch'.

Once I'd 120 starred Mario 64, there were literally no other games that held my interest. So I flogged it, buying another (the GoldenEye bundle) in preparation for Zelda OoT. By then, its library had become more healthy, and by the end of its life, the N64 was home to a half dozen stone cold classics that still hold up today. But not at lunch, man. No way.

Here's one for you - I wonder if there's something interesting in taking game console launch titles, and seeing how they compare to games across that console's lifespan. For example, the 360's launch lineup wasn't bad, but all of those titles were surpassed by later ones. Conversely, if you take the N64, some of it's earliest titles ended up being the best available for the machine's entire lifespan.

Yeah, I find this element of the thread very interesting. Review scores of launch titles tend to be massively inflated for two reasons:

1. Usually nobody's sure of the capabilities of the machine, so comparisons are made to previous gen tech and are obviously favourable.

2. To drum up interest in the machine/justify early adopters' purchases/placate the platform holders. In short, hype.

A large number of the titles listed in Broker's long post on page 1 are very clear victims of this.

Rogue Leader looked lovely but the game was stuck together with spit and sellotape. JSRF was OK, but clearly a rushed out DC port. PGR3 was a literally unfinished, crashprone beta. Luigi's Mansion... is actually awesome, but a £40 RRP was pushing it a bit.

The PS1 and N64 were probably the last home consoles where tons of quality stuff was ready at or near launch.

I spent a £1200 student loan on a release day PS2 and some games... which were all complete and utter shite.

Makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

:facepalm:

£1200?! How much was the PS2 at launch?

I bought one after it had been out for almost a year, then had to wait as long before any decent games came out. During that time, I played the DC more.

50hz Ridge Racer 5, Onimusha, Dynasty warriors, and green screen RGB DVD playback. Contender for biggest let down launch ever, not counting the absurd stuff like Gizmondo.

My first impressions of the PS2 were in comparing it to my beloved DC. The only launch game that did something that I felt was beyond the DC was the draw distance on in SSX. And only just.

SPE: “Hey, give me one of those famous PS2s I heard so much about.”

Dreamcast: “Something wrong, SPE?”

SPE: “No, the draw distance is pretty big, I guess.”

I worked in Game when it came out. Eventually bought one but had to use a datel disc to enable RGB dvd playback...the 50hz games were horrible..the machine was a joke really until GTA 3 suddenly validated the whole thing..a pure fluke for Sony getting that game.

Except Mario Kart wasn't there at launch. It was that rubbish Star Wars game. N64 was a mess of a launch which had everything pinned on Mario 64, as your memory seems to attest to ;)

And, indeed, neither was Waverace. Launch games for the N64 were Turok, Mario 64, Pilotwings 64 and Shadows of the Empire.

This is likely to be an opinion shared by few, but I think the PSP had an excellent launch selection, in Japan at least, which is where I got mine. Minna no Golf, Lumines and Ridge Racers are still great.

I worked in Game when it came out. Eventually bought one but had to use a datel disc to enable RGB dvd playback...the 50hz games were horrible..the machine was a joke really until GTA 3 suddenly validated the whole thing..a pure fluke for Sony getting that game.

I tend to think of Devil May Cry as the PS2's first unmissable title.

The Gamecube was the best console launch for me. It was the first console I bought on launch with my own money; queued up at GAME to pick it up at midnight, with Wave Race, Rogue Squadron and Super Monkey Ball (think I went and got Luigi's Mansion later, or borrowed it?). It was amazing, I'd got an RGB cable too, so everything looked absolutely immense.

The worst that I can really remember is probably the DS - there was Zookeeper (brilliant, but basically a flash game), Polarium, and Yoshi Touch 'n Go, then pretty much just a load of shovelware.

I don't think Mario Kart 64 was a launch game.

Neither was waverace.

The N64 easily wins, mate of mine had it on JP launch with pilot wings and i can't think of a time before or since that compares to those two games let alone the pad and the gfx - it was mind blowing. When wave race came out a few weeks later it was mind blowing all over again.

I ended up with one on american launch and its still by a long shot the best launch window console!

My favourite is easily the PAL SNES launch. Super Mario World, Pilot Wings, Super Tennis, Super R-Type, followed shortly after by A Link To The Past, Street Fighter 2, Smash TV, Final Fight and countless other goodies,