Games that gained content when re-released on budget

Dandy_Sephy

I was just sorting through some PS1 games when I got to a Platinum copy of V-Rally. On the cover in the corner of the artwork is a boxout declaring "Exclusive Platinum Features", going on to list an extra car and Dual Shock support.

This got me thinking about other games that received extra content when reissued in budget form. I don't mean including previously released content as a bundle, which was quite common on pc games for example. I'm interested in what original extras were included specifically for the budget version that were not available before then.

I'm drawing blanks when trying to think of others, but I'm sure some of you can think of some.

I know you said no PC games but here's one that's a bit different:

Half Life on PC had hi-def weapon skins when it was released as a budget title.

They weren't available separately.

Pc games are fine if the content is original. i.e. not simply bundling in the separately sold expansions

An obvious one is the PS2 Platinum release of Silent Hill 2 which was the Director's Cut version. IIRC the Director's Cut has already been released on PC and Xbox, but the Platinum release was the first time that PS2 owners could get that extra content.

Not sure if RE Director's Cut counts, as the bog standard RE had already been released on Platinum (although, as Asura says, the Director's Cut wasn't a fall price release).

I know you said no PC games but here's one that's a bit different:

Half Life on PC had hi-def weapon skins when it was released as a budget title.

They weren't available separately.

The high definition skins weren't an addition for HL's budget/GOTY re-releases - they first came with the standalone expansion Blue Shift.

Even in subsequent re-releases (like the Generation pack that contained HL/Op4/CS/BS), you still had to install Blue Shift to add them; they weren't automatically integrated into Half-Life.