Pro Cycling - Tour de France 2022

MalevolentPanda

14 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

And my earlier statement about the green Jersey, honestly I though they would make more of a race of it. Yeah that will be Wouts now then 😎

I think that is just how the Points Classification is nowadays - it's more for roulers/puncheurs (of which Wout is a level above the rest) than dedicated sprinters. Gone are the days when the first six or seven stages were pancake flat and always ended in a bunch sprint. Cavendish last year was the exception to the rule in many ways, as good as it was to see him pull it off.

Chapeau Jungels, was bold to go that early. Gotta love a long range attack.

As for the GC - do Jumbo and Ineos try something in the Alps, or wait for the Pyrenees?

I think as long as Pog keeps taking seconds at every finish, they need to attack the first chance they get. Or it's going to be too late by the Pyrenees. 

Also, I don't think UAE as a team would be much use playing catch up, they don't look that with it. Pog can still win without them of course, but it might be a bit closer. 

13 hours ago, donkeyk said:

I think that is just how the Points Classification is nowadays - it's more for roulers/puncheurs (of which Wout is a level above the rest) than dedicated sprinters. Gone are the days when the first six or seven stages were pancake flat and always ended in a bunch sprint. Cavendish last year was the exception to the rule in many ways, as good as it was to see him pull it off.

Sam Bennet won it in 2020 as well. It’s still arguably being won by a ‘sprinter’. I think WvA still has more points on the flat stages than any other sprinter. And when Sagan was just needing to turn up to win it he was also winning sprints. The only difference is that Sagan and WvA make it look so easy because they also take points elsewhere so it’s not a competition.

They tried to change it to have more points on specific sprint stages, but what can you do if WvA can win them too.

Well well well. Quite spectacular from Vingegaard! Great rides from bardet and Gaudu from a french perspective. G up there as well looking good.

Didn’t expect it early on the climb when the JV riders all dropped away so quickly. Pogacar still having Majka with him looked like he was in the driving seat, however as with last year it looks like the really high altitude climbs might be his kryptonite.

59 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I don't think sky ever had a day like that. Just amazing riding from JV. And Pog almost had it covered. 

Maybe not in the Tour as they never needed to, but the day Froome essentially won the giro was a masterstroke of tactics, that eclipses today I would say.

Ultimately it shows what by far and away the strongest team in the race can do if their chosen rider is on a good day. And ultimately that’s what it comes down to, Vingegaard was on a great day and it paid off. How many times do we see teams try to do something like today and ultimately their leader falls short. I was convinced (as I alluded to up thread) that it was going to come to nothing for JV as all their riders dropped off so early on the final climb, but Pog still had Micha with him (and Ineos had three riders, as did FDJ)

What a day. Pog made to look human, which with his form is no mean feat.

Having said that, it’s taken Jumbo having a significant advantage in numbers to achieve, and as the man said himself - he lost 3 minutes today, I wouldn’t bet against him making up 3 minutes on L’alpe D’Huez tomorrow.

If tomorrow is half as good as today….

He won by 5 mins last year so obviously has the ability to overturn the deficit. However JV are pretty much full strength this year as opposed to the shell of a team they were last year and Vingegaard has gone in as a leader so in the right form and mindset, whereas last year it all accidentally fell on his shoulders.

The thing Pog has to be grateful about is after the initial climb of the Galibier today they don’t go near 2,000ms again.

Been really impressed with Bardet, his form this year is possibly the best it’s ever been. I’d love to see him take the stage today. However he is going to need to keep gaining time in the mountains if he wants to get on the podium because G is likely to take minutes out of him on the final TT.

It’s going to be a very exciting race!

11 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

He won by 5 mins last year so obviously has the ability to overturn the deficit. However JV are pretty much full strength this year as opposed to the shell of a team they were last year and Vingegaard has gone in as a leader so in the right form and mindset, whereas last year it all accidentally fell on his shoulders.

The thing Pog has to be grateful about is after the initial climb of the Galibier today they don’t go near 2,000ms again.

That is true - this is the stiffest test he has yet faced. I guess Pog will hope that yesterday was his one 'bad day' - everyone usually has at least one every tour, winner or not. Lets see how JV deals with his, if and when it comes - although as mentioned, he has the team to help limit any losses.

4 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Been really impressed with Bardet, his form this year is possibly the best it’s ever been. I’d love to see him take the stage today. However he is going to need to keep gaining time in the mountains if he wants to get on the podium because G is likely to take minutes out of him on the final TT.

It’s going to be a very exciting race!

Yeah I think there are several riders looking strong - Quintana looked good yesterday also, in with a shout for a podium spot. In fact all the way down to Gaudu in 7th, any of them I could easily see getting on the podium. G probably is the most likely, given he can TT and looks like he's got enough form to not lose time on the climbs.

While the yellow might only be a two horse race, there is going to be lots of exciting racing over the next week. Interesting to see how the KoM shapes up - Barguil looks frisky.

my other half has walked in the last couple of days when the stage has just finished and Eurosport have cut back to their studio

she isn't buying I'm watching cycling and thinks it's one of those mucky phone line channels where the girls wave phones at the screen

whoever that Irish lady is she's definitely pushing the fashion stakes further than Gary Imlach or Ned Boulton.

The start of this stage has been completely crazy!

Orla Chennaoui was indeed a former triple jumper, been the lead presenter on eurosport cycling for a few years now having come over from Sky sports. She’s really great, even if she and Adam Blythe seem to compete on who can wear the strangest outfit.

Couple of positives for covid over the rest day, although it hasn't been confirmed who they are or whether (like Majka and Jungels) they will be able to continue.

It's slightly cooler for the riders with a max of 31 on the course today. I mean that is still ludicrous as there are two cat 1 climbs at the end of the stage. Could be an interesting one as the final 30 odd kilometers are all down hill. Possible opportunity for Pog to try to get a gap going over the final climb and use his descending skills to pull away, would probably depend on how many JV riders are left. I think most likely it'll just be a hard pace all day with the real hostilities saved for the next two days with their summit finishes, particularly Friday with the finish being an HC up to Hautacam.

Having said all that, pretty much every predicition I have made (bar WvA walking the green jersey) has been completely wrong, so expect this to be a dust up for the ages!

It's a bit late really but are there any decent live audio commentaries out there?

I have GCN+, after accidently letting the promo auto renew,  but cannot stand the two lead commentators which means I'm watching much, much less of the racing than I would normally. Carlton Kirby's inane muttering, laughing at his own humour, and ludicrous hysteria are almost tolerable but I just have to turn off completely once Rob Hatch takes over as he is unbearable. IIRC I did find an online audio stream somewhere last year but it was 4 or 5 minutes behind the live images so wasn't that great.

Good Tour so far though!

I've never found any. Other than the ITV coverage, there's race radio you can listen to on the TdF website. But its mostly in French for obvious reasons and tends to be short and garbled

Race radio

you do need to sign up to the VIP bit of the website. but its just about giving them you details rather than money