Pro Cycling - Tour de France 2022

MalevolentPanda

2 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I've never found any. Other than the ITV coverage, there's race radio you can listen to on the TdF website. But its mostly in French for obvious reasons and tends to be short and garbled

Race radio

you do need to sign up to the VIP bit of the website. but its just about giving them you details rather than money

Yeah, it's a bit frustrating as the commentators* actively degrade my enjoyment.

I mostly use the ambient sound these days but have tried that race radio which I did enjoy despite my French being nowhere near good enough. Even auto subtitles would be an improvement.

*bar the ex pros who are mostly excellent, especially McEwen and, of course, Kelly. 

It's a case of Carlton Kirby inane chatter on Eurosport or being bombarded with cremation plans on ITV. 

I really like Boulting and Miller on ITV and their podcast "never strays car", So I'll just about put up with the death day adverts. Kirby just does my head in whoever else he's with . 

50 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

It's a case of Carlton Kirby inane chatter on Eurosport or being bombarded with cremation plans on ITV. 

I really like Boulting and Miller on ITV and their podcast "never strays car", So I'll just about put up with the death day adverts. Kirby just does my head in whoever else he's with . 

Yeah, Boulting is great although I find Millar to be a bit dull and not hugely insightful. Kirby and Hatch though just need to STFU and leave it to the ex pros.

I have it on the ipad besides my PC screen so don't think ITV is an option and, to be fair, the number of ad breaks they run is chronic.

Can anyone recommend any decent behind-the-scenes / "how it's made" type films about how they actually capture the action for the TV? 

I'm a total noob but one of my cycling friends sent me a link to Pidcock's massive descent the other day. I'd have sworn it was filmed from a drone but is it actually a camera operator on a motorbike or something? 

8 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Can anyone recommend any decent behind-the-scenes / "how it's made" type films about how they actually capture the action for the TV? 

I'm a total noob but one of my cycling friends sent me a link to Pidcock's massive descent the other day. I'd have sworn it was filmed from a drone but is it actually a camera operator on a motorbike or something? 

Almost certainly one of these guys

image.png.5cb306c8b925e4c7c20b02443708dbb2.png

Pog’s last real chance to wrestle back the yellow jersey today. Vingegaard has been able to stick to him like glue the whole tour even when his whole team disintegrated around him yesterday. But it will only take a bad day today, or a mechanical at the wrong time for the race to flip. Afterall Carapaz looked nailed on for the Giro after he and Hindley had been stuck to each other the whole race, and that all came crashing down on the final mountain.

I’m not sure how much time Pog needs back considering there is a 40km timetrial to come. I think Pog would take time on Jonas but the only comparable TT distance was last year when Pog was minutes ahead and raced with the intent of making it round as opposed to leaving it all on the road. I think he could take a minute off Vingegaard if it everything was even , however if he is racing in yellow (ignoring Roglic’s capitulation) you would imagine Jonas could reduce that. 

Anyway if he wants to win the tour I think Pog needs to take at least a minute and a half today.

The cycling coverage has really come on leaps and bounds as the image stabilisation tech has improved, with multi axis gimbals smoothing everything out from Heli/Drone shots and electronic stabilisation is the handheld cams. The old shaky cams back in the 80s used to be much harder on the eyes.

Image transmission is so much better now in wooded or mountain areas too, you used to constantly lose the picture from the more exciting cams.

They mentioned on Eurosport comms the other day how the first half of stages used to be much slower as the riders only picked things up when the helicopters moved in later on and they knew were being shown, now the coverage is blanket from the depart stages rarely have nothing going on.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

They mentioned on Eurosport comms the other day how the first half of stages used to be much slower as the riders only picked things up when the helicopters moved in later on and they knew were being shown, now the coverage is blanket from the depart stages rarely have nothing going on.

Someone didn’t watch this years Giro 😉

Well JV have had easily the best two riders in the race. Vingegaard obviously but WvA has been unbelievable.

Been the best Grand Tour in recent memory (despite not having finished yet). Usually while I love the tour it’s the more controlled sometimes boring GT with the Giro and the Vuelta providing more excitement. But this years Giro had some incredibly dull stages, whereas this tour has been incredible racing everyday. And that was without the crosswinds turning up in Denmark.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Utter respect to Jonas. Love that Pog thanked him as well. Such respect between the two of them.

Yeah, that was an amazing moment. 

What a pair of riders they are but van Aert has been simply incredible. 

It's always a funny one, you get these comments about how a rider is going to dominate for years. We had it with Bernal when he won, he was going to dominate GTs for the next 10 years, he then has a back problem, then comes back and takes a Giro and then has that awful crash. The fact that he can even ride a bike again, let alone is going to be racing by the end of the year is simply incredible. Then when Pog won, it was going to be him to dominate for the next 10 years, and now he has been pretty well and truly beaten (caveat of course that the race hasn't finished yet, but even if Jonas was to fall off now/catch COVID the point is that Pog is obviously beatable). It's just not worth thinking that a rider will dominate when the racing is so topsy turvey. Of course having said that no one is going to take the green from WvA for the next.... erm 5 years!

I wonder how Roglic is feeling, he's been targetting this for so many years, and the one year he had no bad luck he fell at the final hurdle, now you have to say he has dropped down the pecking order and Jonas is the main GC rider at JV now especially considering that Roglic is 7 years older than Jonas.

I'm also wondering if having not won the tour this year Pog will target the Vuelta and spoil Rog's party there.

2 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

It's always a funny one, you get these comments about how a rider is going to dominate for years. We had it with Bernal when he won, he was going to dominate GTs for the next 10 years, he then has a back problem, then comes back and takes a Giro and then has that awful crash. The fact that he can even ride a bike again, let alone is going to be racing by the end of the year is simply incredible. Then when Pog won, it was going to be him to dominate for the next 10 years, and now he has been pretty well and truly beaten (caveat of course that the race hasn't finished yet, but even if Jonas was to fall off now/catch COVID the point is that Pog is obviously beatable). It's just not worth thinking that a rider will dominate when the racing is so topsy turvey. Of course having said that no one is going to take the green from WvA for the next.... erm 5 years!

I wonder how Roglic is feeling, he's been targetting this for so many years, and the one year he had no bad luck he fell at the final hurdle, now you have to say he has dropped down the pecking order and Jonas is the main GC rider at JV now especially considering that Roglic is 7 years older than Jonas.

I'm also wondering if having not won the tour this year Pog will target the Vuelta and spoil Rog's party there.

Yeah, it's funny how things turn around.

I fully expected Pogacar to win this years Tour, and by some margin, but it has been so much better for us neutrals to have two closely matched riders fighting it out to the end and with the big mountain days delivering so much drama this year.  Got to feel for Roglic as he must be starting to think that his chance of winning the Tour has passed. 

Been a really great tour for Thomas too and Pidcock must surely have a GT win or two in the coming years.

I like this photo of the two of them affirming the respect they have for each other after such a brutal day.

BC846DC6-72B8-47B6-AC22-B4AECE52B94E.thumb.jpeg.2286788a36fe08cda52a3fa833c9786c.jpeg

I was pretty neutral, if not cold, towards Pogacar until this years race but seeing him crack in the Alps and then fight so hard right till the end has shown another side to him that it is impossible not to be impressed by. He seems pretty humble too.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

I was pretty neutral, if not cold, towards Pogacar until this years race 

I've been a big fan of Pogacar since he burst onto the scene at the Vuelta in 2019. He typifies to me what a lot of the younger riders are bringing to cycling which just appears to be a love of being on the bike and racing. You just watch him out there putting his heart and soul into every race he is in and you just see someone who appears to be loving being on a bike. VdP, WvA and Pidcock are like it as well. All of them insist on being able to do what they like, being able to do cyclocross and also mountain biking in Pidcock and VdP's case. I think WvA is becoming a bit more 'mature' as he's getting older but the love is still there. Alaphillipe is obviously another, although without the cross discipline interest. Evenepole is also there as that type of rider (although I dislike him immensly), someone who just wants to race and animates when ever he can just because it's fun. It's interesting to note how VdP has 'suddenly' become a good TT rider, and it's all because he has been in TTs that matter, whether it's to keep the yellow jersey or to try and gain the pink. Previously you just got the impression he couldn't care less because he couldn't see that he was smashing his opposition, and there was no flair in it. I do wonder how much of that is down to Sagan, these are riders who were in their formative years when he came onto the scene and was wheeling across the line at the end of classics and just generally ripping up the rule book.

The other thing is watching GC riders going for classics/monuments, that just didn't happen from about 2000 (bar Andy Schleck at LBL and Wiggins one attempt at PR), but now you have the likes of Roglic and Pogacar who not only turn up but are really amongst the favourites.

Another point of note, towards the 'new' cycling that we are seeing is for the third time in as many years the Polka Dot jersey is going to be won by the Overall winner. In all the years prior it had only ever been done 10 times before, with 8 of those occuring before 1971. Eddie Merckx in 1969* and 1970 was the last time it was won by the GC winner two years in succession. Since then it was won in the weird 2008 tour by Carlos Sastre and then by Froome in 2015. So we are seeing a very unprecedented set of results. Long gone seem to be the days of the peleton sitting up most days and letting the break have 15 mins, well at least in the Tour.

*Merckx also won the points jersey that year.

57 minutes ago, Graham S said:

What's your grudge against Remco Evenepoel?

I just think he acts like a spoilt little brat. Now that might just be down to how the media portrays him, but the whole thing with him and WvA after the World Champs really soured my view of him. Unlike Pog as an example, he just doesn't seem to have any respect for his fellow riders.

I'm not really sure it's rational, I think it's always nice to have a pantomime villain and Remco is filling that role nicely for me at the moment.

Another interesting(?) stat, assuming he does win the White jersey again this year Pog will join Jan Ullrich and Andy Schleck in having won that classification 3 times* (they have all won them in a row, probably unsurpisingly) and will have the opportunity to set a record with 4 as he will still qualify as a youth rider next year.

Vingegaard taking the overall this year also breaks the run of three years where the white jersey winner has also won the overall, however he is only 22 days too old to qualify for the competition. (You have to be less than 26 on 1 Jan of the following year, Jonas is currently 25 but his birthday is the 10 of Decemeber).

*Caveat, the white jersey for young rider, as opposed to the previous incarnation as the combination jersey, only started in 1975, I haven't checked to see if historically people would have done this if the classification existed.

Chapeau Jonas, but my goodness he was only centimetres away from throwing it all away! I think had he not done that he could have well taken the stage as he obviously sat up a bit. Again though once he knew WvA had it I don’t think he was that inclined to beat him. Basically amazing display from WvA as expected but G, Pog and Jonas rode out of their skins.

Was watching that Jonas descent live, and as his back wheel started to skip entering that left-hander my heart joined it, felt for sure he was going down. A very lucky chap.

Glad WvA got another stage, he’s easily been rider of the Tour for me. Astonishing performance across 20 stages. Dude, and all of Jumbo tbf, has earned a glass of champers on the run in.

Amazing Tour though. One of the best in recent memory. Let’s hope for a perfectly set up sprint to finish it off.

And FFS let’s have Cav back next year, eh?

I'm not sure Cav would have been that great this year. Quickstep haven't been too great and I appreciate that Cav binds a team like no other. 

But there has been a lot of climbing this tour and very little sprinting. WvA has a record number of green points, and has been immense all tour. 

Yes he only needed the one win for the record and given his form this year I'm sure he'd have got it, but would you have brought Cav to the tour just for that one win. This was a climbers tour really. 

2 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Would you have brought Cav to the tour just for that one win.

Well, yes. Obvs. He’d earned the right. The PR of having the record would have also been good for the team.

I am of course, a Cav fan, and not a cold-blooded team manager.

But if he'd come and had a tour like Celeb has, everyone would have questioned the decision. WvA was always going to take the green, the sprinters are basically picking up the scraps, after the climbs have spanked the sprinters and the lead out trains. Laporte winning stage 19 tells you all you need to know really.  

I love Cav, i think he's an amazing sprinter and unstoppable when he's on form. But this wasn't the tour for him to shine at. He would have struggled over the climbs like normal and got frustrated and done something rash to make something happen.

And Morkov was clearly struggling after the Giro, the whole lead out train has struggled. Maybe cav could have given them the focus they lack and whipped them into a team, but I'm not sure there were enough sprint stages for that to happen. 

Jakobsen will go and win the sprint in paris now :lol:

6 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

…Quickstep haven't been too great…

Two stage wins and a day in yellow jersey would be considered an incredible return for most teams. But I agree it seems like they haven’t really done much.

As has been suggested though it hasn’t been a tour for the sprinters and I agree that there would have been slim pickings for Cav. Even the stage that Laporte took was the least sprinters ‘sprint’ stage I think we’ve seen, a 700m final drag with a 5% kick is not what I would call a traditional sprint stage.

If the rumours are true we should see Cav back next year as supposedly B&B hotels have a big new sponsor in Carrefour coming in and want Cav.

As an aside and because his name has been mentioned am I the only one that feels Caleb Ewan is the most over rated sprinter in the sport?