rllmuk
gospvg

Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

I finished The Clone Wars the other day, I’d watched the first 5 seasons years ago so I started with the last few episodes of season 5 to get back into it & remind me how certain things played out.  While I’m not a fan of the prequels I liked that the last two seasons started to tie more elements into them, season 7 runs alongside Ep3.  

Season 7 has definitely benefited from a leap in tech, some of the camera moves & compositions they use are quite something.

The final two episodes are just great, some of their best.  The music is fantastic, there’s a 5 minute sequence in the second last episode with next to no dialog just slowing following what’s going on with the most un-Star Wars music - ominous, synthy, electronic, but so very appropriate.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else listening to Duel of the Fates podcast? It’s a dramatisation of the leaked Colin Trevorrow script for Episode IX.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/duel-of-the-fates/id1509836398

As Star Wars lore is now a pick’n’mix of take what you like and forget the rest, I’ll have this over RoS any day.

You can also download the script here:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a30882356/full-star-wars-9-original-duel-of-fates-script-colin-trevorrow/

It’s so much better than RoS. I mean, it’s coherent and has a beginning, middle and end for a start.

The only bit they might have struggled with is

Spoiler

Romance between Poe and Rey as there didn’t seem to be any chemistry...

But...

Spoiler

Rose and Finn works well. She gave Finn a purpose to be there, and Finn’s arc is way better overall. Same with Kylo.

But my favourite character change is...

Spoiler

The way they use the Knights of Ren.

So many great outfits and spaceships we’ll never see. :(

9 hours ago, womblingfree said:

As a noob, is it possible to just skip straight to season 7?

I did, or rather I just skipped to the final four eps of season 7, enjoyed them and feel no need to go back and watch the rest. Ahsoka and Rex's stories were picked up by basic cultural osmosis, it's easy to fill in the blanks and likewise, it's common knowledge at this point that Maul survived the fight on Naboo.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Bag said:

The final two episodes are just great, some of their best.  The music is fantastic, there’s a 5 minute sequence in the second last episode with next to no dialog just slowing following what’s going on with the most un-Star Wars music - ominous, synthy, electronic, but so very appropriate.

Yeah, the whole arc of the last 3 episodes is beyond excellent, and that bit you described there with the music is just amazing. I was stunned by how good it was after bingeing the entirety of Clone Wars simply because I had nothing better to do and fancied some new (to me) Star Wars. I rewatched the last 3 episodes again the very next day. 

• Upvote 1

I must say, I don’t think I’d have quite got the same level of enjoyment from final series had I not invested so much time in watching the earlier ones, but it is admittedly a massive undertaking and there is a lot of filler, no doubt. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

I must say, I don’t think I’d have quite got the same level of enjoyment from final series had I not invested so much time in watching the earlier ones, but it is admittedly a massive undertaking and there is a lot of filler, no doubt. 

Yeah, I watched the whole thing straight through over the course of the first 3 weeks or so D+ was out. Worth the time if you have it, and makes *that* Rebels episode even more poignant if you’ve followed Ahsoka and Anakin all the way through Clone Wars.

• Upvote 2

Alright my fellow Star Wars fans.

Next update in the retcon of the sequel trilogy. Again, don't shoot the messenger! Crank it up to 2x play speed because it's all chat.

He makes some interesting points, and has historic credibility, so probably shouldn't be completely dismissed as "fan fic". The cynic in me does think though...any youtuber that discusses "rumours, with a pinch of salt" has a literal get out clause for anything he says. So take it with a pinch of salt ^_^

• Upvote 1

Ok, pinch of salt taken, surely this would just alienate the other half of the fanbase that liked TLJ etc. I don’t see how they could come out ahead by pissing off a whole new group, even if they did get the anti-TLJ group back on message. Bottom line is, regardless of whether you’re a fan of the sequel trilogy, they made a lot of mistakes on the way to getting the three films onscreen. Best to just move on, do something totally away from the Skywalker saga, actually come up with a coherent story that spans however many films you’re planning to make, and get everyone back onside.

• Upvote 5

Yeah, that rumour is some bullshit. Well, it might be true that Filoni and Favreau have pitched the idea. But that Disney would run with it? No chance. 

Disney won't be happy with 'only' a billion dollar take for RoS, but for a trilogy that ran off the rails due to poor planning and general over-saturation, they'll take it.

And they'll realise that ripping it all out of canon, then re-telling the Skywalker saga with only Luke remaining, Ford adamantly refusing to return, no Leia, the love/admiration Rey built up with a huge section of the public chucked out, no chance on God's green one of Adam Driver coming back, and it all based off of something Filoni did in a kids' cartoon*? No chance. 

Finally, whilst I'm on my high-horse ( :p ) that video is pretty nasty. He refrains from using the actual term 'Mary Sue' but skirts right up to it, and is parroting the butt-hurt manchild view that women shouldn't be the power, and that Luke should have taken on the whole First Order with a laser sword. Massiverolleyes.gif

*I love Rebels, just putting myself in the Mouse's shoes

• Upvote 3

No chance. Disney will more likely just put the sequel trilogy out to pasture and not really make mention of them again.

Like some embarrassing relative.

I've just finished a watch-through of all 9 main Star Wars movies with my son who's never seen any of them before and we both thoroughly enjoyed them. Been years since I saw most of them and I'd never seen either Revenge of the Sith or Rise of Skywalker.

We're both keen to move on to The Clone Wars but I see there are a couple of recommendations as to how to go about watching this. There's a chronological order on the official Star Wars site which seems to be widely approved of but is this really the way to go? I think it kicks off with an episode in series 3, then an episode in series 2, then a movie, before winding back to the beginning. Is this going to make sense or is it more for people who've seen it before? Is it best just to start with S1E1 and work from there?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Is it the CGI one that you’re discussing?

Yeah, The Clone Wars animated series @Eighthours. Didn’t feel the need to skip about, it ran fine in series order.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Yeah, The Clone Wars animated series @Eighthours. Didn’t feel the need to skip about, it ran fine in series order.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if you meant that or the 2D one from a few years earlier.

• Upvote 1

Bonus content, I'm sure of it. The version of ANH that's on Disney+ (and the new UHD set) is, Maclunkey aside, largely the same as the one on the Blu-ray set from a few years back.

When did Star Wars 1 become ANH by the way? Pretty sure it wasn't when I first watched it as a tiny child. Then when I re-watched it a few years later I remember being surprised that it had become Episode 4 according to the opening crawl. 

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

When did Star Wars 1 become ANH by the way? Pretty sure it wasn't when I first watched it as a tiny child. Then when I re-watched it a few years later I remember being surprised that it had become Episode 4 according to the opening crawl. 

1981 rerelease

i thought it was 1980 to coincide with TESB

[edit] the 1981 rerelease is the version later released on video, at a cost of £89.99.

• Upvote 2

The Duel of the Fates podcast finished last week with a pretty glorious ending. So sad that’s not the story and ending we got, or that at least some elements of it. 

Has anyone else read the script or listened to the podcast? It’s the first Star Wars movie (albeit in script form only) I’ve had no one to talk to about. It logically (for Star Wars) expands on the original trilogy, as well as being a true sequel to TLJ and running with the ways that movie tried to broaden the universe.

• Upvote 1