Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

gospvg

• 2 weeks later...

After trying and failing to make it through Episode 1, Season 1 of Clone Wars several times I tried Episode 2, and fuck me if I didn’t really enjoy it. On episode 10 now.

The animation looks much better in space than it did on whatever PSOne mushroom planet they were on before. Still looks cheap in places but liking the space battles and character designs on the whole.

Still hate Battle Droids, non-Alec Guinness Obi Wan and a lot of the now doubled-down shite Prequel lore with a passion. But Clone Wars Anakin is infinitely better than Prequel Anakin, the stories are better and it’s all rather fun.

I wonder if it’s possible to simply skip the Prequels altogether and just use this as an introduction of Prequel era canon to kids?

My boy and I are watching the Clone Wars too, we're a few episodes ahead of you and we're both absolutely loving it.

We're watching it using the chronological order guide from the official Star Wars site and it really helps, there are a few episodes there that would have been really jarring if seen in release order as some sort of unheralded flashback but in the order they've given it's pretty much perfect. Did you watch the movie before you started the series?

Anakin's a million times better, Ahsoka is somehow a kid character that isn't actually annoying, and it's got a Jedi in it called Kit Fisto so really that's never going to be topped. I think it does a really good job of balancing the serious nature of the stories (it's not afraid to kill characters off) with the slapstick battle-droids-and-Jar-Jar comedy that appeals to the kids. I understand the animation gets revamped a couple of times during the run so it's only going to look better as it progresses (IMHO it's fine even at the beginning).

It's kind of cemented my opinion that - for all its problems, not least the colossal ineptitude of Hayden Christensen - the prequel trilogy was by far the most interesting part of the whole Star Wars saga. There's more room for actual proper stories here than at any other point in the sequence, and Clone Wars takes that and really runs with it.

I'm listening to the OG radio play version of the first film. Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels reprise their roles otherwise it's an entirely different cast, with Benjamin 'The' Sisko's dad as Vader, which is weird as fuck. Also, sacrilegious though it is to say it...I think I already prefer whoever this lady voicing Leia is, she's great.

I should also add that is got loads more going on in it. It starts with Luke listening wistfully to Imperial Academy promo tapes, hanging out with his mates before switching to Leia and Antiles on some other planet entirely before they go on to do a runner with the plans. It's certainly an interesting little curio...

3 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

I'm listening to the OG radio play version of the first film. Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels reprise their roles otherwise it's an entirely different cast, with Benjamin 'The' Sisko's dad as Vader, which is weird as fuck. Also, sacrilegious though it is to say it...I think I already prefer whoever this lady voicing Leia is, she's great.

I should also add that is got loads more going on in it. It starts with Luke listening wistfully to Imperial Academy promo tapes, hanging out with his mates before switching to Leia and Antiles on some other planet entirely before they go on to do a runner with the plans. It's certainly an interesting little curio...

That sounds interesting. Where might I find such a thing?

1 hour ago, Vespa Alex said:

That sounds interesting. Where might I find such a thing?

Reckon I could have done a better job as Obi-Wan, mind, and Han sounds dodgy to a hilarious degree.

Edit: WTF, the Jabba scene is after the Greedo one but it's not Jabba but instead another Jabba agent dude who sounds a bit like Michael Fassbender and who name drops Boba if he doesn't pay up. And Obi-Wan totally mind fucks the landspeeder buyer, and knows a shitload about wookiees - he has a conversation with Luke about the bowcaster and their cultural customs..! And now C-3P0 is lying through his teeth to people in Mos Eisley talking about a publicity campaign!

Edit: FUCKING HELL, a full blown torture scene! I'd imagine that'd scare the shit out of some poor kids back in the day...this is some weird shit.

13 hours ago, Nick R said:

This is a very persuasive argument:

The Phantom Menace is called that because Palpatine/Sidious is hidden in the background. We know who he is but everybody else is so stupid/self important that they can't see what's under their noses. If The Rise of Skywalker was called The Phantom Menace then he wouldn't be a phantom because he's staring out of the movie poster at you and appears in the first five minutes of the film!

My wife and I hadn't watched an old Star Wars film for a while.  Plumped for the ESB as it's the second best one.  Kind of got bored by the astroid chase.  Not not reflection on the film.  I think we've just seen it one too many times. :(

I am seriously tempted to go watch ESB at the cinema.  My desire to see it on the big screen again, is currently duelling (light sabre style) with my aversion to potentially catching a deadly virus while doing so.:wacko:

On 25/07/2020 at 20:56, Joystick Chevron said:

Reckon I could have done a better job as Obi-Wan, mind, and Han sounds dodgy to a hilarious degree.

Edit: WTF, the Jabba scene is after the Greedo one but it's not Jabba but instead another Jabba agent dude who sounds a bit like Michael Fassbender and who name drops Boba if he doesn't pay up. And Obi-Wan totally mind fucks the landspeeder buyer, and knows a shitload about wookiees - he has a conversation with Luke about the bowcaster and their cultural customs..! And now C-3P0 is lying through his teeth to people in Mos Eisley talking about a publicity campaign!

Edit: FUCKING HELL, a full blown torture scene! I'd imagine that'd scare the shit out of some poor kids back in the day...this is some weird shit.

It’s good though. I spotted the Boba reference, but this was made after Empire and the Holiday Special so he was Canon by then. 

3 hours ago, monkeydog said:

My wife and I hadn't watched an old Star Wars film for a while.  Plumped for the ESB as it's the second best one.  Kind of got bored by the astroid chase.  Not not reflection on the film.  I think we've just seen it one too many times. :(

I'm afraid to ask, but...... what's the best one?

So bit the bullet and went to watch Empire at the cinema this evening.  Was mightily impressed with the social distancing measures in place to be fair, and quite surprised how many other people were there on a Wednesday evening in these troubled times to watch a 40 year old film.:hat:

Film itself is still as wonderful as ever and easily the least fucked up of the original trilogy by Ol George’s fuckuppery. :wub:

What struck me tonight more than anything else on the big screen though was how stunning Carrie Fisher as Leia actually was in ESB, and that made me quite sad considering her untimely death.:(

8 hours ago, Waggo said:

So bit the bullet and went to watch Empire at the cinema this evening.  Was mightily impressed with the social distancing measures in place to be fair, and quite surprised how many other people were there on a Wednesday evening in these troubled times to watch a 40 year old film.:hat:

Film itself is still as wonderful as ever and easily the least fucked up of the original trilogy by Ol George’s fuckuppery. :wub:

What struck me tonight more than anything else on the big screen though was how stunning Carrie Fisher as Leia actually was in ESB, and that made me quite sad considering her untimely death.:(

She was stunning in Empire and Jedi. Even more so when you consider that she was completely off her tits much of the time.

On 01/08/2020 at 18:55, Vespa Alex said:

It’s good though. I spotted the Boba reference, but this was made after Empire and the Holiday Special so he was Canon by then. 

Christ almighty, I'm on to ESB now and John Lithgow is doing Yoda, by way of the Cookie Monster.

:blink:

Edit: I take it back, it's more like Tom Hardy's Bane. And Billy Dee reprises Lando, result!

I’m playing Fallen Order at the moment. It’s a mixed bag. It’s set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, so you have a mixture of designs from the prequels and the original trilogy co-existing in this period. 

It brought home to me that despite their numerous (and boy are there numerous) failings. For the most part the design work in the prequels was really good. Particularly in the Phantom Menace, there are some great character and vehicle designs. It’s more noticeable in that film because they were still using practical effects a fair bit, in later films there’s still some nice designs but they’re so busy throwing a gazillion things screen at once rendered in horrible flat looking CGI, that you don’t notice.

The sequels have done a really poor job at creating new iconography in comparison. Mainly because they’ve been so focussed on relying on nostalgia and recycling stuff from the original films and sticking some bits and bobs on, like Homer’s model power plant. Look here’s a Tie Fighter, but get this it’s black not grey now! I think one of the most identifiable characters just being a Stormtrooper painted silver sums this up. It felt really desperate when they tried to repeat it by making a big deal about revealing that Rise of Skywalker would have Stormtroopers that had been dipped in red dye.

I agree. Visually, I appreciate the PT for just being different yet occasionally familiar to the OT. You get all new planets and environments with Coruscant, Utapu, Kashyyyk, Naboo (a rare world that shows us a varied biosphere for once), and the various individual ship designs are great too. The sleek Naboo spacecraft, the Republic starfighters that gradually display/incorporate elements of the later TIE and X-Wings yet are still very much their own designs, the host of capital ships on either side, etc.

Conversely, the ST brings so little to the table, it suffers from a paucity of imagination. X-Wings and TIE Fighters with the most barely noticeable of tweaks, not-Tatooine, not-Coruscant, not-Endor, not-Hoth. Only BB-8, Canto Bight and the salt flats & crystals place in TLJ seemed to offer anything remotely new and interesting. And as for the costuming, it's all so goddamn dull and uninspired. Palpatine alone had a better wardrobe than the ST gang combined.

Think that is a large part of the reason why Rogue One and to a lesser extent Solo are the only Disney era films that interest me.  Rogue One so much so that it is neck and neck with ROTJ for 3rd place in my overall ranking list, which is high praise indeed considering how much I love the original trilogy.

The Force Awakens was fun at the time mainly as it was new Star Wars and miles better than the prequels (No great feat), but even then it felt shallow with plot holes you could pilot a Super Star Destroyer through ( I mean the basic plot was to find a map for fucks sake & it only got worse with the basic plot of ROSW being to find a dagger!!!!!).  TLJ trashed any notion of a coherent story arc to such an extent that ROSW was largely irrelevant and I think it is being fairly generous calling the three films a trilogy. 

Yep. The Mandalorian, set after Return of the Jedi, does a much better job of making the post-OT galaxy seem like an interesting place, although it also relies on nostalgia a fair bit. But it all feels real, and quite gritty, and the whole question of what happens to former Empire soldiers and Rebels once the war is over is a good one. If we'd got this before we'd got the sequel trilogy, everyone would have been hyped.

And I like The Last Jedi. But The Force Awakens and especially Rise of Skywalker have nothing at all to bring to the table apart from "hey, remember that thing you liked? Here's more of it!" It's hard to think of anything lazier they could have done with the premise than "Oh, here's another Empire and they're building another super weapon" apart from perhaps "GUESS WHAT Palpatine's not dead!!!". There aren't any interesting stories to tell in that galaxy because it doesn't feel real.