Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

38 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

He's fine in Jumper isn't he? 

Also, the Lando series could be great with either Lando.  Unless it's an Old Boy type plot given where Rise of Skywalker ended. Don't need to see that.

A young Lando series with Billy Dee doing intros would be nice. Just him regaling us with tales from his scoundrel past. And capes. Lots of capes. 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

A young Lando series with Billy Dee doing intros would be nice. Just him regaling us with tales from his scoundrel past. And capes. Lots of capes. 

I was thinking that this morning, like the way they used to do the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Maybe we’ll finally learn about his little manoeuvre at the Battle Of Tanaab.

1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

He's fine in Jumper isn't he? 

The Star Wars prequels and Jumper are the only films I’ve seen him in, so they could be misfires, but he just washed over me in both. No real sense of presence or emotional range. To be fair, all of the actors suffered from having to chew their way through some terrible dialogue in the prequels. 

I must admit, I was struck when going from end of the cw series to the final prequel movie last week. The guy in the animated series genuinely felt like he did a better job (though, again, had more and better material to work with).

Gotta wonder how much crossover we're likely to see between all these. Even from a purely business perspective I expect Disney has calculated the optimal amount to encourage cross-pollination but not limit accessibility.

If 16 year old me could hear 34 year old me describe how excited I am about the Hayden news...he'd probably say "Oh, OK, I don't know him outside of this role. Seemed pretty wooden, but it wasn't a great movie so I don't blame him."

Time has passed and healed all wounds.

2 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

If 16 year old me could hear 34 year old me describe how excited I am about the Hayden news...he'd probably say "Oh, OK, I don't know him outside of this role. Seemed pretty wooden, but it wasn't a great movie so I don't blame him."

He's fine. I wouldn't worry about it. I liked looper.

EDit; jumper, hah!

12 hours ago, makkuwata said:

the circle is complete...

Much like the massive number of Marvel releases my main hope here is that all this stuff doesn’t tie together too much so I can pick and choose. Ahsoka and Visions sound amazing to me, and assuming the trailers are good I’m keen to see more of Rogue Squadron and Obi-Wan, though that Patty Jenkins teaser is vaguely jingoistic bollocks. I’ll probably watch Lando assuming it’s Donald Glover (is that confirmed?). There’s nothing in the world that would convince me to watch a Cassian Andor TV show.

What is the late high republic era? Hasn’t most of what Vader did between ROTS and New Hope already been covered in the comics? Will Doctor Aphra be in Obi-Wan?

Last year I picked up that 19774K blu which was doing the rounds on ebay and was very impressed, but missed out on the ROTJ4K at the time....was looking the other week and saw now that they're ripping them to UHD discs along with a UHD of the Harmy ESB....wondered - has anyone picked these up? I'm definitely a believer in UHD having seen the difference between a blu and UHD of Ragnarok, but presuming these are like UHD-rs or something and whether they'd work in the Xbox One.

Just slightly suspicious of them, so wondered if anyone here had pressed the button on the UHDs and had any thoughts?

Interested in Obi Wan as Ewan McGregor is a great actor who got given a pile of shit to work with. The idea of Obi Wan distraught and broken trying to piece back some semblance of meaning to his existence is a superb premise.

However, the rest of it worries me... Kenobi is meant to be hiding away protecting Luke so is that how the series will end and the series tells of how he came to be there? How is Christiansen going to be Vader , he is no David Prowse in terms of stature and his voice is not James Earl Jones' voice.... Also if they use the latter's voice? Well I'm not sure how that works either, Jones still has a formidable voice but it just isn't the same as it was and the last outings for it have been weak as a result.

EDIT - as for the UHDs? I haven't bought any special edition of the the first three films and I never will. If the original elements no longer exist then that sort of cinematic vandalism is reprehensible. We have UHD presentations of much older films and much smaller budget films have their original elements preserved.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

Interested in Obi Wan as Ewan McGregor is a great actor who got given a pile of shit to work with. The idea of Obi Wan distraught and broken trying to piece back some semblance of meaning to his existence is a superb premise.

However, the rest of it worries me... Kenobi is meant to be hiding away protecting Luke so is that how the series will end and the series tells of how he came to be there? How is Christiansen going to be Vader , he is no David Prowse in terms of stature and his voice is not James Earl Jones' voice.... Also if they use the latter's voice? Well I'm not sure how that works either, Jones still has a formidable voice but it just isn't the same as it was and the last outings for it have been weak as a result.

EDIT - as for the UHDs? I haven't bought any special edition of the the first three films and I never will. If the original elements no longer exist then that sort of cinematic vandalism is reprehensible. We have UHD presentations of much older films and much smaller budget films have their original elements preserved.

Oh, you're misunderstanding on the UHDs - the 774K and 834K thing are fan community things where they've got hold of an original print, scanned in at 4K and cleaned up and matched the original colour timing (no purple tint!) - I picked up a blu of A New Hope and it looked great - the desert stuff was SO grainy (so bejesus what it would look like as a UHD) but it all felt far charming for it...and the clarity of even that version of stuff in the cockpits etc was great...so I'm curious how much of an improvement the UHDs are :)