Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

And just one more point about Jenkins and her aptitude for science fiction. To me it seemed that one of the reasons she was considered a good fit for Rogue Squadron was because her father was a fighter pilot?

Perhaps, like me, you were annoyed about Lucas' use of the terms parsec and lightspeed in the original film. At least he learned from his mistakes. Unlike Abrams, who both in Star Trek 2009 and in Force Awakens showed a shocking level of ignorance on basic aspects astronomy in terms of distances between planets and the speed of light.

In WW84 there are two different instances in the story where Jenkins used a physics issue that any GCSE Science student will be able to tell is complete nonsense and breaks the laws of physics, even those of a Super hero movie.

But you have to suspend disbelief you may tell me. After all super strength and super speed aren't really possible either. But wait! There are two further plot points that rankle. One involves the basic aspects of maintaining and operating an aircraft. The other, at a different point of the story involves just the basic physics of flight. You would have thought that someone who is proud of their father's occupation might pay a bit more respect to it.

On 16/12/2020 at 10:11, K said:

That's really interesting. It's easy to say this in retrospect, but at about 2.30 into that, Carrie Fisher gives Harrison Ford a look that you could probably use as evidence in divorce proceedings. I don't think its possible to look at someone like that unless you're already having an affair with them, or about to have one extremely soon.

image.thumb.png.ab0ef33f2afda47e328dc8cc9fdd7695.png

Just caught an episode of Chocky (the joys of YouTube and searching for something then accidentally stumbling over something slightly related) and there's Boba Fett in episode 3.

That would have blown my mind if I'd known whilst watching in 1984.

Chocky is still bloody great btw. What amazing children's programmes we had back in the day. I was originally searching for another classic of the time, The Box of Delights.

16 minutes ago, amc said:

Just caught an episode of Chocky (the joys of YouTube and searching for something then accidentally stumbling over something slightly related) and there's Boba Fett in episode 3.

Chocky is still bloody great btw. What amazing children's programmes we had back in the day. I was originally searching for another classic of the time, The Box of Delights.

followed by Children of the Dog star, no doubt.

1 hour ago, amc said:

Think that’s on britbox so probably won’t find it on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2020 at 20:17, cubik said:

As much as I dislike the latest trilogy, this is the stupidest idea in the history of stupid. Luckily it so far sounds like it could just well be a product of the feverish mind of a random youtuber and his unnamed "sources"....

The universe is a big place. the Star Wars universe can be as big as they want, so rebooting/remaking/pissing about with alternate timelines seems bizarre. Having the Millenium DeLorean swoop in to save the day while Lukey McSkywalker tries to get Anakin to stand up to Biff Palpatine and avoid Padme kissing him is a scary thought.

Even the extended force power ups in the last film felt massively out of place and just there through sheer laziness on the writers' part.

If they want to make more Star Wars they should just create new characters, planets, ships, plots and stories.

Soooo - Some people might have seen that this *ridiculous* rumour I mentioned months ago is gaining some traction. Most likely due to the massive craze around the finale of the Mandalorian, and specifically, what it sets up for the future.

I think it's certainly credible now, to suggest a split timeline like Star Trek is at least possible now...

I'll be back in here in 12 months to tell you all i told you so!

I’m not sure how you came to the conclusion that the finale of The Mandalorian and the announcement of another show which doesn’t contradict The Mandalorian in any way has anything to do with alternate timelines and stuff. 

11 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Soooo - Some people might have seen that this *ridiculous* rumour I mentioned months ago is gaining some traction. Most likely due to the massive craze around the finale of the Mandalorian, and specifically, what it sets up for the future.

I think it's certainly credible now, to suggest a split timeline like Star Trek is at least possible now...

I'll be back in here in 12 months to tell you all i told you so!

Where is this gaining traction exactly? People who like ranting about Mary Sue's on YouTube or anywhere actually credible?

If you want time travel in Star Wars then the Lego Holiday Special has you covered. Not sure it is canon though. 

6 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Where is this gaining traction exactly? People who like ranting about Mary Sue's on YouTube or anywhere actually credible?

If you want time travel in Star Wars then the Lego Holiday Special has you covered. Not sure it is canon though. 

Spoiler

Rebels covered it too, which definitely is canon.

3 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Hide contents

Rebels covered it too, which definitely is canon.

I like Rebels but I think that is possibly some of the easiest canon to potentially ignore. Either way I think time travel is a stupid idea to introduce. 

Just now, Stoppy2000 said:

I like Rebels but I think that is possibly some of the easiest canon to potentially ignore. Either way I think time travel is a stupid idea to introduce. 

Agreed on the time travel - just move on from the Skywalkers now. I don’t think we’ll be able to ignore Rebels canon with Dave Filoni near the top of the heap now, and so much of Rebels being reintroduced through Mando and the new Ahsoka show.

1 minute ago, Jammy said:

Agreed on the time travel - just move on from the Skywalkers now. I don’t think we’ll be able to ignore Rebels canon with Dave Filoni near the top of the heap now, and so much of Rebels being reintroduced through Mando and the new Ahsoka show.

Yeah they are definitely going to keep linking with Rebels but I think the odd retcon here and there is fine. 

You don't even need to retcon it - the whole time travel thing in Rebels was accessed at a particular place by a particular person and it would be easy enough for those circumstances never to arise again. Just don't mention it ever again - it's not like everyone in the galaxy suddenly started jumping through time.

What happened in rebels if you track it back, is actually the only reason the finale happened (Mando interacting with Ahsoka) causing "that" jedi to pop up. The  question is whether or not that's what's always happened or a new way of how they want to spin this later on down the line. Personally I hope it happens, but understand it's unlikely, but also it seems more plausible that they have at least realistically opened up a path for it, and it's not just a pie in the rabid neckbeard wish.

It's not going to happen, the events of the new trilogy are Star Wars canon, just as the Prequels are, people have to move on and live with it.

Also, the fact that Star Wars is a different thing for different people is great. We don't have to like everything that is Star Wars, just appreciate that there is something for everyone to enjoy.

In other news I'm enjoying my Star Wars Desk calendar, a mini random Wookiepedia. Yesterday was Krennic's prototype shuttle from Rogue One, today is Zam Wesell, the shape shifter assassin from Attack of the Clones. I love this stuff.

9 hours ago, Jg15 said:

It's not going to happen, the events of the new trilogy are Star Wars canon, just as the Prequels are, people have to move on and live with it.

Also, the fact that Star Wars is a different thing for different people is great. We don't have to like everything that is Star Wars, just appreciate that there is something for everyone to enjoy.

In other news I'm enjoying my Star Wars Desk calendar, a mini random Wookiepedia. Yesterday was Krennic's prototype shuttle from Rogue One, today is Zam Wesell, the shape shifter assassin from Attack of the Clones. I love this stuff.

It won't take a lot of writing skill to ignore the sequel trilogy anyway, since it wasn't borne out of any skill in the first place.

So for example- if Mandalorian runs for 25 seasons and catches up in the time period of the sequel trilogy, it can still be easily put to the side as a minor little skirmish in one corner of the galaxy, that ultimately went nowhere. Sure, a whole planet got destroyed by magic-JJ science, but neither the planet nor it's denizens had popped anywhere else in canon so we can ignore it like we do Yemen and the Uighurs in real life!

They can keep ‘fixing’ stuff over time though.....

eg the ‘holdo manoeuvre’ is now (according to last film) a million to one shot that would never happen again....odds are so low that you’d never try it. Suggesting also that she was clearly daft to have considered it.

it may always be canon but they can change the meaning or impact of stuff easily.

10 hours ago, sid said:

They can keep ‘fixing’ stuff over time though.....

eg the ‘holdo manoeuvre’ is now (according to last film) a million to one shot that would never happen again....odds are so low that you’d never try it. Suggesting also that she was clearly daft to have considered it.

it may always be canon but they can change the meaning or impact of stuff easily.

That was really shit though. They could have just said "we can't just throw capital ships at the enemy until we run out" or something. They could even have leant into it, and have it inspire the First Order to build giant capital-killer hyperspace missiles that required new tactics to defend against. Instead it's just brushed under the carpet.

But yes, stuff can indeed be fixed or rehabilitated over time. I'm one episode away from the end of The Clone Wars now, and that show has completely transformed my view of that era of Star Wars.

I don't big franchises "reboot" all the time - often confusingly (Terminator. Predator etc spring to mind). Star Wars itself binned decades of "official" canon (albeit not much was be in public perception) on Disney purchase - and THAT had a loyal and dedicated fanbase.

Getting rid of 3 terrible made films (before you even get into their heritage/links...I'm still amazed that something as fundamentally awful as TLJ got released), which even the defenders don't have an overwhelming degree of love for, would be done in a second if Disney thought they could make more money that way.

It's very telling that none of the Disney(+) announcements are from the sequel trilogy era - and few seem to care.

We're going to get Star Wars: Genysis. I'm telling you now :D

19 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I'd prefer they keep everything even if parts of it are a bit shit, instead of turning the entire thing into some kind of DC comics continuity nightmare.

I don't know I think "Legends"-ing "The Crystal Star" was a pretty good idea...