Jump to content

Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

So in Summary, @K's defence of the last Jedi is mental. If JJ sets up some shit in the force awakens, it's expected it'll get answered. Whether that's Rian's fault, JJ's fault, or KK's fault it doesn't matter. It didn't. Grumpy Luke? Meh, sure why not, but at least spend 5 minutes explaining why. Kylo going bad *exactly like his father* and have luke chuck it all in, makes no sense.

 

I'm with you @kensei Apart from the Grey Jedi. Bring in the average Jedi I say.

I mean this is old ground again but did you miss the scenes where Luke explains that he came close to killing Ben? 

Edited by Stoppy2000
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I mean this is old ground again but did you miss the scenes where Luke explains that he came close to killing Ben? 

that's exactly the point my man. 30 second expose. Learning nothing from the vader bit?

 

EDIT: I feel we need more justification for that decision. It doesn't gel with who the character is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

that's exactly the point my man. 30 second expose. Learning nothing from the vader bit?

 

EDIT: I feel we need more justification for that decision. It doesn't gel with who the character is.

What do you mean by learning nothing from the vader bit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Anyone looking forward to the next Star Wars movie? Or the load of Disney+ shows? 

Yes, absolutely. As much as people might like parts of the sequel trilogy, I don’t think anyone would argue that as a whole it’s a complete mess.

 

I reckon it’s been a big learning exercise for Disney and they won’t make the same mistakes again, so I think the next trilogy will be meticulously planned and they’ll come back with something a lot better than what we’ve had so far.

 

Is there any news on the next trilogy or has it all been shelved for now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

So in Summary, @K's defence of the last Jedi is mental. If JJ sets up some shit in the force awakens, it's expected it'll get answered. Whether that's Rian's fault, JJ's fault, or KK's fault it doesn't matter. It didn't. Grumpy Luke? Meh, sure why not, but at least spend 5 minutes explaining why. Kylo going bad *exactly like his father* and have luke chuck it all in, makes no sense.

 

I'm with you @kensei Apart from the Grey Jedi. Bring in the average Jedi I say.

It got answered. You didn't like the answers, but it got answered. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do enjoy the way people accuse others of not truly liking something but only pretending to. That is quite the thought process to get to that point... And I bet they are same people who go around using the word "objectively" when describing a subjective opinion. :D

 

 

I don't so much enjoy people being referred to as "mental" for having a different opinion on a film.

 

Serious stuff Star Wars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t particularly enjoy the sequel trilogy. I quite liked TFA, but hated TLJ and that pretty much dampened any enthusiasm I had for ROS. I still saw it at the cinema and it was terrible. I was reaching the conclusion that perhaps Star Wars isn’t for me anymore, however, I have really enjoyed The Mandalorian.

 

More worryingly I watched episodes 2 and 3 on Disney a few weeks ago, having not seen them since they were released. I quite enjoyed them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, skondo said:

I didn’t particularly enjoy the sequel trilogy. I quite liked TFA, but hated TLJ and that pretty much dampened any enthusiasm I had for ROS. I still saw it at the cinema and it was terrible. I was reaching the conclusion that perhaps Star Wars isn’t for me anymore, however, I have really enjoyed The Mandalorian.

 

More worryingly I watched episodes 2 and 3 on Disney a few weeks ago, having not seen them since they were released. I quite enjoyed them.

Are you sure you weren't just pretending? ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Qui-Gon Jinn is a great example of a "grey" Jedi and I wish we would have gotten to see more of him. He seemed far more balanced and "human" than the rest of the Jedi we see from that era.

 

Liam Neeson never used the Dark Side! He just argued with the Jedi Council. Like that's fine, I think there's room to support different flavours of each side; we've never really seen Dark Side training or POV outside of games, either. You just can't go on the space junk and come out unscathed. 

 

I think Star Wars works best with goodies and baddies. The whole thing is fundamentally silly and isn't hard to push into naff. It needs to be over the top and well, a space opera. I just don't think "Oh I can properly balance the light and dark sides" fits that. You go the dark side, and 20s later you're killing kids for another fix and cackling like you are a Dark Souls NPC. 

 

It also adds risk to using the Force. The Emperor taunts Luke in ROTJ for feeling normal human emotions. As a viewer you really feel the temptation to give in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Anyone looking forward to the next Star Wars movie? Or the load of Disney+ shows? 

 

The movies seem too far away. I am looking forward to the Obi Wan series. I'd like to see Ewan McGregor as Obu Wan in something actually good. 

 

The Vader thing is concerning though. Shitty recons irritate me and it could be the thing people criticise the hall scene for.

 

Of the others, The Acolyte looks the most interesting, as it seems the least tied to everything else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

30 second expose.

 

It was one of the most important, most successful and best parts of the film. Try this: https://www.slashfilm.com/last-jedi-rashomon/

 

Anyway, yeah fuck going over this ground again. Here's something I didn't know. Toshiro Mifune turned down the role of Obi Wan in Star Wars! 

 

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-wars-why-toshiro-mifune-turned-down-obi-wan-kenobi-role/

 

Quote

While the legend of the potential casting of the iconic Kurosawa katana wielder is known and hardly breaking news, it seems that we now know why it never came to fruition. At an event in Tokyo announcing the very first Tokyo Comic Con, the legacy of Mifune was well represented by way of the late screen legend’s daughter, Mika. Joined onstage by Star Wars onscreen alumni like Ian McDiarmid and Ray Park, Mika reportedly revealed the reasoning behind his fateful rejection of the Obi-Wan role. As she recalls:

“I heard from my father that he was offered the role of Obi Wan Kenobi, but he was concerned about how the film would look and that it would cheapen the image of samurai, on which George Lucas had based a lot of the character and fighting style.”

 

I mean, Alec Guinness was pretty awesome so no big deal, but it's interesting. Not really related, but I watched Seven Samurai again recently and Mifune's character is such an unbelievable pain in the fucking hole throughout, it's some performance. Reading about it afterwards, turns out he stayed in character all the way through filming! I cannot imagine how fucking annoying that must have been. What a baller :sealclap:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kensei said:

I think Star Wars works best with goodies and baddies. The whole thing is fundamentally silly and isn't hard to push into naff. It needs to be over the top and well, a space opera. I just don't think "Oh I can properly balance the light and dark sides" fits that. You go the dark side, and 20s later you're killing kids for another fix and cackling like you are a Dark Souls NPC. 

 

Temptation to stray from the righteous path for whatever reason (and vice versa) is maybe the number one theme across all Star Wars stories. From Han Solo coming back to rescue Luke from Vader's TIE fighter, to Mayfield getting his guilt off his chest in the Mandalorian, it's never just been a simple tale of goodies and baddies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

 

It was one of the most important, most successful and best parts of the film. Try this: https://www.slashfilm.com/last-jedi-rashomon/

 

Anyway, yeah fuck going over this ground again. Here's something I didn't know. Toshiro Mifune turned down the role of Obi Wan in Star Wars! 

 

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-wars-why-toshiro-mifune-turned-down-obi-wan-kenobi-role/

 

 

I mean, Alec Guinness was pretty awesome so no big deal, but it's interesting. Not really related, but I watched Seven Samurai again recently and Mifune's character is such an unbelievable pain in the fucking hole throughout, it's some performance. Reading about it afterwards, turns out he stayed in character all the way through filming! I cannot imagine how fucking annoying that must have been. What a baller :sealclap:

Yeah, I did like that. It depends on your perspective. Very Cobra Kai. It still needed longer though. Like Anakin wasn't developed enough in the prequels and only fleshed out in clone wars (Episode 1 should of been a 15 minute prologue and 2/3 expanded IMO).

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jedi Council’s representation in the Prequels turned what we thought were cool as fuck wizard-knight ronin into dull as fuck beauracrats living in a tower block on a planet with no plants.

 

Jedi like Ahsoka seem to just take the concept back to what it was in the first place, and away from the galactic equivalent of Bognor Council discussing road-humps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, womblingfree said:

The Jedi Council’s representation in the Prequels turned what we thought were cool as fuck wizard-knight ronin into dull as fuck beauracrats living in a tower block on a planet with no plants.

 

Jedi like Ahsoka seem to just take the concept back to what it was in the first place, and away from the galactic equivalent of Bognor Council discussing road-humps.

 

Totally. The taxation of trade routes and the Jedi Council in Ep 1 were so bland compared to the adventurous spirit of the OT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, womblingfree said:

The Jedi Council’s representation in the Prequels turned what we thought were cool as fuck wizard-knight ronin into dull as fuck beauracrats living in a tower block on a planet with no plants.

 

Jedi like Ahsoka seem to just take the concept back to what it was in the first place, and away from the galactic equivalent of Bognor Council discussing road-humps.

 

It feels intentional though. The Jedi have become pure bureaucrats during the Prequel era, too involved in Republic affairs to the point they blindly follow Republic/Palpatines orders and seal their fate.

 

I suppose its the only way to show how they are so easily destroyed in those films. Luke even mentions it in TLJ by saying that they ultimately failed because of hypocrisy and hubris allowing (and helping) a Sith Lord to rise to power.

 

By contrast it appears that the Jedi we will be getting in the High Republic era are more the knights of adventure and magic that we were led to believe the Jedi were before the Prequels came out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

By contrast it appears that the Jedi we will be getting in the High Republic era are more the knights of adventure and magic that we were led to believe the Jedi were before the Prequels came out. 

 

Apparently to start the Jedi starfighter in the high republic era you have to insert your lightsaber into the dashboard. So perhaps back then the Jedi used their lightsabers for more utilitarian means instead of chopping people's arms off when they start on you in the pub.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jedi being what they are in the prequels is one of many rubbish decisions that were rehabilitated by The Clone Wars. It recognised that the Council was rubbish and used this as motivation for characters like Ahsoka and even Anakin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to try to get my kids to watch Star Wars. They keep saying they've seen it and its boring. I'm guessing they've seen some or all of one of the prequels. I've told them there's a load and they'll like them. 

 

So, the question is: can we skip episodes 1-3 and when should we watch Rogue One? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I want to try to get my kids to watch Star Wars. They keep saying they've seen it and its boring. I'm guessing they've seen some or all of one of the prequels. I've told them there's a load and they'll like them. 

 

So, the question is: can we skip episodes 1-3 and when should we watch Rogue One? 

 

My son was exactly the same. Took years to get him to watch them. Turns out it's episode 4 (A New Hope, aka the original Star Wars) that he thinks is the boring one. To be fair from the perspective of a kid the first hour is basically two droids walking around and a lot of old people talking at each other. Once we got onto ESB and ROTJ he got really into them. So maybe you just need to push through the first one. What was good in the 1970s doesn't necessarily hold up for kids raised on more immediate excitement.

 

After we watched the original trilogy, we did the rest. He actually really liked the prequels (especially Phantom Menace). A lot of stuff in those films is aimed at kids, don't be surprised when they like them. I don't necessarily share his enthusiasm, but we went on to watch The Clone Wars and then Rebels, both of which he absolutely loved. Star Wars to him is now the prequel era more than it is any other part.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I want to try to get my kids to watch Star Wars. They keep saying they've seen it and its boring. I'm guessing they've seen some or all of one of the prequels. I've told them there's a load and they'll like them. 

 

So, the question is: can we skip episodes 1-3 and when should we watch Rogue One? 


For first time viewing I would always, always recommend release order. 
 

None of this prequel skip machete nonsense, watch it in release order. 
 

There might be those now odd new things added to the OT, like force ghost Anakin, but fuck it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.