Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

My son was exactly the same. Took years to get him to watch them. Turns out it's episode 4 (A New Hope, aka the original Star Wars) that he thinks is the boring one. To be fair from the perspective of a kid the first hour is basically two droids walking around and a lot of old people talking at each other. Once we got onto ESB and ROTJ he got really into them. So maybe you just need to push through the first one. What was good in the 1970s doesn't necessarily hold up for kids raised on more immediate excitement.

When I first saw A New Hope in the '90s, aged around 9 or 10, my mum warned me that I might find the first part of it boring because "it's mostly recruiting the crew". (I don't think she'd seen it since its cinema release over 15 years earlier.)

At that point I'd already read the comic adaptation of the first film (and had also seen about half of Empire Strikes Back on TV at Christmas several months earlier), so I knew what to expect. I didn't find it boring. :D

7 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

For first time viewing I would always, always recommend release order. 

None of this prequel skip machete nonsense, watch it in release order. 

There might be those now odd new things added to the OT, like force ghost Anakin, but fuck it. 

Realease order like 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 or 1-9? (with Solo and Rogue One tucked in somewhere) 

Depends how old your kids are, but I would probably not show Rogue One to younger children, it’s really violent and intense (for a Star Wars film). 

I wouldn’t worry about order at all, I don’t think young kids watch films in the same way adults do anyway. They seem to just take in bits that interest them and piece it together later, so it doesn’t matter whether you start with the prequels, the originals or the sequels, it will all exist as a kind of dreamlike jumble for them anyway. 

My son (five) has watched most of them, and the ones he liked best were the original trilogy, Phantom Menace and Rise of Skywalker. Attack of the Clones bored the tits off him, it’s painfully slow, and Force Awakens is too much for him - it’s basically 130 minutes of tension and action, there’s virtually no respite at all. 

Watching it with him has actually made me appreciate the Phantom Menace a bit more, it’s overtly a kids film and works better from that perspective (while still having a lot wrong with it). 

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Realease order like 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 or 1-9? (with Solo and Rogue One tucked in somewhere) 

I mean the order in with the films were first released, so starting with Ep.4 and ending with Ep9. 

R1 & Solo also watched at the point they were released. There’s loads of call backs in R1 that work best on first viewing when watched directly after Ep.7 

I think for kids, 1-9 in that order would work quite well to be honest. You start the whole saga with a readily identifiable kid character and some comic relief in the form of Jar Jar, and you're watching things in chronological order which is obviously going to be easier. By the time you get to 4, they're hopefully invested in the whole thing, the familiar characters of C3P0 and R2D2 give them their route into the story, and seeing what Anakin has become should be a big moment. Sure, you lose out on the big reveals in 5 (I Am Your Father, and Yoda's identity) but you compensate in other ways.

Rebels is the best kid-friendly content they've done, though. You could do 4 (for context, and Vader) then go straight into Rebels.

7-9 are weird, they sort of exist in a vacuum. There's none of the supporting material (the cartoons for the prequel era, or Solo/R1/Mando for the OT) which gives the other eras their depth. They're just three fairly forgettable movies that don't even hang together particularly well in isolation. Hopefully in time they'll start to feel like they belong a bit more, but certainly they don't tie into the other stuff in the way 1-6 do.

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Even the wife knows he lifted them from a landfill full of unsold Rose figures. Cheapskate!

You still sees loads Porg stuff come up on bargain websites. Disney bet big that Porgs were going to be a phenomenon in the way Baby Yoda eventually was.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumours that Hera Syndullah is going to take over from Cara Dune in rangers of the new republic. Here’s the source, but there’s no other details whatsoever there:

https://lrmonline.com/news/hera-syndulla-to-replace-cara-dune-on-rangers-of-the-new-republic-exclusive/

not sure how I feel - obviously Hera is a great character but she’s not a space cop, she’s a pilot. See what happens I suppose. 

They shouldn’t have killed off old Bib Fortuna. Then they could have had a series about him, Obi-Wan’s pal Dexter Fletcher from the 50’s diner and Porkins and finally give the more portly members of the Star Wars universe the representation they deserve.

They should have replaced Cara Dune with Rose Tico’s mum, and really given the hatefans something to cry about. 

RTX ON! Some youtubers have recreated the final few minutes of Clone Wars in UE4. I think it works well for the darker tone of the last 4 episodes.

Spoiler tags in case someone flips out over the thumbnail. But obviously, don't go near this if you haven't watched the clone wars and intend to.

Spoiler

On 09/02/2021 at 07:47, womblingfree said:

If you bring balance between light and dark you get grey.

I’ll take that over some sanctimonious Jedi or cackling pantomime Sith any day.

I've always thought the concept of grey jedi was a bit weird, but I've only really thought about it recently.

Light to dark can't be a flat scale, because you can flip from light to dark easily. If they were opposite ends of a spectrum, you wouldn't have good people suddenly turning bad and vice versa, you'd have them going through the grey jedi state.

It makes more sense if you view it as a circle, with light and dark on the same side of the circle. In that scenario, the grey at the far side of the circle would be people with no force powers, and there's no giant area of "balance" between the light and dark because they're basically the same thing but used in different ways. You might be able to exactly balance yourself between dark and light but that would be a very precarious position because you'd always be in danger of slipping one way or the other. Maybe this would give you a nice purple light sabre that's a balance between red and blue.

That explanation makes more sense to me with what we see on screen than there being a giant grey area between light and dark force users that we never see anyone operate within and which force users just whip back and forth through occasionally.

Edit: I've made some nice visualisations of what I'm rambling about:

So a lot of fans seem to accep that Force power works like this:

Linear.png.45bb4a9590175c48d1e58160a86410af.png

Where you're either at the extreme blue Jedi End, or the Extreme Red Sith end. This creates the theoretical "Grey Jedi" area in the middle. But we never once see an example of someone who exists in this central region at all. We regularly see people slide wildly from one end of the scale to the other, but nobody ever stops in the middle which seems really weird.

But if it actually works more like this:

Circular.png.76e0901e7513ecfcbb62e3972aae7c07.png

Where the left side is people with a lot of force power and the right side is people with no force power, that accounts for all the people we see in the actual stories and also the fact that we see people slip from one side of the force to the other suddenly. The only "Grey Jedi" in this instance would be someone perfectly balanced on the line at the far left side, which would account for the lack of these types of people in the actual stories.

On 02/03/2021 at 23:49, Talvalin said:

Make her a dark-skinned character then sure, rage will ensue. Green is okay because it'll just be a white person with makeup on.

I'm sure there was some outrage over Rosario Dawson being cast as Ahsoka in Mando. I thought she was perfect for the role and played it well.

2 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I'm sure there was some outrage over Rosario Dawson being cast as Ahsoka in Mando. I thought she was perfect for the role and played it well.

That's not true at all, Dawson is the person fans have asked as Ahsoka for quite a while. 

On 08/03/2021 at 18:50, womblingfree said:

@Jg15 There was a mixed reaction from the fans about Rosario Dawson’s casting, with some vocal anger that Ashley Eckstein had been robbed.

Fans will Bitch about anything. While no one will ever be the true voice but her for me, I'm not sure she'd have the gravitas for live action. Plus rosario looks good in it.

Her head tentacles though...they weird me out a little, as whatever they are made of creases. Shoulda used latex or something. 

:ph34r:

spacer.png