Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

21 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Its a shame they wasted Richard E Grant on TROS as I think he would have been great as Thrawn. 

Based on what? I haven't seen him be villainous without being too camp for Thrawn.  

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

One day one of these will be funny. Not today though...

I bet if we had a columbo thread that would have brought the house down.

Ewan McGregor did an interview with The Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/ewan-mcgregor-reviving-obi-wan-going-to-the-extremes-to-play-halston

In it, he talks about the Star Wars prequels, and how it "was hard they didn't get well received".

But I had to laugh at the sheer understatement of the headline that The Guardian used to sum it all up:

image.png.e648d99a6e186f6f301d4f46fa7873d7.png

In other news, water is wet!

On 30/04/2021 at 19:16, Nick R said:

Ewan McGregor did an interview with The Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/ewan-mcgregor-reviving-obi-wan-going-to-the-extremes-to-play-halston

In it, he talks about the Star Wars prequels, and how it "was hard they didn't get well received".

But I had to laugh at the sheer understatement of the headline that The Guardian used to sum it all up:

image.png.e648d99a6e186f6f301d4f46fa7873d7.png

In other news, water is wet!

They’re flipping loved by a lot of millennials these days though. Saw an interview from a couple of years back and Hayden Christensen was cheered to the rafters. He seemed completely perplexed but delighted that those shite films he’d done decades ago were now popular.

The retconning these fans do is nuts. A couple of examples;

The acting’s terrible! - Hayden Christensen gives a pitch-perfect performance of a confused young man.

The romance between Anakin and Padme is terrible! - Yes, but Anakin was isolated and had little contact with women, therefore of course he would have no idea how to talk to a woman.

Most of the love seems to have sprouted from growing up watching Clone Wars.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

They’re flipping loved by a lot of millennials these days though.

That's true, and the Hollywood Reporter interview has a line acknowledging that: "(The prequels have grown in admiration in the intervening years, particularly among the millennials who grew up with them.)"

I blame r/prequelmemes. :hmm:

Still, liking the prequels is more understandable to me than another example of fandom reassessment of unpopular films that I saw earlier today: Spider-Man was trending on Twitter, and there were several people claiming that the Amazing Spider-Man movies are better than both the MCU and Raimi Spidey movies. :wacko:

Something odd’s happened in the world of the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Out of nowhere the long cancelled novel Heart of the Jedi has popped up on Amazon.

It says “independently published” so I’d expect Disney to take it down asap. There’s a little history of the books non-publication at the back, along with notes. If you’re interested, grab it before it’s pulled.

https://amzn.to/3ecmdbj

Also available as a PDF here:

http://www.starwarstimeline.net/The Heart of the Jedi.htm

B7B1C78C-966F-4E57-A2D1-B2ABA8ACFABB.jpeg

The rather tragic tale of the knock on effect it all had on the author is possibly better than the actual book.

https://clubjade.net/kenneth-c-flints-heart-of-the-jedi-is-revealed-though-the-story-behind-it-may-be-more-intriguing/

New stuff on Disney+ tomorrow, in addition to the first episode of The Bad Batch. Nothing too much though.

Star Wars Biomes is some kind of virtual flyover tours of Star Wars locations like Hoth, Tatooine, and Sorgan.

Star Wars Vehicle Flythroughs has flythroughs in and around the Millennium Falcon and a Star Destroyer.

And for sweet, sweet cross promotional synergy, Maggie Simpson in The Force Awakens From Its Nap.

Spoiler

8KPIiXP.jpg

5 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Something odd’s happened in the world of the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Out of nowhere the long cancelled novel Heart of the Jedi has popped up on Amazon.

I just bought this with the same kind of reflex I get when someone uploads a fan remake of a video game.

On 02/05/2021 at 22:33, womblingfree said:

They’re flipping loved by a lot of millennials these days though. Saw an interview from a couple of years back and Hayden Christensen was cheered to the rafters. He seemed completely perplexed but delighted that those shite films he’d done decades ago were now popular.

The retconning these fans do is nuts. A couple of examples;

The acting’s terrible! - Hayden Christensen gives a pitch-perfect performance of a confused young man.

The romance between Anakin and Padme is terrible! - Yes, but Anakin was isolated and had little contact with women, therefore of course he would have no idea how to talk to a woman.

Most of the love seems to have sprouted from growing up watching Clone Wars.

My son (26) loves the prequels.  Those are the Star Wars films he watched first as a child. 

I'm not a millennial (Born in '77) but I've always found much to enjoy in the prequels. I can see the flaws but I'm usually able to look past them. They're a different beast than the OT. I saw each of them a couple of times on release and plenty of times since. I'd rather watch any of them than TROS.

It's amazing how much the Clone Wars "improves" the prequels. I mean obviously those movies aren't changed in any way by the existence of the cartoon but the Clone Wars does highlight the good stuff that's in them to such an extent that it becomes easier on a rewatch to overlook the bad stuff. It'll never happen but I'd love to see the Clone Wars team do full animated remakes of those movies - their versions of the characters (especially Anakin) are so much better than those that made it to the big screen.

I'd take the prequel era (1, 2, Clone Wars, 3) over the sequel era (Resistance, 7, 8, 9) any day. They're on another level in terms of ambition and imagination, despite their flaws.

Totally hyped for The Bad Batch tonight, we rewatched the characters' Clone Wars introduction over the weekend so really hoping this is a worthy continuation.

5 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

It's amazing how much the Clone Wars "improves" the prequels. I mean obviously those movies aren't changed in any way by the existence of the cartoon but the Clone Wars does highlight the good stuff that's in them to such an extent that it becomes easier on a rewatch to overlook the bad stuff. It'll never happen but I'd love to see the Clone Wars team do full animated remakes of those movies - their versions of the characters (especially Anakin) are so much better than those that made it to the big screen.

I'd take the prequel era (1, 2, Clone Wars, 3) over the sequel era (Resistance, 7, 8, 9) any day. They're on another level in terms of ambition and imagination, despite their flaws.

Totally hyped for The Bad Batch tonight, we rewatched the characters' Clone Wars introduction over the weekend so really hoping this is a worthy continuation.

Yeah Anakin is so much better in TCW. The main thing I prefer is that his dark streak is much more subtle. He's pretty heroic all through TCW but you get the occasional hints at his fascist tendencies in the things he says and his inability to understand Padme's humanitarian approach to the war. There aren't any episodes where he goes round beheading children just to remind us that he's going to become a bad dude, for example.

TCW does contradict the films in that Anakin is a much better Jedi Knight, and is accepted as such by the order. He loves being a Jedi, and masters like Mace Windu don't patronise him as much. In contrast, the way he's treated in ROTS is much more heavy-handed.