Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

Everything in Star Wars since 1983, apart from the Sequels and some far-future EU comics, has been a prequel. And now we have prequels to prequels, and prequels to prequels to prequels.

20 hours ago, Harsin said:

spacer.png

I know that we have all seen the same footage of these individuals supposedly dying. But I have sworn statements that individuals witnessed Mr Skywalker interacting with physical objects after he supposedly departed this mortal plane. I also have CCTV footage of Mr Yoda calling down lightning, much like the Marvel superhero Thor, to vandalise a tree. Mr Kenobi was heard to state that he was going to become 'more powerful than you can possibly imagine' just before his alleged murder. Now I may not be a big city lawyer, but I ask you ladies and gentlemen of the jury, do these sound like dead people to you?

You forgot the "Bkawk!" at the end.

I watched The Phantom Menace last night for the first time in what must be at least 15 years.

What a bizarre film it is. It's a kids' movie, but its opening premise centres on a political conflict between a trade federation and a lesser-known planet. The acting is pretty much uniformly terrible, especially from the little boy who plays Anakin, who's given far too many lines for someone of his ability, bless him, and from a script that has all the subtlety and nuance of a lightsaber to the groin. Jar Jar really is just rubbish, not to mention racially problematic, especially in 2021. And the entire film just feels oddly incidental, lacking in scope. I think the whole thing only takes place over a few days. It's probably unfair to criticise a film with the word 'Episode' in the title for being episodic, but there's not much here to convince me that this is supposed to be the first part of an epic, decades-spanning saga. Watching it now, It feels like a TV movie adaptation of a comic.

And yet, I didn't hate it. Some of the action sequences still hold up, especially the pod racing scene, which is great fun, mainly because Anakin shuts up for ten whole minutes. The boss fight duel with Darth Maul also still has impact, again, mostly due to everyone not talking for a while and just glaring at each other instead, but also because Williams' perennially fantastic score kicks into overdrive. And although he doesn't have much of a personality, I still thought Neeson was endearing as the wise Jedi master Qui Gon Jinn, his tragedy amplified by the fact that he's so wrong about Anakin. The dramatic irony is strong with this one.

I dunno. It's a weird one, for sure. I was only nine when it first came out, and far from the biggest Star Wars fan, so the vitriol that was levelled at the film by fans of the original trilogy was lost on me, as was the hype leading up to its release. I remember liking the lightsaber fights and the racing bit, however, and it's somehow comforting to know that, 22 years later, these are still the parts of the film that I most enjoy.

5/10

On 09/05/2021 at 19:25, womblingfree said:

Heart of the Jedi finally got pulled, but not before it had outperformed every other Star Wars book currently available.

AB43747D-586F-4F02-8658-6CA4A50476B1.jpeg

@TrebleHave you read Lost Stars? Would be a good palate cleanser after this.

Hah, I'm not surprised. People love an oddity. I gave up on it around 30 pages in. If you value your time and your reading comprehension skills, give it a Super Star Destroyer-sized berth :p

On 08/05/2021 at 09:19, Treble said:

I bought this on Star Wars day, mostly to send a message of moral support to the author rather than out of any special interest. 

I'm reading it now and, by gum, it's bad. I mean, it's verging on being unpublishable. To the extent where, if you'd told me the editor saying he'd missed his slot was just flannel to disguise the fact it'd take a day-one rewrite to make it any good, I'd believe you. 

Redundant phrases, ugly split infinitives, bizarre adjective choices, florid where it shouldn't be and dry where it should... bless him, it's like enthusiastic fanfic from a 14 year old. Check this out - not the worst paragraph, just the latest:

DSC_0040_1620461155964.thumb.jpg.567f1f5268673e0cedeac2be59d0ea0c.jpg

That last sentence reads like a Star Wars book being written by an A.I. Enid Blyton. 

All this Bad Batch has made me go back to Clone Wars. After struggling initially I found that skipping straight to S7 worked to get me into it, particularly the last three episodes which are like a really great Star Wars movie.

Tried watching the rest chronologically, but that didn’t really work as I gave zero shits about the characters and it still felt like a kids show. Now I’m just focussing on story arcs of characters I’m interested in.

The Mandalorian stuff is great:

season 2, episodes 12-14

season 5, episodes 14-16

season 7, episodes 9 and 10

Currently focusing on Ahsoka. A lot of her early stuff’s quite fluffy but there’s a good arc about Anakin, Obi-wan and Ahsoka on Mortis that goes full Lord of the Rings:

https://www.theyoungfolks.com/television/149356/mandalorian-season-2-the-ultimate-ahsoka-tano-episode-guide/

Next I’m going to focus on the Maul arcs then the Clone Troopers.

There really is so much essential back story to the universe embedded in this show, that like it or not, every fan should give it a go. 

Seems they didn't announce it or anything, but it's quietly slipped out that Filoni was promoted to Executive Creative Director last summer.

They’ve not said it’s totally cancelled, but Rangers of the New Republic is “not currently in active development”. So maybe they’re not going to bother finding someone to replace Cara Dune. 

19 hours ago, Festoon said:

Did they de-JJ the plot?

No, but they’ve supplemented so much of the story in the Vader and other comics, that if you’ve read those and have a clue what’s going on it goes some way to mitigating the JJ factor and gaining enjoyment from it.

Unfortunately nothing can be done about the non-deaths of Chewie and C3PO and the insertion of still useless characters while the old ones haven’t been explained yet.

Hopefully another 15 years of retconning and back story and we’ll be good to go.

He's basically confirming what anyone who's seen the mess of a trilogy already knows.

On a more positive note, at least it means they were aware it didn't work, so hopefully they'll have a proper plan in place before the next trilogy goes into production.

I still maintain that the obvious lack of an up-front plan was a feature, not a bug, as far as the powers that be at Disney and Lucasfilm were concerned. They wanted a different creative team for each film and they wanted them to freely build on whatever foundations they left by their predecessor. I genuinely believe this is because they looked at the originals (made up as Lucas went along) and prequels (much more planned out in advance as a trilogy) and concluded the former must therefore be a better approach.

I'm not saying I agree with that conclusion though!

It's good that one of the most prolific directors in Hollywood has realised something that most children figure out a few months into their first year of comprehensive school.

@Darren it was a fucking idiotic idea to restart a multi billion dollar franchise with no idea where it was heading from one film to the next.

You could write yourselves into a corner pretty fucking quickly if you weren't careful (they weren't), especially as you planned to kick these things out at break neck speed.

Its like building a skyscraper, in a compressed timeframe, with no idea how tall it will be. And then looking at all corpses after it has collapsed - and thinking maybe an architect might have been a good idea.

E2YiZbDVEAEeouj?format=jpg&name=medium

I thought they did have a high-level plan, but Carrie Fisher dying completely scuppered it, as did the sacking of Colin Trevorrow.

The actual quote in the article isn't some kind of mea culpa. He basically says "sometimes having a plan is good, and sometimes having a plan is bad, but plans are generally pretty nice to have I guess." It's like the vaguest possible waffly response to a question, but obviously all the Star Wars TrueFans and the sites who cater to them who are still upset about the woman with purple hair have interpreted it as him finally cracking and begging the fans' forgiveness. 

Yeah you're properly right. JJ isn't talking about Star Wars at all.

I doubt its something that's been a big deal in his life for nearly ten years. And I doubt Star Wars colours every interview he has given since then, or recent ones going forward - for being instrumental in turning the franchise into total shit show.

Silly fanbois.