IGNORED

Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

gospvg

On 03/10/2021 at 00:59, GwiDan said:

I never understood how you could bring balance to the force by wiping out the dark side. That’s not balance. 

I always thought that there was no real view of these and every writer was just throwing around new-agey sounding stuff they were making up as they went along, but apparently Lucas had a proper vision.

Basically if both Light and Dark side are equal and valid then you run into the necessity of evil problem, where you can't complain or do anything about the darksiders blowing up planets because they're just doing their job (being evil) and the universe at some level requires them to exist and will correct things so they do. Obviously that's not a very Star Wars story, Star Wars is about optimism and hope and defeating the bad guys by blowing them up and throwing them into big pits. Lucas thought that there was the force and it was Good, and the dark side was a corruption of this, a cancer. You cut out the cancer, you go back to being Good.

Obviously the choice of the word "sides" and "balance" for those concepts leaves something to be desired here, but it's from the guy who gave us Darth Icky and Sleazbaggano, so you know...

• 2 months later...

I was just rewatching Visions and the 9th Jedi episode and reflecting on the disappointing Sequel films.

It's a shame that Disney started with a sequel trilogy to the OT and didn't go with something not connected to the OT whatsoever like 9th Jedi. It feels distinctly disconnected from the main timeline, but with enough tidbits of info to make you wonder when this is taking place and what has happened leading up to it.  Exactly what was really needed to kind of "soft" reboot the SW franchise.

I suppose the safe box office bet was to go with a direct sequel to the most beloved films of all time, especially after the reception to the Prequels, but a disconnected set of films would have been so much better.

Here's hoping we get something akin to 9th Jedi story wise in the future. As an aside I did like the idea of Lightsaber colour/length depending on connection and attitude to the force as well.

On 03/10/2021 at 00:59, GwiDan said:

I never understood how you could bring balance to the force by wiping out the dark side. That’s not balance. 

The idea is that the dark side is imbalance by its very nature - lust for power, unnatural desires excetera. The light side is balance.

That doesn't always come through and is occasionally confused - the Rebels episodes with Tom Baker as "the one in the middle" spring to mind, even if the conclusion of that arc is ultimately against that. But there was a definite sense in the OT that just having access to the force carried some risk. You were exposing yourself to temptations that mean you could become a monster. You were scared for Luke facing the Emperor. As per above I wish they'd get back some of that edge.

I loved the sequel trilogy but....it looks like Disney has listened to the fans and are about to yeet not only The Last Jedi but all three sequel films out of cannon and into the Caravan of Courage pyre.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/star-wars-sequel-trilogy-reboot-rumoured-john-favreau-dave-filoni-head/?

Star Wars fans who felt that the sequel trilogy didn’t live up to the franchise’s potential may have grounds to rejoice.

According to YouTuber Overlord DVD who spoke to sources including Hollywood insider Kamran Pasha, producer Dave Filoni has begun working on a plan to rid the Disney sequel trilogy from the story universe and offer a rebooted sequel trilogy instead.

In an interview with Pasha, he explains that both Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni are rumored to be at the head of this project.

There wasn’t any information on what the rumored sequel trilogy reboot could look like and what that would mean to the characters established on-screen throughout The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker. While these films were harshly criticized by Star Wars fans, some of the characters introduced did excel on screen and, with a reboot, we could potentially see many of them back again with a new spin on things.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

When was Answer the Call ever a sequel? It was always separate.

Be that as it may, following it up with a film that has actual ties to the original two films is a pretty explicit rejection of its entire premise (and according to Feig, the 2016 film was completely left out of all promotional material for a new ultimate Ghostbusters boxed set).

That story smells like so much bullshit, I just don't see Disney doing that. Wegotthiscovered has a reputation as clickbait peddler of complete crap. More likely that they'll continue to coast on OT-era (and earlier) TV shows for a while then down the line revisit the sequel period, probably with a hefty timeskip and may or may not include characters from the JJ films depending upon what their focus groups say.

Saying that, in a world where WB spent nearly a 100 million on Zack Snyder's Justice League, who the fuck knows anymore when it comes to inane sounding rumours, it’s the Wild West.

They are not shunting the Sequel films into non canon on the basis that a handful of idiots hate them. I remember the same sentiment being said around the Prequels years ago and yet those films remain as canon as ever, despite the hate for them (I love them personally).

As @Garwoofoo says the current Disney+ shows are laying groundwork for what happened between eps 6 and 7 which , in turn, will ultimately provide more context and world building for the events of Sequel films.

I do agree that shifting away from the OT timeline as far as possible would be best for Star Wars going forwards. Get away from the Skywalker name etc and no real tie to any of those old characters. I know the High Republic is doing this to a degree but even then we still have the likes of Yoda. Chuck it into a far flung future or something where the old names mean nothing and start afresh with a soft reboot that isn't tied to a Skywalker legacy.

Being in charge of Star Wars must be like being the England manager. The fans love you when you're winning/making the Mandalorian, but as soon as he does something they don't like, they'll be photoshopping images of him being executed. 

Yeah this won't happen. Absolute click bait nonsense. 

Imagine you bin Carrie Fishers last appearance as Leia just to appease a minority of Star Wars 'fans'. The films were by no means perfect but they are what we have and it'd be better just to move on. 

14 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I'm just enjoying how much new Star Wars there is at the moment.  TBOBF is ace, the High Republic novels have been excellent so far (from what I've read) we've Andor and Obi Wan on the horizon on D+, not to mention Ahsoka and a new game set in the High Republic era expected probably next year. Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars. 

Hook it to my veins

I 100% agree. As someone who read all the books and comics released in the 90's to get a constant fix of Star Wars (especially during those empty years before the Prequels) this current time period is unbelievable. 

25 years ago, If you had told me we would have a Sequel trilogy, Standalone films, several live action TV shows in the works and books and comics that are considered  canon I wouldn't have believed it!

They just need to make KotOR canon now (hopefully the Remake does just that).

16 minutes ago, K said:

Being in charge of Star Wars must be like being the England manager. The fans love you when you're winning/making the Mandalorian, but as soon as he does something they don't like, they'll be photoshopping images of him being executed. 

At least failure isn't an absolute certainty with Star Wars.

7 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I loved the sequel trilogy but....it looks like Disney has listened to the fans and are about to yeet not only The Last Jedi but all three sequel films out of cannon and into the Caravan of Courage pyre.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/star-wars-sequel-trilogy-reboot-rumoured-john-favreau-dave-filoni-head/?

As much as I would like it to be true - their source is this guy:

DoomCock-noBG-e1578960587690.png

Why does this even get picked up as a story?

Would anyone really care if they did drop the sequel trilogy from being canon? It'd maybe allow them to bring back Luke at least, and do him right this time, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

I also don't get why as soon as this idea was mentioned a load of you started lashing at out at imaginary people calling them idiots and neckbeards. Why would you do that? It's really odd. It's just a trilogy of sci-fi films, nothing to get worked up over.

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

I also don't get why as soon as this idea was mentioned a load of you started lashing at out at imaginary people calling them idiots and neckbeards. Why would you do that? It's really odd. It's just a trilogy of sci-fi films, nothing to get worked up over.

Perhaps because those complete arseholes who harassed members of the cast and the films' creators do actually exist, and furthermore did get really worked up over a trilogy of sci-fi films?

I obviously didn’t realise how much people think of this latest trilogy. I also didn’t mean they should remake them. Personally I thought they were pretty poor with the odd good idea in there, so for me, as much as I love Star Wars, I wouldn’t be averse from them having another go with a better story attached this time.

20 minutes ago, Don Rosco said:

BTW TLJ Luke is Mark Hamill's finest performance as Luke. Not sure flushing that down the toilet is doing Luke right.

I absolutely hated the portrayal of Luke in TLJ as well, but as far as I’m aware I don’t have a neckbeard. As for being an idiot, well that’s another matter!