IGNORED

Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

gospvg

28 minutes ago, kensei said:

For the what the fourth time? - show me that story and don't drop it on me. 

Rey is the protagonist of the film and the agent of change. I didn't say she had to talk him out of it. But she should be the agent that drives the change - via challenging him or action. 

I thought the scene with R2D2 just trades on nostalgia rather than something that a new, well structured film would do. And I thought Chewie remained criminally underused.

Different strokes for different folks. But it's easy to see why the film is so divisive.

Why should they show you the story of what happened to Luke? In media res is a normal storytelling technique for things which are setup to the story being told. They tell you all you need to know in the film you're watching anyway.

Second of all, "agent of change" is a poor way of evaluating a work of art. It's a guideline, and like all guidelines it can be safely ignored if it doesn't help you tell the story you want to tell. There's no checklist for what is good art and what isn't. Does a work of art get an emotional reaction from you, positive or negative? If it does, it's good. If it doesn't, then the checklist might help work out why it didn't. Anyway, Rey is an agent of change, so you can happily tick that box, if that's what you care about. She's just not Luke's agent of change.

15 minutes ago, Sardan said:

The problem with the sexual films isn’t Luke it’s the first order being a pale imitation of the Empire and the Palpatine clone.

Well, that’s an interesting autocorrect !

9 hours ago, Phantoon said:

Why should they show you the story of what happened to Luke? In media res is a normal storytelling technique for things which are setup to the story being told. They tell you all you need to know in the film you're watching anyway.

Second of all, "agent of change" is a poor way of evaluating a work of art. It's a guideline, and like all guidelines it can be safely ignored if it doesn't help you tell the story you want to tell. There's no checklist for what is good art and what isn't. Does a work of art get an emotional reaction from you, positive or negative? If it does, it's good. If it doesn't, then the checklist might help work out why it didn't. Anyway, Rey is an agent of change, so you can happily tick that box, if that's what you care about. She's just not Luke's agent of change.

TLJ is a work of art now?! Even the bit where we think it’s a spaceship coming in to land, but no… it’s an iron!

I’m only joking by the way, I get what you’re saying really.

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

It seems Ming-Na Wen posted then quickly deleted a tweet congratulating Katee Sackhoff on what appears to be landing a Bo Katan show. 

It's feeling like a bit like Mandalorian overload. We already have The Mandalorian. (with a new series starting soon), The Book of Boba Fett, the co-star of the Ashoka series is a Mandalorian and now another series about a Mandalorian.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

TLJ is a work of art now?! Even the bit where we think it’s a spaceship coming in to land, but no… it’s an iron!

I’m only joking by the way, I get what you’re saying really.

Lol, was wondering how much pushback I'd get on that

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

It's feeling like a bit like Mandalorian overload. We already have The Mandalorian. (with a new series starting soon), The Book of Boba Fett, the co-star of the Ashoka series is a Mandalorian and now another series about a Mandalorian.

Building up to Tatooine/Mando: Endgame. With time travel back to the Obi Wan series.

19 hours ago, Phantoon said:

It's a guideline, and like all guidelines it can be safely ignored if it doesn't help you tell the story you want to tell. There's no checklist for what is good art and what isn't. 

Fair enough. It's does its own thing and is unfortunately a shit film. Worse, it is outright boring in sections. As the middle film of a trilogy, it's an outright disaster.

As usual when anyone discussing The Last Jedi, basically all the conversation does is back people into their corners and they will never ever agree.

You liked it. I really didn't and dislike it more since. Different strokes.

4 hours ago, kensei said:

Fair enough. It's does its own thing and is unfortunately a shit film. Worse, it is outright boring in sections. As the middle film of a trilogy, it's an outright disaster.

The films surrounding it are worse. 1 was a dull retread and 3 just an incompetent mess.

14 hours ago, Festoon said:

The films surrounding it are worse. 1 was a dull retread and 3 just an incompetent mess.

I genuinely enjoyed TFA, other than being annoyed with Rey being instantly good at everything. It moves at a zip and has a really likeable cast. That covers a lot of sins. It's a bit like his Star Trek reboot in that regard.

TROS decided it didn't want to make Kylo Ren the irremediable big buy guy and that was basically the only workable choice so it thrashed about wildly. It's bad but different bad to TLJ.

TROS seems like an introduction to the First Order we should have had, a new threat doing raids in the outer systems and always retreating behind this mysterious nebula, a governmental group investigating and needing to find their way through to investigate (map quest), discovering a big invasion army on the other side with a climactic battle that strikes a blow to the Republic and upends the status quo for the next films.

Obviously because Abrams can't do sequels, the third film reads like an alternate first act, but I think this one actually includes the worldbuilding you kind of needed in the new trilogy for it to stand alone rather than treating it as if the most important thing was the nostalgia fanservice of "what are the original cast doing" and "find a map to the original cast".

It's like how Matrix Resurrections has some better ideas for sequels to the Matrix than the sequels we got which just went for stronger punching, but is still a terrible film on its own merits.

44 minutes ago, sandman said:

Just watching TFA now. Christ, the opening scrawl is awful. Leia is apparently leading a RESISTANCE. What, didn’t the rebel alliance win last time around? Surely the first order is the resistance?  

JJ doesn't give a fuck. He's remaking Star Wars 

27 minutes ago, AstroBot said:

Did you miss the bit where the FA destroyed the New Republic and took over the galaxy. Quite why 

Hide contents

The Empire waited in the shadows when they had effectively won still confuses me amongst many many other things.

Yeah, but that’s after the movie started. Before that the Republic are in charge. I say it again, surely a resistance is against the incumbent government not a defeated former dictatorship. 

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Yeah, but that’s after the movie started. Before that the Republic are in charge. I say it again, surely a resistance is against the incumbent government not a defeated former dictatorship. 

I need to revise my earlier statement. Rey being good and the clusterfuck around the factions are the two annoying things about TFA. There was a ton of confusion at the time too.

Basically Leia disagrees with the policy of the elected government and is leading a paramilitary group. They are probably worried about "caravans" of space mexicans trying to sneak through to the core systems bringing drugs and crime and imperial ideology.

The First Order on a meta level is genius. It's a crappy facsimile of The Empire done by fanboys, much like the sequel trilogy is a crappy facsimile of Star Wars, done by fanboys*.

The issue is that JJ is terrified of explaining things, because explaining things has the potential of being boring, and so we never work out how big the First Order is, or what's happened in the intervening years, or the fact that's not Coruscant, or indeed anything.

*and I'm sure most of that is deliberate. Kylo is a crappy facsimile of Vader who misunderstands the fundamental truth; Vader himself didn't want to be Vader, but he screwed up so badly he had no other choice left.

13 hours ago, sandman said:

oops I thought you were talking about the third film for some reason.  Sorry.

They are fighting back against the FO without the support of the NR…so acting as a resistance in FO held space? Fuck knows.

Well, that’s The Force Awakens watched. It’s such a mediocre movie, kind of the equivalent of a Costa Latte. The whole thing makes no sense and (while they get better in later movies) Driver and Boyega are just terrible. I also reckon Ridley is a complete diva irl. 

Ford and Issacs are the only two who come out of this looking good. It’s easily Abrams weakest film for me. 

Next up is the film which mustn’t be mentioned. 

On 17/01/2022 at 00:22, Phantoon said:

The First Order on a meta level is genius. It's a crappy facsimile of The Empire done by fanboys, much like the sequel trilogy is a crappy facsimile of Star Wars, done by fanboys*.

The issue is that JJ is terrified of explaining things, because explaining things has the potential of being boring, and so we never work out how big the First Order is, or what's happened in the intervening years, or the fact that's not Coruscant, or indeed anything.

*and I'm sure most of that is deliberate. Kylo is a crappy facsimile of Vader who misunderstands the fundamental truth; Vader himself didn't want to be Vader, but he screwed up so badly he had no other choice left.

I love the fact that the Pablo Hidalgo Visual Guides really are essential when it comes to the Sequel Trilogy.

Previous visual guides gave you nice little tidbits on background aliens and weapons etc. These tell you that Courscant wasn't destroyed by the First Order, it was another planet that looked the same, or that Kylo was killing Vader acolytes on Mustafar at the start of TRoS for the Sith wayfinder. Major events seen on screen but needing a book to explain them.

11 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I love the fact that the Pablo Hidalgo Visual Guides really are essential when it comes to the Sequel Trilogy.

Previous visual guides gave you nice little tidbits on background aliens and weapons etc. These tell you that Courscant wasn't destroyed by the First Order, it was another planet that looked the same, or that Kylo was killing Vader acolytes on Mustafar at the start of TRoS for the Sith wayfinder. Major events seen on screen but needing a book to explain them.

Or, as I call it, terrible writing and direction.

13 hours ago, sandman said:

Well, that’s The Force Awakens watched. It’s such a mediocre movie, kind of the equivalent of a Costa Latte. The whole thing makes no sense and (while they get better in later movies) Driver and Boyega are just terrible. I also reckon Ridley is a complete diva irl. 

Ford and Issacs are the only two who come out of this looking good. It’s easily Abrams weakest film for me. 

Next up is the film which mustn’t be mentioned. 

I really liked Driver and Boyega in the first film. Boyega got a raw deal because they gave him the same story three times.

My favourite Star Wars controversy was there was loads of internet noise about a "Black Stormtrooper" pre TFA. I hadn't paid much attention and kept looking for a storm trooper in black armour to see what the fuss was about. None. Did they mean the silver one?

It took a while before the penny dropped.

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

The latter bit's a nice detail, but hardly essential to the film surely? You don't need to know he's on Mustafar, or that the people he's fighting at Vader cultists. I really enjoyed that opening montage from Rise of Skywalker, with Kylo Ren going from Mustafar, through the mad space whirlpool, and onto Exogol - proper sense of wonder stuff, there are whole worlds being glimpsed momentarily.