Jump to content
IGNORED

Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you


gospvg
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Er, he was one of the only good things about it.

 

Do you mean Alden Ehrenreich, or Donald Glover?

 

Because I'd class Lando as one of the OG characters. Well, OT, at least. :eyebrows:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nick R said:

 

Do you mean Alden Ehrenreich, or Donald Glover?

 

Because I'd class Lando as one of the OG characters. Well, OT, at least. :eyebrows:

 

Well both, but I think Ehrenreich did very well and was unfairly castigated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ehrenreich was really good. I liked the way he played Han as naive and idealistic, rather than just as the same jaded rogue we see in Star Wars. You could see the older Han on the way as the film progressed.

 

TBH, I thought the film as a whole was really good. Some of the action was a bit underwhelming - i.e. the speeder chase at the start, the bit with the giant space monster - but the characters and performances were all excellent, i.e. Woody Harrelson, Donald Glover, Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Even Emilia Clarke put in a strong performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ahead of Kenobi starting next week I thought I should rewatch the prequels, unfortunately this means rewatching the prequels. As has been mentioned a few times above the overarching story they are trying to cover is pretty good, but the execution is horrendous with some woeful dialogue & editing. Everyone knows the issues with these movies by now.

 

As such I have been checking out the Star Wars Fanedits. Normally the thought of some oik on the internet thinking they know better than a movies original director is a horrendous idea, but I think this is possibly the only example where it can be excused. I already have the 'de-special editions' which I would still go to as my choice of SW rewatch for the OT.

 

I now have watched the re-edited prequels & I think its safe to say I will never go back to the Lucas versions. For example Phantom Menace massivly improves the characters by removing all the inane slapstick, Anakin whining, Jar-Jar, standing around, repeated exposition,  pointless scenes etc. amd is a much zippier film at 90min long. They have removed almost an hour of Attack of The Clones and well... its not as shite. Theres only so much you can do with that one!

 

If anyone wants information for them, there are probably hundreds of versions, but the ones I went for were:

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

 

Its not hard to find downloads for them if you search.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the big wide world of books, comics, etc. has there ever been an alternate take where Luke did go join the Imperial Academy like he wanted to at the start of ANH?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darkhorse comics did a series of 3-5 different timeline stories called infinities back in the late 90s early 00s iirc, they were ok but had hack ideas like Vader being a good guy but his suit was white instead of black. 

Darth-Vader-and-Luke-swear-to-find-Palpatine-together.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

Darkhorse comics did a series of 3-5 different timeline stories called infinities back in the late 90s early 00s iirc, they were ok but had hack ideas like Vader being a good guy but his suit was white instead of black. 

Darth-Vader-and-Luke-swear-to-find-Palpatine-together.jpg


Daz Vader. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any idea when Celebration tickets are likely to go on sale? Will it be a ridiculous task trying to get them? Also any recommendations on where to stay if I plan on going for the whole event?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/05/2022 at 10:49, K said:

Ehrenreich was really good. I liked the way he played Han as naive and idealistic, rather than just as the same jaded rogue we see in Star Wars. You could see the older Han on the way as the film progressed.

 

TBH, I thought the film as a whole was really good. Some of the action was a bit underwhelming - i.e. the speeder chase at the start, the bit with the giant space monster - but the characters and performances were all excellent, i.e. Woody Harrelson, Donald Glover, Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Even Emilia Clarke put in a strong performance.


Totally agree with this - I thought the new actors did a bang up job with their characterisations, and with the rest of the cast pulled off a very decent, fun, Star Wars movie after the much more serious and sombre TLJ. I was pretty disappointed that they decided not to do any more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/05/2022 at 12:16, Kevvy Metal said:

 

I was at the 2016 one and it was a blast. Defo going to that! 

Forum meet up for it? I've never been to any type of con, so going with some likeminded folk would be exciting!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Waititi says the movie he's working on will be new characters and expand the universe. He doesn't want familiar things making it feel like a small world. Don't expect to see the blueprints of the Falcon or Chewbacca's grandmother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Celebration tickets on sale tomorrow at 5pm....

 

https://www.starwarscelebration.com/en-us/tickets.html

 

£159 (+vat). Plus hotel and train tickets. Not sure its going to be worth it... Hmmm. 

 

Genuine question - are these events actually good? What do they actually have there?

 

Never been to anything like this but my son is Star Wars mad and that's two weeks before his 14th birthday. Wondering if he'd enjoy it, or if it's just a bunch of people dressed up then £££ for anything that's actually good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.