All those free iOS games which are just a tedious grind- a depressed rant

therearerules

Sorry, I ignored that because I had no idea what your problem with the stock button was. They don't try to charge you any money for pressing the stock button so I wasn't sure what the relevance of it was.

You might understand what they're aiming for, but you don't seem to understand that that is what the audience wants. If the game was shit, nobody would download it. People download it and keep playing it because they enjoy it, and because it's the game they want to play. You think it's shit because it's not the game you want to play, but that doesn't make it shit.

The stock button is a meaningless button push that could (and should) be automated. If it were you'd be able to order stock and leave the game with it delivered and sold- if it said it arrived in 30 minutes it wouldn't matter if you couldn't play in 30 minutes. However it's not, so it does matter that you can't play in 30 minutes- it's there waiting for a single pointless button push. So if you know you're heading out/going to bed whatever, there's a very strong incentive to spend BUX speeding things up. Bad design inconveniencing players for monetary gain.

And I don't think it's shit because it's not the game I want to play. I don't have a string of posts to my name complaining about every genre I don't get on with. I've explained why I think it's shit- there are sections designed to inconvenience the player for monetary gain, and they're using gambling psychology tricks to hook players. Not because I don't like lightweight management sims or dip in/ dip out games.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, or me to convince you- some people will play these games and get something out of it. But I really don't think my problems with them can really be disputed. And everytime somebody paraphrases my argument into 'I don't like these games' or 'I find the waiting boring' then I'm compelled to point out my actual reasons for hating them.

The stock button is a meaningless button push that could (and should) be automated. If it were you'd be able to order stock and leave the game with it delivered and sold- if it said it arrived in 30 minutes it wouldn't matter if you couldn't play in 30 minutes. However it's not, so it does matter that you can't play in 30 minutes- it's there waiting for a single pointless button push. So if you know you're heading out/going to bed whatever, there's a very strong incentive to spend BUX speeding things up. Bad design inconveniencing players for monetary gain.

Again though, it's about giving the player choice. And there's no penalty for not speeding things up, it just takes a bit longer. The game doesn't encourage you to spend money, you encourage you to spend money, and if you're patient then you don't have to spend it. I don't see why you think it should be automated. Why not automate reloading in Halo. Why not automate shooting. Why not automate movement. Does that make the game more fun? Obviously that example's deliberately stupid, but we can't just pick out a random part of a game and say it should be automated just because it fits our argument, because it makes no sense.

There are plenty of other reasons to be pissed off at IAPs which work in a similar way to this and genuinely fuck up games, but meaningless games that just use them to speed things up are not the problem and don't do any harm. All they offer is a means for the impatient to progress quicker, for everyone else there's just coming back later.

The real problem is in games like Triple Town, for example. In that game, you can spend real money to buy in-game currency, and then use that in-game currency to buy items that you can use in the game. What that means is that unless you start a game with a ton of the in-game currency, you're basically crippled and simply cannot get a score as high as you would be able to if you'd started with more currency. There's a game which has been broken by microtransactions. There's a game which is shit because of microtransactions. It basically means you can pay for your slot on the leaderboard, to an extent. If this kind of IAP thing is ever going to do damage to the games we love it's stuff like that, not stuff like speeding up Tiny Tower and its ilk which are games with no competitive aspect whatsoever.

IAPs (that's In App Purchases I'm guessing) are just modern day cheat codes. If you can't play the game without the cheat codes, what are you fucking 8 years old or something !

Yeah I didn't read the rest of the thread, but I did make my 1st transatlantic flight in pocket planes this morning whilst stuck in traffic.

I haven't bought any content with real money because I'm skint,scottish and don't feel the game needs it. If the game needs you to buy these items with money simply to progress then you simply choose to delete it and move along.

It's certainly not worth all the ranting that I'm assuming has taken this thread up to this point.

That's good design. For two reasons. Firstly as you pointed out it can encourage spend.

Secondly it also encourages the player to come back into the game. Without doing that they can't make their in game cash.