rllmuk
Timmo

Spelunky

Nooooo, I got to the end of World 2 and didn't have the item the guy needed for the first bit of the shortcut. I'm pretty confident on the Jungle now too, the totem poles are definitely the most troublesome parts. I hate the dark levels though, I just end up hoping I get lucky with a fairly easy level layout.

I'm finding I can only play this about 30 minutes or so at a time though. After that the constant deaths and restarting start doing my head in. I inevitably find myself back an hour or two later though.

Yeah I think it's a bit of both, trying the worlds repeatedly to get used to them a bit but then having to go from the start for your items and also for the high score table.

It's almost a bit of a shame that the leaderboards aren't as cleverly synched as games like Pinball FX2, would be nice to see where people on your friends list have got while you play and stuff.

I think I need to get Dark Souls back in as well, I only rented it before but it makes me want to try again.

The odd thing about the leaderboard is that it seems to be more interested in the stage you reached than your score (or your actual positioning). If you get to 2-1 with 50,000, and then to 1-4 with 70,000, I think it'll just hold onto your first score. I could be wrong, though - my friends' leaderboard is all over the place, with me at the top (somewhere in the top 200 as of last night), then someone in the 20,000s, then someone in the 500s, and so on...

The friends leaderboard is alphabetical, pointlessly. I imagine that's an oversight/bug.

It's based on money though, it shouldn't be keeping that 50k score if you get 70k, I've certainly not found that happening to me.

What's everyone's gamertags? My leaderboard is looking quite bare.

My gamertag's the same as my rllmuk handle. I think my friends list is full, but I can certainly make some room if anybody's after some competition. :)

Day off work, so I've been blasting this for a bit. Finally made it to the jungle, picked up a golden skull and was swiftly fish food.

Feel free to add me, 'candlemambo', if you want to ensure you're never going to be last place on your friend leaderboard.

If there are no ladders about, the rope is your chum if you find the golden idols. I only realised yesterday that not only can you take the idol to the exit like the damsels but you can also sell them in the shops :facepalm:

My gamertag is in sig if anyone wants to add (although the leaderboards do seem a bit odd in this).

Just managed a 2-2 playthrough, starting that level with 4 health. How the hell did I manage that? Still, had no bombs and promptly got nailed by some dude with a boomerang.

How d'you sell stuff in shops then? And do you get a fair price for it?

I was just holding an idol as I went into the shop and the bloke said thanks and I got some money, not sure actually what the price was...

I love this, people who were complaining about them changing from pixel art are wrong as this is beutiful! My GOTY for sure.

As for spiders, Jump on them when they land.

So the general vibe is Dark Souls, lots of sudden death, and multiple re-runs through levels to help you crack the next one?

Cool!

That's 1200 points saved there, then.

I've not managed to repeat my epic run-through from the start to the end.

I did, however, buy the Ankh and the Achievement didn't pop. Wouldn't mind knowing if this happens to anyone else.

gamertag is diceman1980

(I'll put it in my sig when I'm allowed to edit my profile; when will that be???)

My friends, a warning: do not crawl-hang off a ledge while holding something. You will let go of it, it will hit you on the head, and you will fall onto the pit of spikes below. In 1-1.

• Upvote 1

I've not managed to repeat my epic run-through from the start to the end.

I did, however, buy the Ankh and the Achievement didn't pop. Wouldn't mind knowing if this happens to anyone else.

gamertag is diceman1980

(I'll put it in my sig when I'm allowed to edit my profile; when will that be???)

I got that achievement, but I didn't buy the Ankh, just ran out of the shop with it. Heh.

My friends, a warning: do not crawl-hang off a ledge while holding something. You will let go of it, it will hit you on the head, and you will fall onto the pit of spikes below. On 1-1.

Normally when that happens you just drop the item down the gap, I've no idea how it ended up on your head

Yeah, that's one of the things that I don't really like so far. I think it's when you do it without a load of room around you. Fair enough if you ping something and it comes back and whacks you but that just feels overly harsh. Also not keen on the fact that doing something way across the other side of the map can unwittingly set the shopkeeper off.

I suppose I haven't played it enough yet to judge whether it'd be too easy without stuff like that though. Based on my progress so far (one shortcut built) I'd be surprised if I end up coming to that conclusion!

My friends, a warning: do not crawl-hang off a ledge while holding something. You will let go of it, it will hit you on the head, and you will fall onto the pit of spikes below. In 1-1.

This has happened to me many times.

I find it quicker and more accurate to do a slight jump out, and back into the ledge to hang. Never let go of anything doing it that way.

I think buying this was a big mistake on my part. I don't think I've ever played something that looks so much fun but is so punishingly frustrating. I don't mind a challenge, but at times this feels like it's been made hard for the sake of being hard, rather than to make it fun. Things like the one-hit kills from spikes, totems and man-eating-plants are almost sadistic, especially when you've carefully made your way through previous levels, rescued enough maidens to have six hearts of health, only for a frog to drop down from a hole in the ceiling and bounce you into a spike pit, instantly killing you outright. Or the whip missing a bat, it knocking you off a high drop, and then while you're dazed and can't move, it slowly flying down and then killing you. I wouldn't mind these random dangers if the result was just losing a single heart, but to regularly die outright from commonplace dangers feels like crap.

Sadly it's just not for me, I don't have the reflexes (despite my avatar :)) or patience, and if I've learnt one thing, it's to never buy a game based on videos and previews again. Demo's first in future...

But why do I still feel like I should have one more attempt. Gah!

• Upvote 1

Keep with it man, you'll get better and that is when you'll feel it. The more punishing a game is the more rewarding it can be.

I find it quicker and more accurate to do a slight jump out, and back into the ledge to hang. Never let go of anything doing it that way.

Yeah, I tend to handle everything with 'running' jumps, now. You can still make precise movements with RT held down, I find.

Tutorial didn't explain how to pick things up.

Yeah it did, third section of the tutorial and it's impossible to miss, you can see it from where you enter.

You know what, i would still love this game if it was only the mines levels endlessly randomised.

In fact, i think they should have had a few bonus modes like that.

I'd love a dark levels only mode, because it completely changes the dynamic, you can't sprint about, and i particularly like tentatively dropping your light source off a ledge to see how far the fall is.

While comparisons to Dark Souls are accurate in spirit, the areas in that game are the same every time so you learn the routes and enemy placement, and it gets easier once you've levelled up a bunch.

Spelunky is different every time, constantly surprising and it's only your grasp of the systems in place and your skill that improves.

• Upvote 4

You know if they released this on PC with Online co-op and a level editor, I'd have to buy this again... It really is beautiful, give me these graphics over the NSMB shite any day!