rllmuk
Timmo

Spelunky

Jesus. I went for a few beers and a gig tonight. Guess what was in my head the whole time? That's right...

I'm glad I didn't get the trial. I wouldn't have persevered with it. My opinion of this game has switched 180 degrees.

I'm shit, but I fucking love it.

• Upvote 3

Got the teleporter, it took me off screen and killed me instantly.

Jesus. I went for a few beers and a gig tonight. Guess what was in my head the whole time? That's right...

I'm glad I didn't get the trial. I wouldn't have persevered with it. My opinion of this game has switched 180 degrees.

I'm shit, but I fucking love it.

Sweet. I think a lot of getting over the frustration of this game is accepting straight out that you WILL die. Over and over again. A lot of people aren't used to that. The trick is to persevere and keep playing and suddenly you'll realise that you're using specific methods to make sure you don't lose health, you're not taking routes that look too dangerous, and you've developed a sense of the best route and where the exit probably is. Suddenly you're finishing three levels in a row, all under a minute each with no health lost.

I've been waiting to play this all day, with stupid life getting in the way. In I go.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't say Dark Souls has any kind of relevance to this at all, not sure where that's coming from, other than both being fairly difficult. I know most blockbuster games these days are rather easy, with shallow mechanics and little to do but walk forward, hide behind cover and shoot the mans, but that's a fairly recent trend.

Obviously it's somewhat roguelike-like in some of its trappings, but really, it's just the age-old platform-adventure game standard of 'restart the game when you die', updated to work in modern times.

Super Mario Bros did it. Alex Kidd in Miracle World did it. At one point the vast majority of these sorts of games did it. I remember as a wean spending what felt like years playing Alex Kidd in Miracle World, determined to complete it. I never did, it was hard as nails! It's not even that great a game, but still I plugged away. This game brings back much of that feeling for me, while making it infinitely more palatable with the randomly-generated levels.

Also, love the music. Oddly, a couple of the tracks really remind me of Phoenix Wright of all things.

I just finished my first successful run from start to finish without shortcuts and now i'm number 10 on the leaderboard.

Happy with that!

• Upvote 2

Definitely, I also use the blond bearded guy as he seems to be the kind of guy who would have a loving relationship with a pug.

Oh, everyone IS using the pug damsel, right?

I think I would feel too bad about using damsels to set off arrow traps if it was a pug.

• Upvote 1

I just finished my first run from start to finish without shortcuts and now i'm number 10 on the leaderboard.

Happy with that!

You good at games bastard.

I think I would feel too bad about using damsels to set off arrow traps if it was a pug.

Or offering them up for sacrifice.

Finally got to world 2!!! :)

Who's the guy I let out of the coffin? Bloody sod went on a rampage and got us both killed by the shopkeeper.

Game achieves perfection:

1) Put the brightness setting up in the menu at least until you can see the bricks in the background.

2) Enjoy doable dark levels.

Loving this cruel beast. The best I've managed is 2-1 in about 25 tries. Definitely my kind of game. The second you start to get casual about your progress something smacks you in the face.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I did wonder the age of the folk who weren't enjoying the game as that might explain it. Games have always been like this. I grew up playing platformers on the speccy, my first game was caves of doom which was bastard hard

and coin ops were always designed to be difficult, and then there's the term "nintendo hard".

Nowadays it's all hand holding, "normal" mode is the new "insultingly easy". Everything is handed to you on a plate. Maybe gamers who grew up in the age of aim assist, checkpoints every thirty paces and friendly AI, maybe they're just not learning the skills they need for "proper" games :blah:

It's a theory anyway :lol:

I remember whenever I got a new speccy games, I never read the instructions because half the fun was just jumping into this world and discovering the game for yourself. Nowadays, they teach you the controls, teach you the mechanics, the joy of discovery is taken away. Rather than exploring the strange and exciting new world you've fallen into by bighting sticklebricks and shitting yourself, you get fast tracked to primary school and then the teacher does all the work for you.

Cargo, not the best game in the world, but that was a recent game that got that right. I had no fucking clue what was going on and it was great :D

If you were the kind of person who got frustrated by dying in a computer game in my day and age, you'd have stopped playing them altogether after a few days.

All I need is for someone to go "No, I'm 30, I like hard games, I just don't like this particular game because it's shit" and my theory is dead in the water :lol: but does that make sense, is it a possibility?

Yeah, after my initial "what have they dooooooone" moment, I love it, it really grows on you. It's like this is 16 bit to the originals 8 bit.

I'm 43, my favourite game of all time is Jet Set Willy, a title that not only had a "feature" that would often mean you lost all your lives if you entered a new room in the wrong way, but also a game breaking bug that meant it was impossible to finish without using a Poke command to alter the code. :D

Games were often much harder then, mainly because coin-ops needed to wring maximum profit for their operators, and home games because memory was in such short supply that, if games could be saved at each level, a lot of them would be completable in 15 minutes.

I'm not sure that adding features that were frustrating 30 years ago and have rightly been improved upon is necessarily celebrating the best in gaming heritage.

Spelunky is lovely to look at, handles well, and is amazingly addictive. I just think that it'll disappoint many players not used to such a hardcore experience, difficulty-wise.

It's definitely not for everyone, which is part of the reason I find review scores (all review scores) pointless. The 9s and 10s imply that everyone should go out and buy it right now, and if you're that easily swayed you deserve everything you get.

I can see why people think the game is incredible it but I know if I laid down £10 on it I'd be baying for blood within half an hour.

I also agree the only thing it's got in common with Dark Soul's is that it's an uncommonly difficult game, and that's it. Actually, the other thing it has in common is that it's really interesting reading peoples posts about how they're getting on in the game.

Finally got the third short cut open, feels good man! Now I can mess around in the fourth world for a bit and then have a go at some proper runs from the start. I think it'll be a lot easier now my hands aren't full.

I think doing that's probably increased my skills a fair bit, though.

I got to the end of 2-4, shotgun in hand, and managed to get bumped into nearby spikes, metres away from the door. Pain.

• Upvote 1

Heh, that happened to me earlier. An unfortunate death right at the end of 2-4, that is. I was very near the exit, about 500 points off beating my best score (just over 87,000), and somehow managed to jump into a tiki trap instead of over it.

Yes that's exactly what happens to me, start to get cocky then bang, drop down a hole without looking and land on some spikes or something. It certainly punishes sloppiness.

It's interesting, the difficulty in this isn't like something like Super Meat Boy (which I find simply impossible at a certain point), where the challenge comes mostly from an extreme dexterity and reaction test. Instead this really demands very, very high concentration. As a result it feels much easier to me - even though it isn't! I've made far less progress than I did in SMB, haha.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, my best runs are when I basically take it very slow and avoid the run button as much as I can. When you break everything down to individual events, the game is rarely hard, it's just the fact that it punishes anything you do wrong.

As soon as I started observing what was around, and concentrating on getting to the goal I found I died far less. Prior to that I wasn't taking everything in, and would frequently get hit by arrow traps or spider I had simply failed to notice. I still zip about, but I do it in a far more considered manner.

So having played a bit of this for the first time tonight, if you spent your youth being kicked in the head by one of the Ghouls n Ghosts variants, the difficulty of this shouldn't be too surprising.

So having played a bit of this for the first time tonight, if you spent your youth being kicked in the head by one of the Ghouls n Ghosts variants, the difficulty of this shouldn't be too surprising.

Very true. To think i managed to finish the SNES one before save states... I've clearly gone soft in my old age.

I dunno - if Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts had had randomised level layouts, imagine how much of a nightmare it would have been!

I remember whenever I got a new speccy games, I never read the instructions because half the fun was just jumping into this world and discovering the game for yourself. Nowadays, they teach you the controls, teach you the mechanics, the joy of discovery is taken away. Rather than exploring the strange and exciting new world you've fallen into by bighting sticklebricks and shitting yourself, you get fast tracked to primary school and then the teacher does all the work for you.

I disagree; this was, and is, fucking shit. I don't necesarily want handholding, but the utter paucity of anything you ever used to get from things like speccy games was criminal. Comparing the overwhelming handholding of some modern games to how "great" is used to be is complete rubbish. Stuff like Spelunky gets the balance right(ish), but don't try and kid yourself that the old games gave you anything like enough information to even be able to work out how to play the game, very often they just didn't.