Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

That article makes no sense in relation to Liverpool. The only issue I have with the owners is that we're still not really any closer to a bigger stadium, and indeed most of anyone's concerns are related to what is perceived as a lack of investment. The article's main sticking point seems to be that too much money is being thrown at the Red Sox, and it isn't paying off. The guy writing it appears to be the definition of a fair weather fan - he states that he's now stopped caring because they aren't winning as much as they used to.

Also, the comment immediately below it calls into question the credibility of the article. Not only is it irrelevant to the way Liverpool are being run, apparently it's an inaccurate portrayal of how the Red Sox are being run as well.

"I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool."

Takes job.

Ian Herbert: Rafael Benitez is not flawed because he grew tired of being abused at Chelsea

Interim-manager hit out amid banners and chants from sections of the Chelsea fans

It's going to get worse before it gets better and Rafael Benitez is aware of that fact. Chelsea are to allow all manner of banners into Stamford Bridge on Saturday. It is an invitation to open season on the manager and he knows it.

What an utterly wretched place he is in. The abuse has been so bad that opposition supporters have even used it as a stick to beat Chelsea. The Reading fans' chant of a few months ago – "Rafa Benitez, he thinks you're all scum" – was not lost on the manager. There will be plenty who take gratuitous pleasure in the way Benitez lost control on Wednesday night, just as they did when Arsène Wenger exploded, and attach it to the Spaniard's legendary "facts" speech – which has always been mistakenly characterised as a "rant" – as evidence of a character flaw.

But are we so accustomed to football descending into a pantomime and Punch and Judy show that we have lost sight of the effects of denying someone the most basic level of civility? Is an individual flawed when the abuse which he has attempted to grin and bear has gradually worn him down?

It is certainly the supporters who drove him to speak out at the Riverside, even though the most significant aspect of his declaration related to his title as "interim" manager – which "someone made a mistake" by bestowing on him, he said. Make no mistake: Benitez has never been happy with that title. He does not feel it formed part of his initial conversations about the Chelsea job, with technical director, Michael Emenalo, and others. Yet it was there in black and white when he arrived to sign the contract. There were attempts to make it seem acceptable to him – "we just want to get you started," he was told – leaving him with a decision to make, there and then, about whether to accept the title or walk away. Benitez, who wanted this opportunity, decided he would live with it and signed.

Little did he imagine when doing so just how many ways to discredit him there would be. The first materialised barely a day into his tenure, when a 2007 quote ascribed to him was raked up. "Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players. Every manager wants to coach a big team. But I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool. No matter what," he was quoted as saying. Benitez was Liverpool manager in 2007, so how could he have called them his "former club" back then?

The quote, it turned out, was fabricated – disseminated by a 15-year-old tweeter from the Czech Republic who was a fan of Benitez, felt betrayed by his appointment at Chelsea and decided to cause him some trouble. The boy's Twitter avatar photo was a cartoon of his hero Benitez. But the lie was half way around the world before the truth could pull its trousers on. The "quote" was widely published and became a part of the "Benitez hates Chelsea" myth.

There were limitations, too. Fernando Torres, diminished by a lack of weight training, had a different mindset. He was overcomplicating things; thinking too much about movements into goalscoring positions which had once been second nature. He was too quick to blame others.

That much could be dealt with – a word here, a conversation there – but the abuse has been less easy.

There then followed a team meeting on Monday during which John Terry took on the role of challenger to the manager, familiar to him from England's 2010 World Cup campaign. Benitez felt it has been wrongly construed as an insurrection.

This unpleasantness is finite. Benitez's aim is to complete his last three months, get out with his pride and reputation intact and perhaps deliver a couple of trophies to have the last word.

Of course, humanity's capacity to destroy is infinite. Chelsea's fans can drive him out before the summer, if they really can't wait. Banner day beckons. We await to discover football's depths of inhumanity.

How Benitez was misquoted

"Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players. Every manager wants to coach a big team. But I could never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool." This quote has been used to beat Benitez since he arrived at Stamford Bridge but he never actually said it. It came from a 15-year-old Tweeter from the Czech Republic who had a Benitez photo on his account and became part of the myth.

http://www.independe...ea-8515815.html

His other quote was put up on the walls at Liverpool's training ground.

A7Vzp4WCQAEMR9L.jpg

I got that from a Chelsea forum. I also got the one below from there for good measure.

wk0gg9.jpg

It's starting to make the United/Liverpool rivalry look a bit soft.

Well that (at least partially) makes me look a little silly. Could have sworn it was on the same plaque as pictured above, which I did know about.

I'm still confused though, why, if "Interim Manager" is THAT important to him, did he sign the contract?

I've got a six year old daughter too. She recently mentioned she liked Manchester United. :seanr:

I'd take her down the Villa, but Manchester United comment apart (and I think she only said it because Manchester United were on TV at that moment in time) she has shown such little interest in football that I fear she would be bored after twenty minutes and want to go home. Going to see your first game is amazing though. I still remember mine and it was twenty years ago. Hope you and your daughter have a good day! :hat:

I'm taking my six year old daughter to her first ever game tomorrow and she is bouncing off the walls with excitement and has already got her little shirt out, her hat and packed a bag full of sweets. She said she was going to cheer the loudest when we score a goal and boo the other team. She usually goes to bed at 7 but she's only just settled down...

...Plymouth vs Barnet :lol:

I actually can'twait to take her as I've run out of lucky socks.

You have done a better job than I have with my daughters, took Amy a few years back so about 8 or so and she was pretty bored by half time (Norwich v Everton) I think Tracy has secretly been coaching them to not like football as neither show any interest :(

Del Piero just scored another cracker for Sydney, this time against Perth, regardless of the quality of the league it really is a pleasure to be able to watch him play and he's staying for next season as well, which is nice.

Let's say that you used to be a member of LiveOnlineFooty.

Assume that there was a website out there that may be from the same people. For argument's sake, let's call it http://news-source.tv/

Imagine this site has a link to login and just happened to accept your LiveOnlineFooty login details without asking you for payment.

Well, that'd be something, wouldn't it?

No HD yet, but good stuff. I've been doing month long Plus1HD subs whilst waiting for a better option.

I've only just been told about it, the St Mirren Celtic game looked okay but it doesn't work on the Wii U or PS3, despite saying it has iPad/Android friendly streams.

I'll check it out for the 3pm kick offs, it already looks better than the free ones I've been using. It's just annoying no one does html5 streams.

Let's say that you used to be a member of LiveOnlineFooty.

Assume that there was a website out there that may be from the same people. For argument's sake, let's call it http://news-source.tv/

Imagine this site has a link to login and just happened to accept your LiveOnlineFooty login details without asking you for payment.

Well, that'd be something, wouldn't it?

It's better than Plus 1 already!