Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

The only way the ref could send him off in law is if he thought Nani used excessive force, which he didn't. Or that he endangered the safety of Arbeloa, which again he didn't.

Ravern: The playing in a dangerous manner you quote is for challenges when no physical contact is made. Such as a high foot which does not connect with an opponent.

The only way the ref could send him off in law is if he thought Nani used excessive force, which he didn't. Or that he endangered the safety of Arbeloa, which again he didn't.

Ravern: The playing in a dangerous manner you quote is for challenges when no physical contact is made. Such as a high foot which does not connect with an opponent.

Sorry, yes, you're correct. A caution for reckless play, then.

Sorry, yes, you're correct. A caution for reckless play, then.

Agreed. Also it couldn't have come under violent conduct as that only applies when the player is not challenging for the ball, so only serious foul play. Apologies for being a pedant.

It's not a red. Nani clearly had no intent to do anything other than control the ball. It was dangerous play, his studs were high, he deserved a yellow. But for it to be a red he would have had to shown clear intent to harm the player, or deny the player a clear scoring chance. He didn't see him coming, and he was no where near the goal.

Keane wouldn't understand this because as soon as he was on the pitch he wanted to harm players at all times.

It was never a red card offence, Nani's intent was to control the ball. Probably a yellow for a reckless challenge, no more than that though.

But, are our referees are clearly more lenient with this sort of thing? The Torres challenge on Cleverley for example, from earlier in the season, which was given as a yellow card; that should've been a straight red for dangerous play.

ltpfa.gif

I wonder if the ref was also taking into account that both players had jumped - if Arbeloa had remained on the ground, that easily would have caught him in the face.

@Bleeders - England has always been more physical than European leagues, so you often see bookings in European ties that you wouldn't see in the Premier League.

Mourinho's job interview, sorry press conference, after the game was quite amusing. I think he over done it slightly with the praise for SAF and the Utd players. Not sure if his players or his board will be too impressed.

Don't think it suits him to be so humble and full of praise for his opponents but like I said he's obviously looking ahead.

This is the 38 people the ref from last night follows on twitter. Made me chuckle. They include lots of the Turkish clubs official pages.

And Ronaldo's official page and the Real Madrid official page. (And a Messi and Barca page too)

And the Spanish tourist board just for good measure.

I love a good conspiracy theory.

This is the 38 people the ref from last night follows on twitter. Made me chuckle. They include lots of the Turkish clubs official pages.

And Ronaldo's official page and the Real Madrid official page. (And a Messi and Barca page too)

And the Spanish tourist board just for good measure.

I love a good conspiracy theory.

I'm getting a 'sorry, something went wrong' message on that link. No need to rub it in, Twitter.

Mourinho's job interview, sorry press conference, after the game was quite amusing. I think he over done it slightly with the praise for SAF and the Utd players. Not sure if his players or his board will be too impressed.

Don't think it suits him to be so humble and full of praise for his opponents but like I said he's obviously looking ahead.

Yeah, I thought Mourinho's comments and general demeanour throughout the whole evening were fascinating. It did make me wonder if there's already something lined up and Fergie's thinking of retiring/moving upstairs again. He wouldn't come out and publicly admit it after the dip in performance last time and we all know Mourinho can't get out of Madrid fast enough to come back to the Premier League. Plus, who else would have the balls to take over from Ferguson?

Maybe he's just keeping his options open.

Yeah, I thought Mourinho's comments and general demeanour throughout the whole evening were fascinating. It did make me wonder if there's already something lined up and Fergie's thinking of retiring/moving upstairs again. He wouldn't come out and publicly admit it after the dip in performance last time and we all know Mourinho can't get out of Madrid fast enough to come back to the Premier League. Plus, who else would have the balls to take over from Ferguson?

Maybe he's just keeping his options open.

I reckon he is just trying to keep RM from getting carried away with this and the wins against barca.

Apart from the possibility that the incoming manager might not be as obsessed with wingers as he is, fine, we'll have it your way. Sir Alex is gone in the summer. Welcome to Old Trafford, Mourinho! Don't forget to pack Ronaldo.

I can't see Mourinho going there. I don't doubt that he wants the position but I just can't help think he's a bit too outspoken for the Glazers and would be happy to point the finger if things didn't go well while they quietly continue with their financial shenanigans.

That said, I don't know who will be next but I don't think Fergie is done yet. Unfortunately for everyone else. Bastard.

Actually thinking about it some more - it was dangerous play. As Keane said; he knew other players were on the pitch. And as that video proves he had a look round and saw the player.

If you put your foot up like that, with studs showing, it's dangerous play. Let's say someone goes in for a tackle and they don't get the ball. If they "fly in" or "their feet leave the ground" - then they still get sent off.

Evra's action was out of control. The result is that he could have injured someone badly, and he knew the player was there.

I wonder how many Man U fans thought this wasn't a red?

So a very good decision all in all. The ref got it EXACTLY RIGHT.

He should have sent Raphael off though. That dive for an attempted penalty was lame, and the handball on the line was blatent.

ronaldo_wink_feature.jpg

Dangerous play isn't a de facto red card, though. An overhead kick in a crowded box is dangerous play. Swinging a kick at a loose ball when the keeper is about to dive on it is dangerous play. Sliding into the posts in the manner of Phil Babb is dangerous play. ;)

It really just boils down to determining whether or not the play was reckless, or if it used excessive force. In my view, Nani's not guilty of the latter.

Actually thinking about it some more - it was dangerous play. As Keane said; he knew other players were on the pitch. And as that video proves he had a look round and saw the player.

If you put your foot up like that, with studs showing, it's dangerous play. Let's say someone goes in for a tackle and they don't get the ball. If they "fly in" or "their feet leave the ground" - then they still get sent off.

Evra's action was out of control. The result is that he could have injured someone badly, and he knew the player was there.

I wonder how many Man U fans thought this wasn't a red?

So a very good decision all in all. The ref got it EXACTLY RIGHT.

He should have sent Raphael off though. That dive for an attempted penalty was lame, and the handball on the line was blatent.

You're comparing the full bodyweight of a player being behind a tackle along the ground with a jump up in the air? Really?

It really just boils down to determining whether or not the play was reckless, or if it used excessive force. In my view, Nani's not guilty of the latter.

Showing your studs at face height is reckless. Are you arguing that it's not?