IGNORED

Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

:D That's great, who is it?

No idea, thought someone here might have a clue.

I'd just to like watching the great but flawed Barcelona team with Rivaldo & Figo or Cruyffs team over this Barcelona team anyday, there's just something so contrived and dull about this team

What the fuck is contrived about them?

Have any of you heard about this Qatar invitation they want to hold? Every 2 years they invite 24 of the top elite teams in the world for a summer tournament with the winner getting prize money of $175m. That's fucking crazy. That would sort the winning team transfer budget out for like 5 years, not to mention if they won 2 in a row.

This type of thing will kill all small/mid table clubs and shouldn't be allowed.

Yeah have the tournament, that's fine but the prize money is utter ridiculous. Plus the fact it'll just be the same teams all the time and would only benefit them.

Have any of you heard about this Qatar invitation they want to hold? Every 2 years they invite 24 of the top elite teams in the world for a summer tournament with the winner getting prize money of $175m. That's fucking crazy. That would sort the winning team transfer budget out for like 5 years, not to mention if they won 2 in a row.

This type of thing will kill all small/mid table clubs and shouldn't be allowed.

Yeah have the tournament, that's fine but the prize money is utter ridiculous. Plus the fact it'll just be the same teams all the time and would only benefit them.

It'd be bloody hot and British teams would be tired already.

But.. hell yeah. I'd love to see a worldwide equivalent of club football in a World Cup format, the money makes it hilarious, why not? Why shouldn't it be allowed? No one 'controls' football, if they want to put this money into it then sure, why not.

As for the elite teams, it depends on when the tournament is, if it's in two years, I'm not sure, but as of now?

Man United

Man City

Juve

Barca

Real

Munich

PSG

They'll probably put the Milan teams in if it's just based on what they want rather than reigning champions, Asia is a tough one because so many of the teams and utter gash, same with the Middle East. LA Galaxy and NY Red Bulls may be in there, as with Santos and whoever else is big down south.

Regardless of how it turns out I'll watch it.

You could do that (but skip the not-so-good nations) and add in the ROTW.

If it was official that is what they would probably do but since this is just (or seems to be) a bit of a circus extravaganza they will have no interest in the smaller nations and it will just be some invitation thing to the big clubs.

It'd be bloody hot and British teams would be tired already.

But.. hell yeah. I'd love to see a worldwide equivalent of club football in a World Cup format, the money makes it hilarious, why not? Why shouldn't it be allowed? No one 'controls' football, if they want to put this money into it then sure, why not.

As for the elite teams, it depends on when the tournament is, if it's in two years, I'm not sure, but as of now?

Man United

Man City

Juve

Barca

Real

Munich

PSG

They'll probably put the Milan teams in if it's just based on what they want rather than reigning champions, Asia is a tough one because so many of the teams and utter gash, same with the Middle East. LA Galaxy and NY Red Bulls may be in there, as with Santos and whoever else is big down south.

Regardless of how it turns out I'll watch it.

No I agree the tournament idea is brilliant the money is stupid thought. Plus you're only happy with the money cause your team would always be a favourite to win it :P

I imagine these "elite teams" would also be more about names too. I'm sure a few lesser teams would be invited just because they might have a big world star playing for them or they have a big world brand.

They are almost too good. Sport is about competition and with Barca you either get them passing the other team to death or the opposition camped on their own box trying to strangle the life out of the game. Nobody has a go at Barca as it would be madness and sometimes their games can be a bit "waiting for Messi to do his thing".

Just lucky that thing is damn sexy sometimes.

Even the Madrid games which they lost recently were a bit sterile.

Random fact of the day yoinked from twitter: Barcelona have played three games during Papal Conclaves and have won them all 4-0.

Tres partidos oficiales del Barça durante un Cónclave Papal: 4-0 vs Madrid (26.10.58), 4-0 vs Las Palmas (14.10.78), 4-0 vs Milan (12.03.13)

No I agree the tournament idea is brilliant the money is stupid thought. Plus you're only happy with the money cause your team would always be a favourite to win it :P

I imagine these "elite teams" would also be more about names too. I'm sure a few lesser teams would be invited just because they might have a big world star playing for them or they have a big world brand.

:lol: I'm really not bothered about us winning it or getting more money, it's at the point where the top teams in Spain, Germany, France, Italy and the UK have enough so it's more about playing. I love watching the big teams face off as most do, United v Madrid was brilliant, Milan and Barcelona was pretty good and the latter stages of the CL are going to be great. For sure it'd be about the names, but I don't see that as a bad thing if those names are playing in good sides (which more often than not they do).

Hopefully it's not made up though.

Random fact of the day yoinked from twitter: Barcelona have played three games during Papal Conclaves and have won them all 4-0.

That's a brilliant fact. I'm not sure what is more bizarre, that it happened or that someone noticed.

So it would be every summer between the Euros and World Cup? Players are going to be fucked.

Alright it might just be a hoax, but if it is true then it's only going to be the same teams as you see in the Champions League more or less, playing for a trophy that has no prestige or value but comes with a ridiculous amount of prize money. Several pages back some people were complaining about how often Real and Barca play each other and how it loses some of it's magic. We want to stick them into yet another competition where they can face each other? I honestly couldn't be arsed to watch this Qatar Cup or whatever it is. I can live without football for a couple of months each year. The weeks where we go without are part of the fun, aren't they?