Football Thread 2012/13

Falcao? David Nugent for England?

I thought of Falcao and Cavani, but I've not seen him enough. There's probably a lot of consistently good players too but I'm thinking exceptional ones. I'd definitely have Suarez in my World XI squad. Just gave me the idea of an evil 11 actually. Michael Brown in a holding role. Suarez and Diouf up front. Neil Ruddock. You could make a comically evil team quite easily.

First stab at a World Evil XI:

--Suarez---------Marlon King--------Robben

-----------------Van Bommel----------------------

--------------Barton------Busquets----------------

Alves--------Pepe------Terry-------Materazzi

-------------------------?----------------------------

Manager: Graham Rix.

Can't think of a goalie.

Break his leg and end his career :)

He finished that game after being the victim of a pre meditated assaulted. He played four days later for his country and then played for his club the following Saturday. He retired due to a long standing injury on the knee that wasn't hit. The same left knee that wasn't hit that was padded/strapped up prior to the game and can be clearly seen bandaged, the one that had already had numerous failed operations on it.

In regards to Cantona United banned him less than 24 hours after the incident for the rest of the season (5 months) and well before the FA sanctioned a longer ban of 8 months. This was for responding violently to being racially abused, though all this gets forgotten.

xenophobic abuse, surely?

We did this a while back, think maybe Lehmann got a mention as a goalie.

But then Sirloin came out with some South American guy that killed someone and an eastern European footballer (Mihailovic?) who was friends with a war criminal. Seems harsh to even link the likes of Suarez to them. He hasn't killed anyone....

yet!

Yeah I was thinking Jens Lehamnn.

How come Robben and (Dani?) Alves? I assume Busquets for his eye-peeking, he seems very quiet really. I'd put Roy Keane there instead.

Real Madrid have cleaned up on evil centre backs, heaven't they?

Can't think of a goalie.

Harald Schumacher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Schumacher

Edit: Or is this current, playing first 11?

Edit 2: Looks not. Don't we need a spot for Lee Bowyer in there somewhere?

Good call. Being a bit of a shit isn't going to cut it. Nearly killing someone on the pitch or actually breaking the law is going to be needed. I'd say Schumacher edges out Lehmann.

Schumacher appeared to jump directly at Battiston, and collided with him in mid-air.[1] Battiston was knocked unconscious, and later slipped into a coma.

2 minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UnMBH3EGWM

I was goingt o say Schumacher is the obvious choice.

Break his leg and end his career :)

He finished that game after being the victim of a pre meditated assaulted. He played four days later for his country and then played for his club the following Saturday. He retired due to a long standing injury on the knee that wasn't hit. The same left knee that wasn't hit that was padded/strapped up prior to the game and can be clearly seen bandaged, the one that had already had numerous failed operations on it.

In regards to Cantona United banned him less than 24 hours after the incident for the rest of the season (5 months) and well before the FA sanctioned a longer ban of 8 months. This was for responding violently to being racially abused, though all this gets forgotten. It's worth pointing out that Simmons denied saying anything ("Fuck off, fuck off you motherfucking French bastard" is what Cantona claimed in court and people at the ground claim). It was later revealed was a signed up member of the BNP and National Front, with a previous conviction of violent assault when he smashed some Indian guy over the head with a spanner in an attempted robbery.

Your point being?

Can't think of a goalie.

Bruno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Fernandes_de_Souza

Guys I've found them someone to play against:

----------------Owen----------Lineker------------

-S.Cazorla---Le Tissier--Beckham----Walcott--

Baines----Kompany---Hangeland----K.Kilbane

----------------------De Gea------------------------

Your point being?

That Keane neither broke his leg nor ended his career as you stated. Rather he committed the same tackle Jamie Carragher has numerous times. Keanes get mentioned by the fact it was pre meditated and this admission was what led to him receiving a cumulative 8 game ban (3 for the challenge, 5 for the words), so you can't claim he wasn't punished.

That United took immediate action and imposed a long and proper ban on Cantona, so clearly didn't condone or accept his behaviour. Which is the basic gist of the conversation, of what Liverpool should or shouldn't do.

Went for a team of the most talented players who happen to be a bit nasty, rather than of the nastiest players. Also limited to current players.

Forwards: Suarez, Rooney

Midfield: Nasri, Van Bommel, Barton

Defence: Cole, Pepe, Huth, Terry, Ramos

Keeper: Can't think of one...

...and a nice team to cleanse the palate:

Forwards: Messi, Hernandez, Forlan

Midfield: Iniesta, Seedorf, Cazorla

Defence: Baines, Puyol, Kompany, Lahm

Keeper: Howard

That Keane neither broke his leg nor ended his career as you stated. Rather he committed the same tackle Jamie Carragher has numerous times. Keanes get mentioned by the fact it was pre meditated and this admission was what led to him receiving a cumulative 8 game ban (3 for the challenge, 5 for the words), so you can't claim he wasn't punished.

OK, how about I put attempts to break player's leg and end career.

Having not watched the entirety of Carragher's career, I can't say he hasn't ever made a tackle like that, but as you're so sure, mind linking me up with one. Ta.

Seedorf seems like a lovely chap in person, and I can't remember him ever doing anything scummy on the pitch, plus he is a very fine footballer. Puyol I admire for his unfussy approach to the game, and his hair. Forlan again is a very fine player... I don't think I have much of a reason besides his goals in South Africa, and I can't remember him ever doing anything to piss anyone off.

Santiago Silva as well for that team, Cantona only assaulted one fan, he went into a load of fans and tried to whack them all. There was some other Brazilian a couple of years back that kidnapped his girlfriend and tied her to a tree (different to the one who killed his girlfriend). There was some German bloke who used to play for Man City too who was implicated in car theft rings in Mexico. All sorts of mentals play football in South America. One of the Argie teams (possibly Tigre) had a massive brawl with Brazilian riot police half way through a game the other week.