Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

We have sold Sinclair to Man City, he's apparently retired from first team football. No great loss, he was predictable, slowed our play down and was refusing to sign a new contract. Good news is that we have replaced him with Pablo Hernandez, Spanish international from Valencia who cost us 5mil.

We've come out of it better.

We have sold Sinclair to Man City, he's apparently retired from first team football. No great loss, he was predictable, slowed our play down and was refusing to sign a new contract. Good news is that we have replaced him with Pablo Hernandez, Spanish international from Valencia who cost us 5mil.

We've come out of it better.

Swansea taking their form on the pitch to the transfer market. This is amazing stuff.

Plus Laudrup.

pure knee jerk two games into the season Swansea for Europe reaction.

I don't post in the football section very much but this has been on the TV so much over here I wanted to vent it somewhere just because of how great it was. Two former students of mine are on the Japanese under-20 national team, and one of them (Yoko Tanaka) is on the same club team as Sawa and is absolutely running away with the Under 20 Womens World Cup going on at the minute in Japan.

Check this shit out the other day against the Swiss

Since then they knocked the Koreans out too.

Champions League draw 2012 - 2013

Group A: Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Paris St Germain, Dinamo Zagreb

Group B: Arsenal, Schalke, Olympiakos, Montpellier

Group C: AC Milan, Zenit St Petersburg, Anderlecht, Malaga

Group D: Real Madrid, Manchester City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund

Group E: Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, FC Nordsjaelland

Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lille, BATE Borisov

Group G: Barcelona, Benfica, Spartak Moscow, Celtic

Group H: Manchester United, Braga, Galatasaray, CFR Cluj

I didn't think it could be worse than last year for City. Fuck's sake. If you are Celtic you could just (and only just) console yourself with thinking 'it's nice to play the big boys' but I would ttrade getting pounded by Ronaldo et al for grinding out results against FC Tinpot and a place in the quarter finals any day.

I can't see a harder group and it's not like the favourites don't fuck up on a regular basis in the CL.

Yeah, but it's also the group you have to go back furthest (ten years) to find a CL finalist. Now if PSG had got the third spot, it might have been ridiculous, but the French moneybags have conveniently got a draw any top seed would be chuffed with instead.

Good point. It seems I was wrong, though I did enjoy posting that photo. From wikipaedia:

'The club coefficient rankings are determined by the results of clubs in the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League over the previous five seasons, as well as by the coefficient of the clubs' association. The club coefficient is the sum of the points earned by the club over the five seasons plus 20% of the club's association coefficient.[11][12]

The clubs receive two points for a win, one point for a draw, and no points for a defeat in games of the main stage of the Champions League and the Europa League (group stage). Qualifying round results are only taken into account if the team is eliminated in one of the rounds (see table below). Otherwise, the qualifying round results are taken into account only for the calculation of the association's coefficient and are halved.[11] The clubs do not receive any points for elimination in the Champions League third qualifying round or the play-off because those teams move to the Europa League and receive points from participation in that competition. In addition, results of penalty shoot-outs do not affect club coefficients.[12]'

Looks like City's eruopa league runs over the past few years have bumped them up quite a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient#UEFA_Team_Ranking

It's already exciting on transfer deadline day as pictures of Charlie Adam just arriving at Stoke are beamed into living rooms around the country.

He was due there half an hour earlier but was late, crashing his car into a new team mates car when entering the stadium.