Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

A couple of things from yesterday;

Norwich really deserved more from their game, and I cant see how that penalty claim wasn't given. Friedel was immense though, it would be pretty harsh to drop him after that game. 'Arry reckoned Spurs would be top 4, on this I can't see that, though they have the potential to push for there. What they do in the Jan transfer window could be key to that though.

Adam did pretty well for us, I can see us getting some goals from his free kicks. Another immense save from the Wigan keeper stopped us from knocking the win - it was so good even some of the Stoke players went up and said well done!

Had to laugh at the look on Dzekos face when Tevez deflected his shot in - everyone else ran up while he stood there for a bit with a look that said "oi you thieving shit that should have been my goal". Thou looking at the replay I'm not sure his shot was on target. It's always a bit daft to make predictions after a few games but City don't seem as strong as last year somehow. Will be interesting to see how the new signings fit in. Though it helps that the competition doesn't seem as strong as in the past either.

The problem with Spurs is they have AVB as the manager and he's doing exactly what he did at Chelsea again - getting rid of a load of the core, established players who make the team what they are. I'm, not sure why Daniel Levy didn't go and splash the cash on David Moyes or get Martin Jol back. Spurs are destined to achieve nothing under AVB.

Whatever you think of Redknapp, he's managed some pretty entertaining teams and it was a mistake to get AVB in.

They had no choice at all when it came to Modric, and it looks like little when it came to Rafa. Apart from that they've sold nobody important. Losing King was a bitter blow and is one of the few times I've actually teared up a bit at the loss of a player, but it was sadly inevitable.

So yeah, no.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/168110.html#

Gibson withdraws from Ireland squad

Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has been rocked by the news that Darron Gibson has withdrawn from his squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifier in Kazakhstan after he decided he did not want to play for the veteran Italian coach.

Everton midfielder Gibson is still smarting from his lack of action as he warmed the bench for Ireland at Euro 2012 and has opted to step back from international football rather than fight for a place in a revamped Irish midfield.

With Keith Andrews suspended for next Friday's game, Trapattoni may have been tempted to start with Gibson, yet that option has now been taken away from him.

"Darron has said that although he doesn't want to let anyone down, he doesn't feel ready to ready to return to the squad for this fixture after the disappointment of Euro 2012," Trapattoni said. "As we embark upon a brand new campaign, he is very much in my plans and I consider him to be a key player for Ireland for this campaign.

"So when Darron informed me of his decision to withdraw, I called him to talk things through, but he will not come with us this time.

"I hope that Darron will take this time to reflect positively on his international career, and return to us in time for the Germany game in October."

Jeez swallow some pride, ok he got splinters on the bench in the Ukraine, but you have a chance of getting your team to a World Cup.

Fabregas sits on the bench for Barcelona and Spain from time to time and he's a much more gifted footballer, unless Gibson sees himself as ROI version of either Xavi or Iniesta of course... ;)

I read that Gibson story in a state of disbelief.

"I can't play, I'm still too disappointed!"

Oh suck it up, you utter gobshite. It hasn't stopped you taking to the field with Everton. You're just having a whinge about some sense of entitlement.

If I had my way, players who withdraw from competitive internationals for spurious reasons such as this should be inelligible for the entire campaign and subsequent tournament.

Had to laugh at the look on Dzekos face when Tevez deflected his shot in - everyone else ran up while he stood there for a bit with a look that said "oi you thieving shit that should have been my goal". Thou looking at the replay I'm not sure his shot was on target.

Yeah, that made me chuckle too. Though you just know Dzeko would have done exactly the same thing had he and Tevez been standing in opposite positions. :lol:

The problem with Spurs is they have AVB as the manager and he's doing exactly what he did at Chelsea again - getting rid of a load of the core, established players who make the team what they are. I'm, not sure why Daniel Levy didn't go and splash the cash on David Moyes or get Martin Jol back. Spurs are destined to achieve nothing under AVB.

Whatever you think of Redknapp, he's managed some pretty entertaining teams and it was a mistake to get AVB in.

Not really a regular footy thread contributor, I was just about to post the same thing. AVB seems like a crap call centre middle manager, too concerned about asserting his authority, making players train overly hard, rigidly sticking to his systems and being seen in control of the dressing room. Harry was more interested in buying players he trusted and saying you know what youre doing, go do it. If I was adebayor, id be gutted about AVB being in charge. I think hes a total liability as a manager, gets way less out of players than Harry, and saps all the fun out of a team. Its like the difference in experience between someone whos been around the block and knows how to smell the roses, and a young control freak.

Lampard and Cole didn't like AVB, Hulk, Moutinho and Falcao did. The man (a bit like Wenger) gets an unreasonable amount of stick in the UK. I guess this is for having the temerity to be young confident and annoying the saintly patrons of the English game in Redknapp and Lampard.

Not really a regular footy thread contributor, I was just about to post the same thing. AVB seems like a crap call centre middle manager, too concerned about asserting his authority, making players train overly hard, rigidly sticking to his systems and being seen in control of the dressing room. Harry was more interested in buying players he trusted and saying you know what youre doing, go do it. If I was adebayor, id be gutted about AVB being in charge. I think hes a total liability as a manager, gets way less out of players than Harry, and saps all the fun out of a team. Its like the difference in experience between someone whos been around the block and knows how to smell the roses, and a young control freak.

I think you're exceptionally harsh on somebody who, unless you follow Portuguese football, you've only had nine months of exposure to. Yes, he has his desired way of playing, but it follows that any change in system requires time to take effect. His insistence on those systems when he doesn't have the players to effectively carry them out is a weak point, that much is true.

Reina again lol.

Does anyone know why keepers never save anything with their feet? Obvs its better to catch it if you can, but for shots like that where it's close to you and almost impossible to get down in time... surely it's just so much easier to stick you leg out and get something behind it.

Reina again lol.

Does anyone know why keepers never save anything with their feet? Obvs its better to catch it if you can, but for shots like that where it's close to you and almost impossible to get down in time... surely it's just so much easier to stick you leg out and get something behind it.

Were you watching the first half? Reina tried to stop Podolski's goal with his leg.

Newcastle United 0-1 Aston Villa (ht)

Decent game so far. Villa were superb for half an hour and deservedly took the lead, Newcastle came back into the game towards the end of the half but didnt create too many chances of note, though they probably should have done better with a free header from a corner right on half time. From a Villa point of view we look very narrow, its obviously by design and we are playing through the middle quite well when we have the ball, but I fear we are going to be vulnerable to a Newcastle player in acres of space on the counter attack as the wings are wide open. One good cross could see us concede, but for now we are playing well. I hope Lambert addresses that at half time though.

Were you watching the first half? Reina tried to stop Podolski's goal with his leg.

He basically collapsed on the ground? Keepers will stick a leg out when they've already dived the wrong way if it's their only chance, as Reina sort of did there. But they'll never actually try to save anything with their feet, even if the shot's close enough to them to do so, and too powerful for them to get down in time.

Regardless, Rickie Lambert Celebrate.

He basically collapsed on the ground? Keepers will stick a leg out when they've already dived the wrong way if it's their only chance, as Reina sort of did there. But they'll never actually try to save anything with their feet, even if the shot's close enough to them to do so, and too powerful for them to get down in time.

Because it's harder to do than you'd think, and you look like an absolute twat if it goes wrong. If you try and save something with your foot and the ball bobbles over it, it's too late to do anything about it. Or if it's that powerful it could hit your foot and go anywhere. If you've got your whole body behind it then you stop it and are in control of it. Obviously it doesn't work all the time but it's a percentages thing, if they try and save everything with their feet if there's the chance to do so, they'll let in far more.